F**k you, Deaf "Community"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about every parents feel that way, and just about every single one of them are saying F--ck you. When their child grow up feeling the same way as we all did. Then what?

Nothing new.

I responded to this thread several years ago when it was newly posted.

LOL is all I can do at the author of that post. The person who wrote (as well as the many respondents), had an extremely misinformed and limited exposure to deafness, Deaf people, and ASL. Sure, there are many legitimate concerns in that post, but the person came across as a pathetic, slimy, foul-mouthed bigot. Must be one of Rick41's acolytes. Pretty ironic given the title of that forum (LOL, again).

I'm sure his child is going to grow up happy and well-adjusted coming from such an upstanding, mature father.

Oh, and I'm sure the wife is going to make a fantastic interpreter.

:roll:

Just about every parents feel that way, and just about every single one of them are saying F--ck you. When their child grow up feeling the same way as we all did. Then what?

Nothing new.

Yup, same old shit.

LOL is all I can do at the author of that post. The person who wrote (as well as the many respondents), had an extremely misinformed and limited exposure to deafness, Deaf people, and ASL. Sure, there are many legitimate concerns in that post, but the person came across as a pathetic, slimy, foul-mouthed bigot. Must be one of Rick41's acolytes. Pretty ironic given the title of that forum (LOL, again).

I'm sure his child is going to grow up happy and well-adjusted coming from such an upstanding, mature father.

Oh, and I'm sure the wife is going to make a fantastic interpreter.

:roll:

Perhaps it's the Deaf community not respecting the parents for their decisions and calling them a monster and such? Nothing mature about that either.

Perhaps it's the Deaf community not respecting the parents for their decisions and calling them a monster and such? Nothing mature about that either.

That doesnt make this parent any more mature as well. I dont like some hearing people and I hate the audist views but I dont go around saying F**ck you to the hearing world.

That doesnt make this parent any more mature as well. I dont like some hearing people and I hate the audist views but I dont go around saying F**ck you to the hearing world.

Some Deaf people do.

Some Deaf people do.

That doesnt make them mature either.

Hearing people who behave that way dont have a better justification than those deaf people who behave that way.

What's the point of posting this thread?

It's the same thing that has been posted on AllDeaf several times.

That doesnt make them mature either.

Hearing people who behave that way dont have a better justification than those deaf people who behave that way.

How would you know? I'm not in his shoes. I don't think he was aiming at everybody in the Deaf community. Just those who go after him and his wife by calling them "monsters" and such for implanting their deaf child.

Our family is learning ASL, and have been since we learned our daughter was profoundly deaf. We will use sign as a second language, indefinitely. My wife is in school to become an interpreter. Nor do we believe in a purely oralist tradition; we acknowledge the importance of communication between deaf people without assistance. We get it, ok? We're committed. But because we gave our daughter cochlear implants, you automatically believe that we're out to destroy ASL, to destroy Deaf culture. You never listen to our reasoning, because what do we know? We're motivated by a desire to mingle in both worlds, and yet we're constantly scoffed at by the Deafies on principle.

How would you know? I'm not in his shoes. I don't think he was aiming at everybody in the Deaf community. Just those who go after him and his wife by calling them "monsters" and such for implanting their deaf child.

They are wrong for doing that but the father is wrong for saying F*ck you to all of us because of the immaturity of some Deaf people. I am not responsible for every Deaf person just because I am a part of the Deaf community. That makes this father just as immature.

They are wrong for doing that but the father is wrong for saying F*ck you to all of us because of the immaturity of some Deaf people. I am not responsible for every Deaf person just because I am a part of the Deaf community. That makes this father just as immature.

Perhaps so but he's justified in his anger and disappointment by some in the Deaf community.

Perhaps so but he's justified in his anger and disappointment by some in the Deaf community.

I understand that. I just think that there are more productive ways to express it. We all get angry with certain people but blaming a whole community isnt the answer.

Some people are angry by nature. Some people are addicted to being angry. If they don't get a good dose of anger going they will go find a reason.

I'm betting this parent was angry before the child was born, and had the child been hearing then he would be angry about something else. To me the post is more about ego than it is about the child or about D/deafness.

He's not an audist, he's just an ass.

Poor child.

Some people are angry by nature. Some people are addicted to being angry. If they don't get a good dose of anger going they will go find a reason.

I'm betting this parent was angry before the child was born, and had the child been hearing then he would be angry about something else. To me the post is more about ego than it is about the child or about D/deafness.

Poor child.

Good point of view...never thought of it that way.

This thread makes me truly wonder about the state of minds those parents who contribute to the threads.

Are those parents aware they are contributing to the toxicity of their own children's formative years?

So you had a CI on your own Deaf child, it was your own parental decision. The constant need to go around on forums to post your justification does make me wonder if you, as a parent, are aware that you can be damaging your child's formative years.

If you say the CI is a wonderful thing, then leave it be.

Poor child.

This could also been an opportunity for him to vent his anger on the subject and needed his own way of airing. Unless you can vouch for sure he does this at every turn against the Deaf community then I'd be inclined to agree with you. I can tell you a few Deaf people who seem certainly addicted to being angry who lob at every opportunity against the hearing community on a constant basis. Perhaps to a certain segment of the hearing society though not necessarily as a whole. The same goes for the hearing father. Though I'm not here to judge whether the hearing father was angry or not before his daughter was born. Not my thing to speculate with little information to go on. He was there. He said his "peace" and probably moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back