Exotic Wild Animal Escaped from Ohio Farm

Yes ! Next door ! My neighbor niece showed what the kitchen looked like and I was :eek3: ! There was huge pile of crap on the floor and there oil that used for oil lamps mixed in with clothes and paper! It was fire trap! My neighbor never let me see the inside of her apartment! and the funny thing was she complained that used too much garlic when cooking and she had shit on her walls! A huge dumper had to rented to get rid of all the crap that was in both bedrooms , the rooms where so packed my neighbor could not get to the windows to close the storm window s in the winter! It was VERY GROSS!! And no one knew this was going on. There is no hoarder polices going around checking up on hoarders!

I just saw on the news the guys that owned the animals had run out of money,
I thought that was what happen . People have no business buy lions bears etc, they're are wild animals and are not meant to a be a house pet! Look what happen to the woman that had face and hands bitten by a chimp!

His animals should have been removed as soon as the first animal got loose. That should have been a sign that the guy did not have the proper facilities for his animals.

The same applies for vicious dogs that get loose - they are usually removed from the home and put to sleep as they are deemed unadoptable and unsafe. Sadly, it is not the animal's fault. It is the fault of the person that raised it.

Here in Arkansas, if your dog gets loose and it attacks your neighbors animals, your neighbor has the right to shoot your dog on sight. Your dog is deemed a nuisance animal and so there is no penalty for shooting it.

If these exotic animals had gotten loose in my area, I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar several farmers would have lost livestock, and those farmers would be more than willing to join in on the hunt for the exotic animals with the intent to shoot to kill.

Also, I value human life more than someone's right to own exotic animals just because they can.

No one has any need for lion, tigers, bears, dolphins, sharks, etc. in their backyards. I don't care how much money they have. It's not good for the animal, and it's not good for the people.

As I said, exotic animals belong in zoos and wildlife sanctuaries. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than being kept in inadequate enclosures by someone that lacks the expertise and knowledge needed for these animals.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy exotic animals just as much as the next person, but private ownership of these is not a good idea at all.

JMHO.

Ohio governor signs executive order on dangerous animals - CNN.com
(CNN) -- Ohio's governor on Friday signed an executive order covering ownership of dangerous wild animals, which will strengthen enforcement of existing laws, and said he will push for tighter regulations through legislation.

Gov. John Kasich spoke to reporters just days after authorities in his state used lethal force against exotic animals on the loose.

Police believe the animals' owner, Terry Thompson, 62, freed the animals -- lions, tigers, leopards and grizzly bears -- at his preserve near Zanesville before dying from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

"Fortunately, today, I'm able to sign an executive order that will have teeth, that is founded in the law, and gives power to people," the governor said.

Among other directives, the executive order instructs the departments of agriculture, natural resources and health to work with local health officials, humane societies and law enforcement to identify locations where dangerous animals might be, investigate and enforce laws that are already on the books, Kasich said.

It also directs agencies to work with the zoos to safely house animals that are captured or confiscated, and orders the agriculture department to identify unlicensed auctions of dangerous animals and take appropriate action.

Finally, the order instructs the state's department of natural resources to develop a framework for legislative change by the end of November.

According to the governor, state officials do not currently have the authority to track down exotic and dangerous animals that are not native to Ohio.

"Let me be clear on this. We will seek statutory authority. Changes must be made in the law," said Kasich.

Ohio authorities were called to the area around Thompson's house Tuesday night.

Of the 56 animals released, only a grizzly bear, two monkeys and three leopards were taken alive, Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz said.

Killed were two wolves, six black bears, two grizzly bears, nine male lions, eight lionesses, one baboon, three mountain lions, and 18 Bengal tigers. One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, though Lutz, and conservationist Jack Hanna, said the animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats.

The Humane Society of the United States has said it does not fault authorities for using deadly force in such a situation.

However, on Friday, the group criticized the governor's response by saying the order he signed "is inadequate and sidesteps the central problems created by the exotic animal trade in Ohio.

"The Humane Society of the United States agrees with him (Kasich) that the legislature should enact a statute that addresses the problem, but in the interim, we need an executive order that bans the sale and acquisition of dangerous wild animals as pets or roadside attractions," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the group.

Well, at least it's a step in the right direction. We will see what happens in November.

I too am of the opinion that exotic animals are not to be kept as pets, or be owned by individuals. I don't even agree with having a monkey as a pet. I still have a scar after being bitten by a pet monkey. Luckily, I was with the family when he had gotten his vaccinations just the previous month.

His animals should have been removed as soon as the first animal got loose. That should have been a sign that the guy did not have the proper facilities for his animals.

The same applies for vicious dogs that get loose - they are usually removed from the home and put to sleep as they are deemed unadoptable and unsafe. Sadly, it is not the animal's fault. It is the fault of the person that raised it.

Here in Arkansas, if your dog gets loose and it attacks your neighbors animals, your neighbor has the right to shoot your dog on sight. Your dog is deemed a nuisance animal and so there is no penalty for shooting it.

If these exotic animals had gotten loose in my area, I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar several farmers would have lost livestock, and those farmers would be more than willing to join in on the hunt for the exotic animals with the intent to shoot to kill.

Also, I value human life more than someone's right to own exotic animals just because they can.

No one has any need for lion, tigers, bears, dolphins, sharks, etc. in their backyards. I don't care how much money they have. It's not good for the animal, and it's not good for the people.

As I said, exotic animals belong in zoos and wildlife sanctuaries. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than being kept in inadequate enclosures by someone that lacks the expertise and knowledge needed for these animals.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy exotic animals just as much as the next person, but private ownership of these is not a good idea at all.

JMHO.

No wild animals belong in their natural habitats! It is sad that they're losing their habitats for a numbers of reasons and man is a big cause of it.

No wild animals belong in their natural habitats! It is sad that they're losing their habitats for a numbers of reasons and man is a big cause of it.

they're not in their natural habitats in sanctuary or zoo either

they're not in their natural habitats in sanctuary or zoo either

Did you see what I was disagreeing with??? I am said they belong in their
'natural habitats' which be would the forests, jungle , oceans etc!! Of course zoos ARE not 'natural habitats !

I dont know if you know this, couple of fellas got arrested for tryin' to steal dead wild animals on the owner's property. Why? to stuff'em and sell'em. :lol:

the sheriff who ordered to shoot them(animals), his father was murdered in line of duty. he went on a call to robbery at gas station.

I dont know if you know this, couple of fellas got arrested for tryin' to steal dead wild animals on the owner's property. Why? to stuff'em and sell'em. :lol:

the sheriff who ordered to shoot them(animals), his father was murdered in line of duty. he went on a call to robbery at gas station.

My dad once hit a deer by mistake and killed it. He though he may as well take it home to eat and put it in the car trunk. My parents got pulled over a few miles later and the cop asked my dad where is the 'body'! He said "HUH" I hit a deer and showed it to the cop. Dad was told he could not bring the dead deer home that it will given to soup kitchen to feed homeless people. Right!! I bet the cop took it home! Someone reported my dad hit a person and stuffed the body in the truck of his car !

Eew!

Different states must have different rules about road-kill deer. It's legal some places to take it home, I'm sure.

My dad used to hunt deer back in the early to mid-'50's. We generally had venison stew a few times, and some deer steaks, and dear roasts, over the winter. (From his hunting, never from road-kill.)

I never really cared for it much, but my mom was, speaking charitably, not exactly the world's best cook either, so maybe there might have been issues with how she cooked it.

If you hit a deer around here, you can be cited for not calling police and letting the animal control people remove it. Taking it home is a no no.

Besides, I have always heard that eating an animal that has suffered a slower death through trauma like that produces hormones in the process of dying that make the meat unpalatable.

If you hit a deer around here, you can be cited for not calling police and letting the animal control people remove it. Taking it home is a no no.

Besides, I have always heard that eating an animal that has suffered a slower death through trauma like that produces hormones in the process of dying that make the meat unpalatable.
I think some states allow you to take the deer meat, provided you have a deer hunting license. I have also heard that deer meat will not taste the same if it is killed by car accident, as opposed to gunshot or arrow. I imagine the same holds true for cattle, chickens, etc.

Growing up, we, as far as meat goes....ate whatever we could killl. We did eat a lot of squirrel meat and I remmy some armadillo also (but haven't touch that since I finally got out of those "back woods"! :giggle:..We ate deer meat also, but I never really liked it.

Growing up, we, as far as meat goes....ate whatever we could killl. We did eat a lot of squirrel meat and I remmy some armadillo also (but haven't touch that since I finally got out of those "back woods"! :giggle:..We ate deer meat also, but I never really liked it.
Deer meat (venison) is very lean, giving it a bland flavor. I don't care for it much either.

I think that's an old wives' tale about the hormones. The real problem would be if the deer suffered internal injuries which broke the rumen, but it still lived long enough for the bacteria to circulate through the blood stream. For sure you do NOT want to eat that deer!

But a deer that has been killed by breaking its neck against a car is fine (absent diseases like brucellosis, of course), as long as it is butchered and bled out quickly so the meat cools.

Interesting how the states have different rules. In Illinois it's legal to take the deer home; Alaska has a waiting list of people who volunteer to come butcher and take road-kill like moose and elk, W. Virginia allows the driver of the car to take the road-kill. Most states require some sort of tag from the DNR, to prevent poaching and road-luring, no doubt. The police can give such a tag in many states; in others the DNR has to be called in addition to the police.

I think that's an old wives' tale about the hormones. The real problem would be if the deer suffered internal injuries which broke the rumen, but it still lived long enough for the bacteria to circulate through the blood stream. For sure you do NOT want to eat that deer!

But a deer that has been killed by breaking its neck against a car is fine (absent diseases like brucellosis, of course), as long as it is butchered and bled out quickly so the meat cools.

Interesting how the states have different rules. In Illinois it's legal to take the deer home; Alaska has a waiting list of people who volunteer to come butcher and take road-kill like moose and elk, W. Virginia allows the driver of the car to take the road-kill. Most states require some sort of tag from the DNR, to prevent poaching and road-luring, no doubt. The police can give such a tag in many states; in others the DNR has to be called in addition to the police.

:ty: I really did not know if it was accurate or not, but that biologically, it makes sense. Growing up, the only wild meat we ate was rabbits, and Dad and my bro always field dressed them.

We had the venison, which I was never fond of, but I ate it. Plus I had the Bambi thing going: "Daddy, you killed Bambi!! Waaahhhh!!" But my dad also knew how to dress the hide, and he made me a little outfit out of deer hide one year, a little vest and skirt. I was about 5, I guess. (He died when I was 7, so my age 5 or 6 would have been the last possible season.) I was quite proud of my little outfit and for some reason forgot all about Bambi when I was wearing it. :lol:

Back