Exotic Wild Animal Escaped from Ohio Farm

I don't understand why they had to kill the animals. There are so many animals that are extinct because of man killing them off! They could have tranquilized them and put them at a zoo or something. No need to murder them.

tranq does not work well in this case. it has to be right dosage for certain species and everybody does not have tranq guns. and 50 different animals are on the loose. they are completely unprepared for "non-lethal" jungle hunting.

Wow...that's a shame about those animals but the protection of the residents come first.

As they say - you can take an animal out of the wild, but you can never take the wild out of the animal.

The guy even had baboons. Sadly, 18 bengal tigers had to be killed. They are an endangered species - only 24,000 exist in the world - er did up until now. :(

If there is one law I want Obama to sign while he's still in office it would be a federal ban on all exotic pets and all exotic pets must either be desexed and relinquished to certified sanctuaries and zoos or they must be humanely euthanized. At least animal sanctuaries and zoos must follow strict guidelines to keep their animals.

federal law already existed that makes it illegal to own endangered species. How he owns one? I dunno but probably from black market.

I don't understand why they had to kill the animals. There are so many animals that are extinct because of man killing them off! They could have tranquilized them and put them at a zoo or something. No need to murder them.

I heard on TV a cop saying that is take about 15 minutes for the animals to be knock out after being tranquilized and they would wandering around in traffic etc. The whole thing so heartbreaking , and you can go on line and buy an exotic animal! I wish people realize how animals dies being smuggle here! And you have to kill the mothers to be able to get their babies.

federal law already existed that makes it illegal to own endangered species. How he owns one? I dunno but probably from black market.

I didnt go back to reread it but recalling from the first time I read the article, I believed that he had permits to own some of these animals.

I agree; private individuals should not own exotic animals, especially not larger ones like tigers, lions, bears, wolves and so on.

This guy had been in trouble with the law off and on for years. Can you imagine living near someone keeping all these animals? You would never dare let your own animals or small children be outside unsupervised. Horrible situation all around.

I believe people should have rights to own exotic animals, provided that it's well cared for. It's better than zoo or circus. I do believe that it should be inspected regularly and anybody convicted of animal cruelty or similar cannot own exotic animals.

I didnt go back to reread it but recalling from the first time I read the article, I believed that he had permits to own some of these animals.

but not endangered species. federal law prohibits it. I guess we'll know more as the stories develop.

from what I just read - Ohio's emergency law expired which prohibits anybody convicted of animal cruelty from owning exotic animals :(

Monkey is the last exotic animal still at large in Ohio - CNN.com
A previous emergency order issued by then-Gov. Ted Strickland that prohibited people convicted of animal cruelty from owning exotic animals expired in April.

The Humane Society said Thompson "would almost certainly have had his animals removed by May 1, 2011, if the emergency order had not expired."

"Every month brings a new, bizarre, almost surreal incident involving privately held, dangerous wild animals," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society. "In recent years, Ohioans have died and suffered injuries because the state hasn't stopped private citizens from keeping dangerous wild animals as pets or as roadside attractions. Owners of large, exotic animals are a menace to society, and it's time for the delaying on the rule-making to end."

Fritz Douthitt, a volunteer at the Zanesville Animal Shelter Society, recalled Thompson's 2005 trial for cruelty and torture of cattle and bison. She said he had not been able to get up the hill to feed his livestock, and they died.

why are people so cruel? :(

I believe people should have rights to own exotic animals, provided that it's well cared for. It's better than zoo or circus. I do believe that it should be inspected regularly and anybody convicted of animal cruelty or similar cannot own exotic animals.

I disagree with this. Private individuals almost never have the training, the resources in adequate space or money, or the medical expertise to deal with exotic animals. Zoos and circuses have vets on staff, they have appropriately-designed space with adequate buffers between the animals and the visitors, and they have regular state inspections. Even then, with all those resources, tragedies happen sometimes.

If an individual wants to set up a private zoo, then it should come under exactly the same zoning, space, security and other regulations that any civic zoo has to have in place.

Do you exotic animals dies because people do not know how to care for them and they do not belong in a cage! Why would you want to support the black market , they're run by drug lords and who know terrorists could be involved
in this to made money. My niece work for San Diego zoo and she take care of
desert tortoises She said people will a desert tortoise on side or the road and think it 'lost' and bring the poor thing home! They have no idea how to care for it and the desert tortoise end up getting really sick and being brought to my niece to nurse back to health! She said they get hundreds of sick desert tortoises a years because people try to made then into a pet! Wild animals do not people in people homes!! It is selfish and cruel to the animals!

Exotic Pets May Pose Health Risk in the United States

Do you know there is a huge black market for exotic animals and drug lords
are into anything illegal ! Why would you want to support such a horrible
organization! Most people do not know know how to care for exotic animals.
People get baby alligator or snakes because they're 'cute' looking ! But people forget how big they get and end putting them into a body of water they do not belong in. Wild animals do not belong in people homes!

Many people who own exotic pets, especially those who have limited resources and expertise, have no need to have a bengal tiger or an african lion or a grizzly bear in their back yard.

The animals are cute when they are cubs, but those cubs eventually grow up to be 300+ pound eating machines that require a very expensive high protein diet, vet care, and not to mention expensive enclosures that need constant maintenance and upkeep.

To date there is no federal law barring private citizens from owning exotic animals. It is left to each individual state to decide if it is ok for private citizens to own them, and if so, if they are required to carry an up-to-date permit with regular inspections. Sadly, in many states, a permit is all that is needed and there are no regular inspections. The best way to solve the issue to say "no" all the way across the board. A sanctuary or zoo has the adequate funding, resources, and expertise by vets trained specifically in exotic animals such as Jack Hannah, should be allowed to house these animals with current permits and regular inspections (I suggest an inspection every 6 months with annual renewal of the permit and x-amt of Con-Ed hours for ALL staff members appropriate for their position and level of education with an emphasis on safety of themselves as well as the public). Breeding programs should be few and far between with special endorsements and restrictions on zoos that house and breed exotic animals. From what I understand, many zoo breeding programs are often ran by a public or private university with an extensive veterinary program that offers specialized curriculum in exotic animals. These zoos are often funded by taxpayer dollars, private donations, as well as general admissions/merchandise/concessions paid by zoo patrons. Some zoos are able to receive grants for excellent ratings in their programs which helps with funding. They also have the appropriate enclosures to ensure the likelihood of the animals leaving their enclosures is little to none. Should an animal leave it's enclosure, there are preparedness programs that the zoo has in place to quickly deal with the situation.

If an exotic animal must remain in captivity, then a sanctuary or zoo is the best place for it to be. Not in someone's barn in a cage, not in a roadside attraction or circus.

A sanctuary generally specializes in one type of exotic animal. Their downfall is that they are not funded by taxpayer dollars and they rely mainly on private donations. If a sanctuary is not able to maintain the funds it needs to operate - they first seek to find new homes for the animals they do have. They don't just abandon them or turn them loose to pose a risk to the public. If they are unable to find suitable homes for their animals they humanely euthanize them. The animals are never resold to a private buyer. It is always a zoo or another certified sanctuary in good standing.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea of owning a tiger like it is a Labrador Retriever, but it is a really really bad idea.

I say ban all private ownership of exotic animals.

This was years ago, but we had an ENT (he was mine and my father's at the time) who had a license to keep and did keep a tiger. Do not know what kind. This tiger for the most part had been tamed. At church, when we did the Blessing of the Animals in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, he would bring in the tiger with a muzzle. Well, some time later, at his home on Palm Beach, his family was out in the back and his little daughter was playing his her ball. She was good distance away from the tiger who was in a cage. Somehow, the tiger escaped and mauled this doctor's 3 y/o. Tiger was put down by Animal Control. Now, the town of Palm Beach (the island) no longer allows any exotic animals at all. Anyone who had one after that had to give them up and the zoo in WPB (Dreher Park Zoo) took them in.

exclusives news updates

Exotic Animals on the Loose in Ohio Being Contained
Zanesville Ohio News: Dangerous Animals on the Loose : People.com

Bears, tigers, lions and wolves escape from Ohio zoo
BBC News - Bears, tigers, lions and wolves escape from Ohio zoo

'A monkey was eaten by a lion... then a tiger was chasing a horse': Bizarre hunt for zoo animals running wild in Ohio after reserve owner set them free before shooting himself
Lions and bears loose in Ohio: Armed police wrap up hunt for 51 animals | Mail Online

I disagree with this. Private individuals almost never have the training, the resources in adequate space or money, or the medical expertise to deal with exotic animals. Zoos and circuses have vets on staff, they have appropriately-designed space with adequate buffers between the animals and the visitors, and they have regular state inspections. Even then, with all those resources, tragedies happen sometimes.

If an individual wants to set up a private zoo, then it should come under exactly the same zoning, space, security and other regulations that any civic zoo has to have in place.

then by your logic.... every private gun owners should follow same zoning, space, security, and other regulations that any gun store has to have in place. and same for car collectors, rocket hobbyist, dog breeders, etc.

I love it when people demand for unrealistic "you must have this and that" laws whenever we see this kind of horror.

It's very simple. When an inspector makes a regular visit to private owner's premise and finds enough evidence that constitutes animal cruelty... exotic animals will be removed and the owner will face criminal charges.

Why must we create more unenforceable, knee-jerk laws for every incident that rarely happened? We should IMPROVE our existing laws, not create more laws that eat away more and more of our freedom and common sense.

When I say improve our existing laws... that means harsher criminal penalties, more requirements for exotic animal permit, etc. for starter, and most importantly - hiring more inspectors.

Do you exotic animals dies because people do not know how to care for them and they do not belong in a cage! Why would you want to support the black market , they're run by drug lords and who know terrorists could be involved
in this to made money. My niece work for San Diego zoo and she take care of
desert tortoises She said people will a desert tortoise on side or the road and think it 'lost' and bring the poor thing home! They have no idea how to care for it and the desert tortoise end up getting really sick and being brought to my niece to nurse back to health! She said they get hundreds of sick desert tortoises a years because people try to made then into a pet! Wild animals do not people in people homes!! It is selfish and cruel to the animals!
Exotic Pets May Pose Health Risk in the United States

Do you know there is a huge black market for exotic animals and drug lords
are into anything illegal ! Why would you want to support such a horrible
organization! Most people do not know know how to care for exotic animals.
People get baby alligator or snakes because they're 'cute' looking ! But people forget how big they get and end putting them into a body of water they do not belong in. Wild animals do not belong in people homes!

LOL what? I love it when you misunderstand everything. So funny that there's no need for me to explain or clarify any further because you'll just keep misunderstanding me.

Many people who own exotic pets, especially those who have limited resources and expertise, have no need to have a bengal tiger or an african lion or a grizzly bear in their back yard.
simple - a regular inspection will decide whether or not if owner lacks resource and expertise to care for it.

The animals are cute when they are cubs, but those cubs eventually grow up to be 300+ pound eating machines that require a very expensive high protein diet, vet care, and not to mention expensive enclosures that need constant maintenance and upkeep.
simple - that's what sanctuary is for. one phone call and it's done.

To date there is no federal law barring private citizens from owning exotic animals. It is left to each individual state to decide if it is ok for private citizens to own them, and if so, if they are required to carry an up-to-date permit with regular inspections. Sadly, in many states, a permit is all that is needed and there are no regular inspections. The best way to solve the issue to say "no" all the way across the board. A sanctuary or zoo has the adequate funding, resources, and expertise by vets trained specifically in exotic animals such as Jack Hannah, should be allowed to house these animals with current permits and regular inspections (I suggest an inspection every 6 months with annual renewal of the permit and x-amt of Con-Ed hours for ALL staff members appropriate for their position and level of education with an emphasis on safety of themselves as well as the public). Breeding programs should be few and far between with special endorsements and restrictions on zoos that house and breed exotic animals. From what I understand, many zoo breeding programs are often ran by a public or private university with an extensive veterinary program that offers specialized curriculum in exotic animals. These zoos are often funded by taxpayer dollars, private donations, as well as general admissions/merchandise/concessions paid by zoo patrons. Some zoos are able to receive grants for excellent ratings in their programs which helps with funding. They also have the appropriate enclosures to ensure the likelihood of the animals leaving their enclosures is little to none. Should an animal leave it's enclosure, there are preparedness programs that the zoo has in place to quickly deal with the situation.

If an exotic animal must remain in captivity, then a sanctuary or zoo is the best place for it to be. Not in someone's barn in a cage, not in a roadside attraction or circus.

A sanctuary generally specializes in one type of exotic animal. Their downfall is that they are not funded by taxpayer dollars and they rely mainly on private donations. If a sanctuary is not able to maintain the funds it needs to operate - they first seek to find new homes for the animals they do have. They don't just abandon them or turn them loose to pose a risk to the public. If they are unable to find suitable homes for their animals they humanely euthanize them. The animals are never resold to a private buyer. It is always a zoo or another certified sanctuary in good standing.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea of owning a tiger like it is a Labrador Retriever, but it is a really really bad idea.

I say ban all private ownership of exotic animals.
this is where we have to improve our existing laws to protect exotic animals.

I strongly do not believe that "government" is the answer to everything. It's comical to me. Look at our problems from A-Z. How's it going with government? comical.

I agree with the freedom of our current system, and some of what Jiro explained too.

It shouldn't be completely illegal to own special animals that aren't native to the area. I wouldn't want anyone to be able to get anything, but I do think there should be some checks and balances in order to own one.

Reason for this is because of a few:

- Less regulation and governmental control, but I'd like for there to be a limit or hurdle people have to pass in order to own exotic species. I don't like the idea of an average Joe the weed guy getting a pet crocodile and a Tiger, so I'd think it would be sensible to impose a limit as to who can actually own these pets.

- People with good understanding of animals, universities and research could and continue to also benefit.

- Keeps them out of the zoos. While zoos are not a bad thing, the animal has less freedom than it would under private ownership.

- More human knowledge of these animals you wouldn't get. I've read anecdotes online from people who owned dolphins, monkeys, and they've written and shared their behaviors on forums, blogs and such. It was nice information to know, and I don't think I would have learned such a thing from watching it in the wild (would have taken forever), at the zoo, or reading a book.. they aren't able to tell you everything..

Back