Dumb access denial excuses for your service dog

Ummm, I can think of many reasons a hearing dog would be useful in public places. If your phone rings, the dog can alert you. If someone calls your name, if someone is walking behind you in a dark parking lot/street. If someone is trying to get your attention without calling your name. Make sense?

Yes, this does make sense! My dog let me know when my name is called at a doctor office! And he let me know when a car is behind me or if someone opened or close a door , this way I know what is going on around me ! It help me feel safer knowing someone is near me incase they're up to no good!
I was once jumped by 2 men as I did not hear them walking behind me! When I lived in Boston , Mass a person told that some guy been following me and I never heard the guy! I wish I had a hearing dog then!

As a 'puppy raiser for SouthEastern Guide Dog" I disagree...

A 'bad guy/gal' is NOT going to attack my blind friend and her German Shepard Guide Dog... but might attack her if she is using a cane.

Get it?

It happens, alot to people that are 'obviously' disabled- my mom got attacked once too- (she won the fight).

Yeah you could say, "Well what if he/she has a gun?" Well that would take two bullets instead of one and service animals when working count as humans.

Did you really say "get it?" to me?

I am deaf and blind in one eye. So yes I get it. If you want protection, pepper spray is a lot more use than a hearing dog.

As a 'puppy raiser for SouthEastern Guide Dog" I disagree...

A 'bad guy/gal' is NOT going to attack my blind friend and her German Shepard Guide Dog... but might attack her if she is using a cane.

Get it?

It happens, alot to people that are 'obviously' disabled- my mom got attacked once too- (she won the fight).

Yeah you could say, "Well what if he/she has a gun?" Well that would take two bullets instead of one and service animals when working count as humans.

And while we are on the subject of guide dogs, a blind friend of mine had thugs run his dog over while he was on the way to the bus stop.

He realized something had happened when she wasn't moving forward, so bent down and found her struggling to rise and work. She died.

People with a dog are still very vulnerable.

Jeesh, "Normal" people can be so stupid. I can think of five different types of service dogs right off that bat, not just for the blind or the deaf, but for those with epilepsy, anxiety, physical disabilities too. If the dog is "on duty" and wearing the appropriate "service animal" garb, no one has the right to dispute the animal being there. Each dog is doing what it is trained to do. Heck, I have even seen a case where this guy had a seeing eye pony...one of those miniature ones, and those with physical disabilities use monkeys. You do what you need to do to live life to the fullest!

I have heard about service dogs for people with alzheimer.
The dog is trained to help a person get back home if they get lost while taking a walk! The person just have to say "Home" and the dog bring them back home! Now dogs are being trained for wounded vets coming home from the war. NEADS is training dogs for the vets. I ran into a woman and she was telling me that she saw a miniature seeing eye horse on an airplane!
That had to been a trip!

Did you really say "get it?" to me?

I am deaf and blind in one eye. So yes I get it. If you want protection, pepper spray is a lot more use than a hearing dog.

Wow- tone doesn't translate in type, didn't mean to offend you-

------------

Based on what statistics?- most schools only train medium to large dogs for service (Guidedogs, Seeing-eye, South Eastern Guide, Fidelco ... most of these programs have programs that train dogs for other services, like mobility, balance, medication, hearing, and other jobs entirely like arson, drug, bomb, cadaver, serch and rescue.)

I understand why some people prefer a dog.

You have said over and over you do not understand.

Pepper spray will not warn you if someone is behind you... ever.

some people do not have the mobility or possibly the vision to pay attention to everything that happens around them, an extra set of senses are useful to this.

All kinds of accidents/bad things happen. The point is that sometimes the dogs are trained to signal for help, help a person walk, see a soundless or nearly soundless car (electric), hear a siren or approaching person, or warn then that they should take their seizure suppress meds because they are about to have a seizure.

Wow- tone doesn't translate in type, didn't mean to offend you-

------------

Based on what statistics?- most schools only train medium to large dogs for service (Guidedogs, Seeing-eye, South Eastern Guide, Fidelco ... most of these programs have programs that train dogs for other services, like mobility, balance, medication, hearing, and other jobs entirely like arson, drug, bomb, cadaver, serch and rescue.)

I understand why some people prefer a dog.

You have said over and over you do not understand.

Pepper spray will not warn you if someone is behind you... ever.

some people do not have the mobility or possibly the vision to pay attention to everything that happens around them, an extra set of senses are useful to this.

All kinds of accidents/bad things happen. The point is that sometimes the dogs are trained to signal for help, help a person walk, see a soundless or nearly soundless car (electric), hear a siren or approaching person, or warn then that they should take their seizure suppress meds because they are about to have a seizure.

On the bolded, WHAT???? And this thread is about hearing dogs, so I think it is getting derailed.

"Pepper spray will not warn you if someone is behind you... ever. "

But it is a damn site more likely to disable my assailant than a service dog, which is not an attack or defense dog.

When allowing any service dog into that, fidelco allows 'failed' police dogs into the program - most of these fail true for lack of aggression but several have defended their handlers because the bond is so close.
Going back through the 6 pages or so it seems that I misinterpreted the time that you said 'it didn't make sense' (#137) as a standard for your opinion- I guess I misremembered or something.
so have both (dog/pepper) if you want or neither.
BTW why does it matter what 'type' deaf (birth/early/late in life/ HoH) person has a hearing dog?

---
Anyhow its very early in the morning now- I'll go off to bed soon before I do any more damage.

This isn't about service dogs per se, but is an anecdote from my dad.

He wear prescription sunglasses, and was out shopping one day, with the family dog. He went into a shoe shop, as he saw no sign on the door saying dogs were forbidden. He looked around at the shoes, and the dog lay down on the floor. There is a young shop assistant adjusting the shoes on the shelves. She sees the dog and says 'I'm sorry, dogs aren't allowed in here.' then looks up at my dad and sees him wearing his dark sunglasses then stutters 'Oh but err except for guide dogs of course.'

My dad had to restrain from laughing, mostly because our dog is a Springer Spaniel, wears no jacket or coat of any sort, and was asleep on the floor!

I thought it showed how little awareness people do have of service dogs- I know that they're usually, but not always, labradors, and have yellow reflective jackets. They also tend to be alert and awake!

melissa, your story reminds me of one....

one day hubby and I were driving past the dealership where we purchased one of the vehicles. We had been discussing previously going in there with some questions and since we were driving by, we thought, why not stop now? We happened to be driving back from vet with one of the dogs - our Black Lab. We went and asked about bringing dog in and explained we were customers, driving by, etc . They asked - what kind dog? <I knew they would and that if we had had a Rottie - due to people's misperceptions, the odds are that SHE would not have been allowed in the shop :( > So we tell them and they're like, okay bring him <to waiting area> So I go with our boy and sit quietly with him, after getting him situated in Down on floor. We have car-riding harnesses <canine seatbelts> for all the dogs because the crates only fit in one of the vehicles and driving around w/loose dog in car is not safe for people or dog>. The car-riding harness and the working harnesses used for service dogs can look similar enough to people who are not familiar - they just see "harness" and think "guide dog" I'm looking at magazines and he's laying quietly as people are walking around him and stepping over him to get at magazines, coffee, etc. This was when I was hearing more, and I heard someone say to "watch the blind lady". And if I moved around, like to use bathroom or re-position him or when we left, people are stepping out of the way...

it was kinda interesting....but I did tell them he's not a service dog, that's just his harness for in the car-

I see more and more people having those chihuahuas in their bags strolling in the store and people wouldn't notice and its really amusing to me how more lax some places are becoming when it comes to those little guys due in the name of fashion.

Too bad we can't wear our big dogs.

on a serious note- isn't it even against the law to ask why you have a service dog in the first place?

on a serious note- isn't it even against the law to ask why you have a service dog in the first place?

Yes and no. The business may ask what TASKS the dog has been trained to do to mitigate your disability. Note that comfort and companionship are not tasks. The business may not ask for a demonstration, nor they can require proof of the training, ask what your disability is or ask for proof of that disability.

Disabled get boost in quest for cabs
By Schuyler Kropf
The Post and Courier
Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dolly and Glenn Davis, a blind married couple who rely on their seeing-eye dogs, got fed up with getting stood up by North Charleston taxicabs.

More than once, the Davises and their service dogs found themselves stranded or ignored by taxi drivers who didn't want to let the couple's dogs, Bailey and Morgan, inside their cabs, even on cold or rainy days.

"People were trying to take our eyes away from us," Glenn Davis said. "And we aren't going to stand for it."

Neither is the city, and now North Charleston cabbies are taking notice.

In response to complaints raised by the Davises and others, city officials last week ran an undercover sting looking for taxi drivers who overcharged or ignored passengers with disabilities.

In the biggest infraction, a driver was cited for charging extra to allow North Charleston's undercover service dog in his vehicle. He could face a total of $1,000 in fines.

The sting was so successful that officials said they will run it again, which is especially good news for the dog used by North Charleston as a decoy service animal.

Until last week, Cecelia, a 2-year-old German shepherd, faced being euthanized for a bad case of heart worms. But since Cecelia showed the temperament and skills needed to be a pretend guide dog, she's since been given a medical reprieve by the Charleston Animal Society.

"The dog showed some real valor," said Jim Bush, the society's executive director.

For the sting, police and taxi enforcement officials used various disguises allowing them to pose as members of the handicapped community. Along with Cecelia, who was fitted with a leather harness, officers acted as people confined to a wheelchair or needing a cane to navigate the streets.

"We ran several operations simultaneously," said Ed Ott, North Charleston's taxi inspector.

North Charleston already has taken steps to enforce cleaner cabs and safer drivers in the city, including by denying permits to cabbies with serious criminal records.

In most cases Friday, the cabs that stopped did pick up the undercover agents and charged the correct amount, Ott said. The driver who was cited allegedly charged $10 for the guide dog to ride along, when the fare should have been no more than $6. The driver also was ticketed for not displaying an accurate fare.

Various state and federal laws protect the rights of the handicapped to bring service dogs almost anywhere. Under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, privately owned businesses that serve the public, including restaurants, hotels and taxicabs, are prohibited from discriminating against any individual with a disability.

That means they can bring service animals into any area where customers generally are permitted.

Glenn Davis said he appreciates the goals behind the sting and wants to see the operation continue, particularly to make new cab drivers aware of the requirements and to keep drivers who already are on the road honest.

"Hopefully, it enforces that these cabs don't have a right to deny us access," he said. "If there's one doing it, you know there's others."
The Post and Courier - Disabled get boost in quest for cabs - Charleston SC - postandcourier.com

I have had some real winners.

1. I have been told that I do not need my dog to hear in a store.
2. Asked if my dog was a blind dog.
3. Told no pets allowed.
4. Door greeters watching me park my car in the handicapped spot and
then ask me upon entering the store if I was blind.
5. See me reading labels and ask me if I was blind, if not I needed to leave.

6. A doctor throwing me out of his office because he was afraid of
dogs.
7. A restuarant threaten to close completely in order to avoid access.

Sounds like these people don't realize service dogs can be for more than just blindness. Sounds like they were thinking you were faking having a guide dog for the blind and they were using your reading labels/driving as "evidence". (Even though I hate to go into the fact that some blind people can read fine print and some legally blind people can even drive with certain restrictions in some states.)

#7 is just stupid. Risk losing all that business over a service animal? :roll:

Good! I can't believe some of the things people get away with here in Toronto. Has nothing to do with service dogs, but 'wheelchair cabs' are allowed to charge rediculous rates! A ride that costs $10 in a regular cab costs my friend at least $30 because it is a 'wheelchair cab'. If she knows where she is going 2 weeks in advance she can book WheelTrans which may send a bus or send a cab (both for the same $3 price). I think it's rediculous and I hope the petitions go through soon. I don't get charged extra if i request a van, and an able-bodied person getting into a cab that happens to be a 'wheelchair cab' doesn't get charged extra, so why should my friend be!?!?!

Anyway, glad to have that rant out of my system!

*EQL*

Last week our local paper had an article about a man who wasn't allowed to bring his service dog into a motel unless he paid a $100 deposit.

The title of the article was "No room at the inn for pooch". Here is part of the article:

"Timothy Smith takes his dog, Alex, with him everywhere. Anywhere Smith goes, the huge, black lab-Great Dane is always by his side.
Alex's affection for Smith isn't just a dog's simple loyalty, it's his job. Alex is a medical service dog.
While Alex wears a harness and pack that identitfy him as a medical service dog, he's not always welcome in certain places.
Smith went to The Hamilton Motel in Summerville on Dec. 27 to rent a room for a New Year's party with a group of friends. He was denied a room because of the motel's no pet policy.
'I told my employee that they cannot take any pets,' said motel manager and owner Peter Patel.
Patel added that Smith could have kept his dog in the room with him if he had paid a $100 refundable deposit.
'I tried to tell them he's not a pet,' Smith said.
...Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, privately owned businesses that serve the public are required to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed. The ADA also prohibits business owners from charging a fee or deposit for admitting a service dog. A fee can only be imposed if the dog causes damage to the property."
This motel/hotel hasn't learned it's lesson (same family managing it).

Amputees protest at Hamilton Hotel | Journal Scene

This motel/hotel hasn't learned it's lesson (same family managing it).

Amputees protest at Hamilton Hotel | Journal Scene

There was story on the news recently about a child not bring allowed to bring his service dog to school. I would be a hard case to handle , some kids could be allergic to dogs or be very afraid of dogs. I am not sure where the ADA ACT stand on this issues.

Back