Dumb access denial excuses for your service dog

I live in California

There should few places to get a hearing in hearing dog California!
what part of California do you live in? I lived in California for nine years and loved it!

Dixie,

I bathe Snickers about once per month, maybe every six weeks. She is an extremely clean dog and no smell. Second, she sees her vet regularly and whenever she is having a problem. She didn't see the vet this past week because she had runny poop and did it in the classroom, but I have restricted all treats and treated her illness myself. Saves money. If it got worse, I would have her in. I also contacted a vet clinic that offers discounts, but haven't heard back yet. Third, you are giving a "certifying agency" way too much credit, as the ADA does NOT require a service animal to be "certified." Fourth and last, no one and I do mean NO ONE steps between my hearing dog and me. I trained her. No one has the right to judge her training by me, as I won't allow it. Rest assured, Snickers is my hearing dog and that's what I trained her to be, but to have someone come in and make a stupid request of a demonstration, ah, sorry but we are not a circus act and I don't do demonstrations. No hard feelings, Dixie, but this had to be told and misinformation needed to stand corrected.

My dog is almost 10 years old and he look like is five years old! His hair cuts cut more than mine do! He eat real good dog food and get no junk dog food , the food that has dye in it! My dog is very clean too , I bring the lab for blood work and the women are all over him! He is a real play boy! He love the attention! I feel bad for that poor dog in the sad story!

Why would anyone want a hearing dog?

I wish I had a hearing dog when I had my baby! My baby slept right next to my bed. She started crying one night , I did not hear my baby and she was right next to me! My baby woke up my friend with her crying and my friend fed her for me! If I had a hearing dog the dog could had woken me up!
My friend did not wake me as she thought I needed the sleep! If my friend was not living in the same house with me my poor baby would had gone with eating all night! I wish some one told about hearing dogs ! I was living
CA. at the time and there were a few places that trains dogs for the deaf and HOH! I feel a lot safer at night too as my dog bark at one one that in the hallway or building! My dog has told when people are at the door and when the smoke alarm went off . I could have had a fire in my condo other wise!

I think it is not up to me to judge whether another person requires a alert/service dog or not. I have no problem with legitimate service dogs in places of business.
I did some volunteer work for a while working w/assistance dogs in training, taking them to public places.

I notice a lot of people talk about allergies here, and I notice there's a few indirect references to their dogs being hypo-allergenic:

I do have to bring this up, different people have different allergies. Some are allergic to fur and dander. Others are allergic to saliva, animal wastes and so on.

I have a Shiba Inu, who I left with my parents, most people who are allergic to fur and dander are fine around him. However the people who are allergic to dog saliva get a reaction, while they are fine around most dogs, because Shiba Inu are self-cleaning dogs and often lick themselves.

I, myself? I am allergic to animal wastes. I can't be around cats that play in their litterboxes, dogs that roll in their own wastes and so on which seems to be a large majority of people's pets out there. So, yeah, a poodle may be hypo-allergenic, but I still can't be around them if they are NOT the type that are spot-trained and are cleaned up immediately after they defecate.

There are many other dog- and cat-specific allergies out there that you may not know about, which require some "thinking-out-of-the-box" here.

This is coming from a guy who love playing with dogs, and bend down to pet stray cats.

I wish I had a hearing dog when I had my baby! My baby slept right next to my bed. She started crying one night , I did not hear my baby and she was right next to me! My baby woke up my friend with her crying and my friend fed her for me! If I had a hearing dog the dog could had woken me up!
My friend did not wake me as she thought I needed the sleep! If my friend was not living in the same house with me my poor baby would had gone with eating all night! I wish some one told about hearing dogs ! I was living
CA. at the time and there were a few places that trains dogs for the deaf and HOH! I feel a lot safer at night too as my dog bark at one one that in the hallway or building! My dog has told when people are at the door and when the smoke alarm went off . I could have had a fire in my condo other wise!
They do have baby monitors and strobe lights for when babies cry. My sister has a pad that alerts her if the baby's heart stops beating (or isn't in bed).

They do have baby monitors and strobe lights for when babies cry. My sister has a pad that alerts her if the baby's heart stops beating (or isn't in bed).

Agreed...but maybe the person had her baby when there were no strobe lights?

My opinion? They don't need service dogs.

I think the hearing service dog thing is getting abused too much and out of hand to a point where it makes us deaf people look bad walking around like snobs and saying, "I'm deaf. I have a right!" *sticks nose in air* :roll:

I do not feel like a snob with my hearing dog! People thought I was Snob when I did not move so they could pass me in the grocery store! They would get mad at me and hit me with their wagon! People no longer think I am a snob , they wait till I am done getting the item off the shelf and some people think I am blind and ask if need help finding somrthing! It feel great to go shopping and not have people run their wagons into you! I no longer have to get piss off at people!

Talking about being snob...every time we go to Wally World or our local grocery store..when my wife is in front of cashier (shes deaf) and I am emptying out the cart with whatever onto conveyor belt..I watch what cashier say to my wife like "hello..how you" etc etc MY wife doesnt pay attention some times and since the cashier doesnt get a response..they give an ugly face while wife is looking away.

I then go up to cashier and tell him/her "shes fully deaf..she couldnt hear you telling her (whatever she said)" then I immediately tell my wife what she said.

You should see the embarrassement on the cashiers face. Gets them every time.

Same is true for when my wife is in food aisle and some one tries to pass or get something besids my wife or in front of my wife. I then tell em she cant hear you. Every time they apologize to either me or the wife.

A baby monitors and strobe lights may not had woke we up when my baby cried ! And no one told about baby monitors 35 years ago! And I don't think there were strobe lights for baby 35 years! It is great we have all these thing to help us . but some people do like dogs and I see no harm in having a hearing dog! I

Talking about being snob...every time we go to Wally World or our local grocery store..when my wife is in front of cashier (shes deaf) and I am emptying out the cart with whatever onto conveyor belt..I watch what cashier say to my wife like "hello..how you" etc etc MY wife doesnt pay attention some times and since the cashier doesnt get a response..they give an ugly face while wife is looking away.

I then go up to cashier and tell him/her "shes fully deaf..she couldnt hear you telling her (whatever she said)" then I immediately tell my wife what she said.

You should see the embarrassement on the cashiers face. Gets them every time.

Same is true for when my wife is in food aisle and some one tries to pass or get something besids my wife or in front of my wife. I then tell em she cant hear you. Every time they apologize to either me or the wife.

I was in traffic once and a cop was saying something to me and I could not hear him! The cop came up to my car and yell "are you deaf'"! I told I was HOH and he got really embarrassed and walked away!
I was in a shoes store with my friend and sale lady was talking to me but I could not hear her! She kept on talking and and I never answer her .She finally got upset and said 'very loud 'I may as well be talking to myself!"
My friend turned around and told the woman I was HOH and could not hear her! The woman got all puff up after that! Boy my friend was really upset with the woman more than I was!

I notice a lot of people talk about allergies here, and I notice there's a few indirect references to their dogs being hypo-allergenic:

I do have to bring this up, different people have different allergies. Some are allergic to fur and dander. Others are allergic to saliva, animal wastes and so on.

I have a Shiba Inu, who I left with my parents, most people who are allergic to fur and dander are fine around him. However the people who are allergic to dog saliva get a reaction, while they are fine around most dogs, because Shiba Inu are self-cleaning dogs and often lick themselves.

I, myself? I am allergic to animal wastes. I can't be around cats that play in their litterboxes, dogs that roll in their own wastes and so on which seems to be a large majority of people's pets out there. So, yeah, a poodle may be hypo-allergenic, but I still can't be around them if they are NOT the type that are spot-trained and are cleaned up immediately after they defecate.

There are many other dog- and cat-specific allergies out there that you may not know about, which require some "thinking-out-of-the-box" here.

This is coming from a guy who love playing with dogs, and bend down to pet stray cats.

I am really allergic to perfumes! I did not know if until I brought some and put a few drops on my neck! I had trouble breathing ! But I do not tell a to woman to move if she has on perfume, I move away from her! I know when I bring my hearing to Market Basket or Shaw's and an employee want to pat my dog , I tell them it not a good idea as they're handling food!

Oh yes, I use special baby monitors with flash lighting when my both boys were babies.

Yes, many hearing parents use baby monitors to prevent cot death.

Ihave been called a snob or get people angry at me. It used to bother me so much before but now, I dont give a rat's ass to what people think of me anymore. I cant make everyone happy so why get upset over it. I just move on.

I am really allergic to perfumes! I did not know if until I brought some and put a few drops on my neck! I had trouble breathing ! But I do not tell a to woman to move if she has on perfume, I move away from her! I know when I bring my hearing to Market Basket or Shaw's and an employee want to pat my dog , I tell them it not a good idea as they're handling food!

Actually, mine is severe enough that I can't be in the same room. ;)

I don't usually have a problem with service dogs, because the owners usually keep them clean. Although I did remember there was one guide dog that was brought into the classroom, with a blind student, and I kept having nosebleeds and I couldn't figure out why. I thought it was my poor diet, or some chemical since I am "allergic to everything under the sun," so to say.

It didn't really occur to me until two months into the semester that the blind student doesn't clean up, as in pick up, after his dog; bathing the dog was moot point. I have never touched the dog, out of respect for their professionalism, and we were on opposite ends of the room. The matters only cleared up with the student services brought up the importance of cleaning up after his dog during its bathroom breaks, then I stopped having nosebleeds.

However since in Canada, the only service dogs I see in public are ones for the blind, and most of the others, like hearing dogs, are kept in cars or in people's homes; so I never had to address the issue of proper hygiene with other service dogs. Just food for thoughts, a lot of people overlook the non-obvious allergies.

What about the hearing dog - I still don't see why Deaf people have to drag them along everywhere they go.

Ummm, I can think of many reasons a hearing dog would be useful in public places. If your phone rings, the dog can alert you. If someone calls your name, if someone is walking behind you in a dark parking lot/street. If someone is trying to get your attention without calling your name. Make sense?

Ummm, I can think of many reasons a hearing dog would be useful in public places. If your phone rings, the dog can alert you. If someone calls your name, if someone is walking behind you in a dark parking lot/street. If someone is trying to get your attention without calling your name. Make sense?

None makes sense. If you are deaf your phone is in your pocket and vibrates and you text, no hearing needed. If someone walks behind you in a dark parking lot and you are not wary enough to keep an eye out the dog can't save you.

Only time that someone would try to get your attention without calling your name is if they knew you to be deaf and they would know to be in your line of sight. (they could not really get a hearies attention that way either.)

None makes sense. If you are deaf your phone is in your pocket and vibrates and you text, no hearing needed. If someone walks behind you in a dark parking lot and you are not wary enough to keep an eye out the dog can't save you.

Only time that someone would try to get your attention without calling your name is if they knew you to be deaf and they would know to be in your line of sight. (they could not really get a hearies attention that way either.)
Exactly.

Nowadays, people don't even use land lines. They use cell phones. Every single person in my family has a cell phone. All of my friends have cell phones. They also use VP (which usually comes with a flasher). So, why need a dog for that?

As for getting attention, if people know you're deaf... they will get your attention anyways.

I've seen people with hearing service dogs that don't even alert the owner when the owner's name is called. So, do hearing service dogs really alert you when your name is called or is that just an excuse?

As a 'puppy raiser for SouthEastern Guide Dog" I disagree...

A 'bad guy/gal' is NOT going to attack my blind friend and her German Shepard Guide Dog... but might attack her if she is using a cane.

Get it?

It happens, alot to people that are 'obviously' disabled- my mom got attacked once too- (she won the fight).

Yeah you could say, "Well what if he/she has a gun?" Well that would take two bullets instead of one and service animals when working count as humans.

Back