Dumb access denial excuses for your service dog

etalton,

Actually, the ADA says nothing about any sort of cape/vest being required on a service animal. Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business

In addition, "certification" is not required by any law, state or federal. When in doubt, federal law ALWAYS supercedes state law. Only two questions can be asked when stopped: 1. Is that a service animal? 2. What does the animal do? Any other question beyond this, even by a private person, is in violation of, not only your privacy, but your civil rights.

*bumping this thread*

Someone suggested that I started a thread whether deaf people need service dogs or not and I told this person that I remembered a thread similiar to it. I believe that this is the thread but I will ask this question in this thread.

Do deaf people NEED (not entitled) service dogs?

In my opinion, I personally dont think so but I dont feel right imposing it on other people who feel that they need a service dog.

To those who feel that deaf people do need it...can you state why?

My reasons that I feel deaf people don't need one...

Deaf people can learn to spot danger in their environment with their eyes or with whatever hearing they have.

There are signal systems that can be installed in the house.

In a restaurant, I dont see why a deaf person needs a dog because restaurants aren't generally dangerous places unless someone bombs them.

This is not an attempt to put down those who have service dogs or feel the need to have one.

Well, I could really care less about other people's dogs as long they look professional and are treated as professional. However the whole attitude toward service dogs in Canada is different than in the States though.

Due to my vision loss, I am eligible to get a guide dog, however I choose not to have one because I feel like I don't need the additional discrimination that come along with service dogs when it is already hard enough to offset the discrimination against people with hearing and sight loss with a topping an unusual non-Canadian accent. So, I felt like I don't need a fourth reason for people to discriminate against me.

So, while I am starting to speak up for myself, I am having a hard time enforcing my barks with a bite due to my cultural background, so whilst it would be great to have a guide dog, I wouldn't be able to follow through with my complaints. Service dogs, otherwise, are great for people who go out of their way to enforce the laws. That's just my personal stance on it.

Hearing dogs? Rock on, just make sure they are treated professionally, viewed professionally and are dressed professionally. I would also advise getting them licensed just in case if you run into a bump in the road. Otherwise, it is not my business unless I see people not doing the above and even then it only really count as long people make sure there is a bite behind their barks. Believe me, there is a whole new world of misunderstandings and discriminations that come with having a service dog on top of EVERYTHING else.

As for myself? I would like to have a hearing/guide dog for home use only. I used to have a wonderful self-trained Shiba Inu, that I would never dream of calling him a service dog without first getting a license, that would wake me up if there is an intruder near the house, if my family members are having an attack from one of their medical issues or if there is smoke ongoing in the house that the fire alarm fails to notify me due to the fact I am a Deaf-blind. But those are more characteristics of a guard dog, not a service dog.

hey guys, i take my service dog, taco bell, with me when i go walking in or around public areas especially when i know theres gonna be traffic. i take her on the road with me as i travel alot, so i have to take her in with me when im on road into places because i cant leave her in the car. i have people object to me having her with me. i tell them she is my ears, do you leave you ears at home when u go somewhere?..... they usually stop harrasing me about it. for me, i was hit by a car in a hospital zone once because i dint hear car nor see it coming. taco bell walks to my right at all times and if car comes or a person nears me or calls out, taco leans into my leg or will stop and sit to warn me. that way i know to look up or move over. she scratches at my legs or sits up when she notifies me in a motel room or somewhere. i leave her at home when i go to classes or work however. mostly because i use other devises for accomidations so i dont need her with me all the time. as far as cleaning bill... thats b.s. as long as u walk ur dog and carry clean up bags and tissues ect for accidents dont allow any one to use that excuse.
i can see why people take thier dogs w them everywhere, but for me i only take taco bell when i know theres a good chance i will need her assistance. some new environments make her nervous so i try to keep it to a minimume. my dog is a God send to me. dont know what id do w out her.

just my thoughts....

I am looking forward to the time when I can have a dog. At present I go work out in bush Alaska and really cannot care properly for one. I want to be able to read my dog - the perk of the ears the tension and so on to warn me of things I cannot hear. I don't need one for restaurants and the like: it would just be for at home and in the woods.

I have had some real winners.

1. I have been told that I do not need my dog to hear in a store.
2. Asked if my dog was a blind dog.
3. Told no pets allowed.
4. Door greeters watching me park my car in the handicapped spot and
then ask me upon entering the store if I was blind.
5. See me reading labels and ask me if I was blind, if not I needed to leave.
6. A doctor throwing me out of his office because he was afraid of
dogs.
7. A restuarant threaten to close completely in order to avoid access.

I am just curious as to how many access issues everyone else with service dogs have had and what circumstances and how you handled it. Me personally, we now have the police department educated and I simply go outside, call the police on my sidekick via relay, and let them explain the consequences. I no longer allow myself to be upset by others ignorance of the law. I figure I will fight the good fight for myself and those that can't. I don't take no for an answer no matter how much time it takes and how much it might inconvenience me. :dance2:

I like the one were someone ask if you were blind after seeing park your car!
what did you say to the idiot!
I was refuse service whenI was my daughter and hearing dog. I was told only blind people could bring their dog in the store! I sues that place and won! I called the cops when I got home and the cop told me to go sues the place!
I also was out with my daughter,her child and hearing dog and I was watching my grandchild while I daughter check some clothes out. A sale woman came up to me and asked if my dog was working dog, I said " yes, but I can't talk as I am Watching my grandchild !" The sale woman then asked me if I was blind!! I just told the woman I watching a child and she want to know if I am blind!
I wanted a hearing dog as when I would food shopping people would want to pass me and I could not hear them and I did move . They thought I was being "rude" so they would take their wagon and hit my legs with it! One
300 LB woman did this and thought it was funny! I was yelling at her as she really hit me hard! I then said to the woman " you think that is funny , then let me do it to you!" The manager came over to see what was going on!
I got a hearing dog after that happen and people no longer hit me with their wagons! So if some tell that you not need a hearing dog to go shopping tell the person people do not bump into when you had your dog ! My doctor is
afraid of dogs too , but she has getting use to dogs as I bring my dog and and blind woman bring her dog to the office. The nurse also come with the doctor to help her feel safer .

My opinion? They don't need service dogs.

I think the hearing service dog thing is getting abused too much and out of hand to a point where it makes us deaf people look bad walking around like snobs and saying, "I'm deaf. I have a right!" *sticks nose in air* :roll:

Answer Shel90´s question accord her post #102.

No, I do not need a service dog to help me to hear because I have technology to help me to hear...

No, I do not need a service dog to boost my self-esteem because I know how to positive my self-esteem.

No, I do not need a service dog to interpret for me what the people says because I have an interpreter.

No, I do not need a service dog to help me to watch the traffic, etc because I have my own eyes and can see anything myself.

No, I do not need a service dog to tell something because my pets can do.

No, I do not need a service dog to write and phone for me because I can use email, fax, etc.

All what I have in my opinion.

Since developing hearing loss, I have had a difficult time transitioning and compensating for the loss. Yes, I have lots of technology to assist me, but it can be very overwhelming at times. I am not always able to pinpoint what sounds are or which direction they are coming from.

I think that using a service dog is a personal choice that an individual with a life-limiting disability may make. If it helps improve the person's level of independence, then why not? I notice there's a lot of chat about hearing dogs in public. As a former hearie, I can think of tons of things that a dog could alert to other than horns and sirens while out in the community. ie: someone approaching behind you, dropped items that may go unnoticed, someone calling your name or attempting to get your attention, etc.

The dog that is being trained for me will have some hearing alerts, but the dog will primarily be for mobility and other tasks to mitigate other disabilities that I have. I'm not sure I could buy into the argument that anyone with a disability actually NEEDS a service dog. I think that once a person experiences life WITH one, they develop a relationship and dependency on it, however, there are lots of ways to mitigate lots of disabilities. Having a service dog is a personal choice and one the disabled person is free to make.

As far as access challenges go: Educate, Mitigate, Litigate. Local police are often not required nor trained to uphold the ADA, so unless your state has specific laws regarding service dogs and access, contacting the local PD is often a waste of time. Many people are unaware of the laws regarding service dogs and access. Yes, as business owners they should know, but the simple fact is they don't. I have been a witness to several access challenges, and honestly, it has been the handler who has escalated them. The attitude of "it's my right, the dog belongs here" quickly turns off business owners and causes confrontation. Who wants someone with that attitude in their store? It's a threatening way to handle a situation regardless of what rights state and federal protect.

For many people, "service dog" = blind. Guide dogs have been in this country the longest. Dogs for other purposes are a relatively new concept so for many employees and business owners it's a matter of saying, "Oh wow! You weren't aware that dogs can mitigate lots of different disabilities? Well, they can!"

I believe hearing dogs SHOULD only be used when the situation ABSOLUTELY warrants it. If the situation calls for a hearing dog when the master/receiver/owner is completely unable to truthfully lead an independent life on their own, so be it.

I, for one, am hard of hearing and can hear pretty good but if you ask me to talk vocally on the phone or to tell you what the news is saying without captions, I can't do that. My wife on the other hand, is profoundly deaf but still has a very viligant mind to be independent to a degree.

We both have 2 schnauzers, and we have sort of "trained" them to be our listeners. They are NOT service dogs..just our pets. If I can not hear any particular sounds (like some body ringing our very high quiet pitched doorbell..some body pulling into driveway..yelling outside..etc etc etc) and to this date..our dogs are GREAT!!

My personal opinion is this: with the technology changing so fast overnight..if I/were to buy assistive devices and install or hardwire them..they will be obsolete overnight. We still use our Watchman Signaling systems for our VP when it rings. Any one know/remembers WATCHMAN systems? It's slowly breaking down around us and eventually we will have to figure out how to set up another system for our VP.

Back on topic: Having a dog for whatever needs/services should be respected as it is the owner/master/receivers choice. Who are you to pass judgement on any one who you disagree with? If it benefits them, it benefits them whether it may be hair-brained or reeks of total "look at me..I need pity".

In today's society..we need to understand that every bodys needs are different. Yes, true that some establishments shun away service dogs because they are not properly educated on WHY the dog is needed. Now, for those who are taking total advantage of the system and being a lowlife..well..you reap what you sow.

Answer Shel90´s question accord her post #102.

No, I do not need a service dog to help me to hear because I have technology to help me to hear...

No, I do not need a service dog to boost my self-esteem because I know how to positive my self-esteem.

No, I do not need a service dog to interpret for me what the people says because I have an interpreter.

No, I do not need a service dog to help me to watch the traffic, etc because I have my own eyes and can see anything myself.

No, I do not need a service dog to tell something because my pets can do.

No, I do not need a service dog to write and phone for me because I can use email, fax, etc.

All what I have in my opinion.
Yeah... it's like saying that you need a hearing service dog cuz you're very lazy. ;)

"I don't want to look around. I want my dog to look around for me." :roll:

i feel its the individuals right to have a service dog or not. each person is different as are thier needs. dogs can be a way to better function in a hearing environment. if you dont want or need to have a dog, thats wonderfull. if you do want or need a dog, then more power to you. i personally dont feel that just because i have my service dog with me somewhere that i am looking for attention or abusing.... but to each his own....

..... just because someone has a dog doesnt make them lazy either.... thats b.s. im sorry but you never know what other conditions that person may have that they may need the assistance. i guess i just dont understand why some deafies are so rough on other deafies. were all on the same boat so to speak. i understand that each person is different i just am sometimes very suprised at peoples reactions i guess. good thing about getting to read everyones opinions on here about the service dogs is that it has opened my eyes alittle bit. everyone is different and everyone has different needs and has different opinions. just my thoughts.....

Maybe those who grew up with deafness tend not to use the service dogs but those who became deaf later on feel the need for one? Just wondering...

Maybe those who grew up with deafness tend not to use the service dogs but those who became deaf later on feel the need for one? Just wondering...

If you could get the statistics on people here, I have noticed it is late deafened and hard of hearing people who seem to be the owners of hearing dogs. That is just from my observation.

LuvsInk,

First of all, welcome to alldeaf.com! :welcome: Secondly, good post! :gpost:

I was stopped once at a rest area here in Minnesota and was told by the attendant that the dog wasn't necessary inside. I was challenged at a laundramat, the clerk there (young kid) asked, "What about people with allergies?" I replied, "Tough." The clerk during the week, when I came back to do some other work, expressed concern about the little kids. She even mentioned about phoning ahead...to that I replied, "Gee, if I was African-American or another nationality, would I need to do that, too?" I have no reason to worry about little kids, I told her, I worry about the parents...thinking this is a good spot to get my kid bit and sue that bastard with the dog. Then they act all dumb around me (the parents do)...grandparents are just as bad. I've never seen so many old people pointing their fingers at me...using of course, their index fingers... :roll:

If people have allergies they will just have to stay away from the dog! I heard about a woman that was on an airplane with her working dog and the
air stewardess made the woman moved to another seat as someone did not like having a dog near them! The woman with working dog sues the airline and won a lot of money! I think it was $10,000. A guy in my condo buiding is really afaird of my Standard Poodle ,the trustee told me to keep my dog away from the guy ,and I told the trustess that guy had to move away from my dog if he afraid of it!
I was at my doctor office and a woman came in with 2 kids .One about 3 years old , and she got on the floor and put her face just inches away from my dog face! I was waiting for her mother to tell her girl to move , but the mother said nothing! I finally told the mother her girl should NOT be putting her face ib front a a strange dog as some dogs hate this! The mother thought I was nuts! If my dog had bite the girl I would been at fault , but the mother is pushing her luck allowing her kids to stick their face in a strange dog face! Want other people say or do if this happen to you?

I am not sure if all hearing dogs are trained to bark whenever the owner's name is called-- my friend's does-- so for her to take the service dog to her school, a restaurant (when you have to wait for your turn to have a table), and whatnot will be useful when people is calling her name out, unaware that she is Deaf.

:dunno:

My hearing was not trained to bark when my name is called ,he was trained to looked to where the person it that calling me. My hearing was trained to use his nose to "touch me" to tell when the phone ring or alarm clock went off. My poodle did not like doing it that way , he want to touch me with his paw! The first time he did I LOL! I think my dog thought using his nose was "too dog like"!

I don't have a problem with deaf people bringing their hearing dog where ever they go, if they have a documented to allow them to take the dog anywhere they go, then, what's the problem?....

I'm sorry I'm only speaking my own view on this, yet I don't see a problem with anyone bringing their service dog whether the dog is to help them hear, see, or lift them up etc etc....

I don't understand why make a big fuss about it, I heard some deaf people complaint to me why some deaf have a hanicapped sticker or sign in their car, if they are able to walk....It's like so what big deal, if they have forms from the doctor saying they're allow to have one, then leave it alone.....I'm tired of people complain over something so little...it's not going to hurt anyone and beside I don't think it's anyone's business really....

If she feel she wants to bring her service dog with her so the dog can help her hear, then let her :dunno:

I bring my hearing dog everywhere with me! When I do not have my dog people ask me " where is your dog? I left my dog in my car today and when to an indoor flea market and the woman that worked ask where was my dog!
People want to see my dog and say 'Hi to him, he give people a nice big hug
and most people love it! Some older people love to pat my dog and talk about a dog they grew up with. My dog bring joy to people and that is a good thing!

When I started this thread it was to be a fun place to talk about all the dumb excuses that people have used to deny access with your service dog. I should not have to defend my "right" to have one or feel that I need to explain why I have a handicapped plaque. I need my dog and that is that. For those that don't use a service dog, I don't mind, so why should you mind if I do? So, can we please get back on topic and make this fun and not a war on ADA vs. ADA. I have already stated that I am a responsible handler and if someone has a "real problem" then I will accomodate them as I expect to be accomodated for my disabilities. What I won't tolerate is someone trying to use lame excuses to get their way because they are ignorant of the law and my civil rights. I stand up for what I believe in and know to be my right. I may be handicapped but I will use every means available to me to be as independent as I can and I will not allow anyone to take from me anything that allows me this independence.

I agree about some people using lame excuses to deny access you with a
working dog! I had that happen at small cloth store . There was no customers in the store at time just my daugher her child , my hearing dog and I or it me? The man working there asked about my dog ,we said it was service dog the guy said it could not be in the store as people may have allergies , there was no one else in the store ! Then the guy ask if I was not worried about my dog touching the cloths and don't I care about people with allergies? My daughter and told the guy he lost some customers and walked out! The store was done a few weeks later! I wonder by!
My dog is a poodle and NEADS trained him for people that had allergies!

Back