Don't forget 'Sweet Nothing in My Ear' starts in 30 minutes!

I like the movie. I was so glad when the father finally woke up that it was all about him. Not for Adamn nor what Adam wanted or what the family wanted? it have to be family so he dropped it. That took lot of courage of him to admit it was HIM who want the ci for Adam. Bravo!

It take 3 to be a family and all have to make decision. not one. :) That mean something.

I agree. I think the end sent a very powerful message.

yes, indeed especially the end. Wow that gave me goosebump. :giggle:

Me, too. I know a couple of people who should have been tied to a chair with their eyes propped open and forced to watch it!:giggle: But I'm not naming names!:giggle:

Me, too. I know a couple of people who should have been tied to a chair with their eyes propped open and forced to watch it!:giggle: But I'm not naming names!:giggle:

haha that would be a sight to see!!! lol

I just finished watching that movie, I thought it was a interesting movie about the war between hearing and deaf world. Of course, that movie has some flaws but there is no such thing as a perfect movie. It has given me an emotional coaster ride as I watched thru the whole movie.

Have you noticed that we're getting more deaf culture related movies lately?

I just finished watching that movie, I thought it was a interesting movie about the war between hearing and deaf world. Of course, that movie has some flaws but there is no such thing as a perfect movie. It has given me an emotional coaster ride as I watched thru the whole movie.

Have you noticed that we're getting more deaf culture related movies lately?

Yes, its great!

p.s. Can a hearie say that?

i can't believe i just watched 70% of a Hallmark movie. it was a typical contrived-family-drama-filled-with-life-lessons-and-a-syrupy-sweet-and-wholesome-ending kind of movie which is nothing to write home about imo. they unfortunately decided to make it as generic and didactic as possible, so that the only thing they had going for them were the lead actors.

having watched Children of a Lesser God a few weeks ago, i think this movie could be considered Children of a Lesser God 2: Children Harder (or Children of Children of a Lesser God: Marlee Matlin and William Hurt Have a Son and Then He Becomes Deaf and William Hurt Morphs Into Jeff Daniels and More Drama Ensues). are all deaf-related dramas this formulaic?

My review: thumb down don't like the ending, because there's no ending. Total waste of my time.
Sorry to say this because I do like Marlee a lot but not the script of the movie

I miss the end of story because I fell asleep. What happen ?

All in all I liked it, but... I was disappointed in the fact that 90% of the time you could NOT see the signing. Add to the fact that the signing was "dubbed" over by voicing... why not have subtitles?

It is a step forward in the right direction, but still biased toward the hearing community.

I absolutely agree. The "dubbing" just about ruined it for me. I mean - yeah - I use captioning and hearing people most likely wouldn't - but subtitles are pretty much standard when translating language for film. Why on earth was this different?! It just didn't provide an accurate portrayal. I am wondering how this was justified?

Apart from that I thought many good issues were brought out. There was no resolution to some of them either (probably a lot like real life) - and particularly at the end, though I agree with those of you who felt that shifting the focus to what is best for the whole family would absolutely be a positive message.

My review: thumb down don't like the ending, because there's no ending. Total waste of my time.
Sorry to say this because I do like Marlee a lot but not the script of the movie

gotta agree with u

Exactly, but, the problem that I have with the medical perspective is that they portray the CI as "your child will become hearing". Which is totally false. They are basically saying with CI your child will have language and hear just like a normal person. Many times those who get the CI still do not have a language or minimally better. Nor will they hear normally. Yes, it may be better than a standard hearing aid, but if the simulations that can be found on the web are correct - I'd rather not hear those sounds.

Plus, most of the time, the child has no choice until later in life (to not wear it). Now that they are implanting at 9 mos. That child has no say in whether or not he/she wants it.

Yep, I just glad that the doctor told the truth to both of them, that C.I. "does not make you hearing and it not a cure", just help you hear better denpending on how many sound a deaf person can feel. Also I agree that the doctor told them both is not a desicion to make right away or lightly. But I don't agree to give children C.I. as young as 9 months and over. I agree with that part. :)

I like the movie. I was so glad when the father finally woke up that it was all about him. Not for Adamn nor what Adam wanted or what the family wanted? it have to be family so he dropped it. That took lot of courage of him to admit it was HIM who want the ci for Adam. Bravo!

It take 3 to be a family and all have to make decision. not one. :) That mean something.

I think Adam don't understand what going on between his parents talking about C.I. because they never brought it to their son or even ask him. I think the parents need to ask older children what is C.I. and explain to them what it does. But I am glad the doctor told them the truth straight out to Adam's parents on C.I. issue. I also think it good that Adam's father realized he wanted for himself. But what about Adam's want? So it a tough one. It also cost their marriage too. I agree it best for both marriage partner talk about it before making any decision. Adam's father went behind his wife back without asking her first.

I think it was a good movie, but I have a roller coaster ride with my emotional feeling what the hearing father say and do. He is suppose to be best friend to his wife, Laura. That friendship was ruin when they decide to stay together in the end of the movie. Only that I was hoping to have the parents ask him if he want CI or not. :sad:

I've been a CI User since 2001 and it was the best decision I have ever made in my entire life. I was 18 at the time and my parents gave me the option on what I wanted to do. I suffered a concussion in a fight which led to the complete loss of my hearing to the point where my hearing aid didn't work anymore. I was born HOH and gradually got worse.

I think Jeff Daniels provided some great points in the movie, and Laura's dad portrayed someone perfectly that those type of people are against the CI. I've been interviewed a few times with my opinion on the CI and Deaf Culture, and I must say some people are shocked when they heard that I highly recommend it.

I thought it was a good movie, I just wish they would have went into more depth about the CI to educate the public about it. I'm one of just a few people in my hometown that have it and I do my best to educate everyone on it. All in all, I hope they do more of these in the future.

The movie itself was alright, but I feel they neglected an important aspect by not including the son in the decision making. At the age of 8, he should be able to give some input. I'm glad they ended it the way they did, as I was thinking throughout the movie that regardless whether the boy ended up getting the implant or not, if they SHOWED one of those endings, one "group" of the deaf community would end up mighty upset.

The movie itself was alright, but I feel they neglected an important aspect by not including the son in the decision making. At the age of 8, he should be able to give some input. I'm glad they ended it the way they did, as I was thinking throughout the movie that regardless whether the boy ended up getting the implant or not, if they SHOWED one of those endings, one "group" of the deaf community would end up mighty upset.

Agree with you neecy. I think that it would have been a positive aspect to include the son. I think though, that the producers were trying very hard not to make just another CI movie, but to show the emotional struggles associated.

Back