Don't Buy Girl Scout Cookies!

pek1

Reaction score
Two Ann Arbor Girl Scouts cut out the cookies as part of palm oil protest - Latest News - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com

Reporter Marjorie Kauth-Karjala can be reached at 734-482-2961 or mkarjala@annarbornews.com.

ANN ARBOR -- Two Greenhills Middle School students who started a project to earn a Girl Scout Bronze Award have ended up rejecting what may be the best known of their organization's symbols: Girl Scout cookies.

Madison Vorva and Rhiannon Tomtishen, both 12, started doing research last fall on endangered orangutans in Indonesia as part of their Bronze Award project. They discovered that the habitat of orangutans is being threatened by conversion of the land to the production of palm oil, which is an ingredient in Girl Scout cookies.

Although they've sold many boxes of Girl Scout cookies over the years, this year they sold magazines instead because of the palm oil issues. "Just doing the Bronze Award wouldn't be enough," Madison said. Rhiannon agreed. "We have stopped selling (the cookies)," she said. The girls have also launched an education drive, giving presentations at their school in Ann Arbor and other area schools and they have established a Web site. They also recently met Jane Goodall at a youth conference in Chicago, where Goodall signed their petition against palm oil. Goodall is renowned for her studies of primates and efforts to protect them.

Palm oil production leads to conflict between orangutans and people, the girls said.

"We've seen pictures of orangutans set afire and beaten. You really just want to reach out and do all that you can to help save them," Madison said.
Palm oil, which is produced from a fern-like plant, is grown after the rain forest is logged and then burned - the slash-and-burn agricultural technique practiced for centuries in tropical areas. The deforestation is increasing rapidly, party because the demand for palm oil, which is trans fat free, has risen, the girls said. They said that palm oil is found in numerous products, including many candies and snacks that they once enjoyed but now avoid.

Trans fat is unhealthy for humans. In 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration began requiring trans fat to be listed on the Nutrition Facts labels on manufactured food products.

Lisa Raycraft, director of funds development for Girl Scouts of the Huron Valley Council, to which Rhiannon and Madison belong, said cookie sales are a vital part of the organization's funding. Maintaining two camps that involve girls in nature and outdoor skills would not be possible without the cookie sales, Raycraft said. She also said that ABC Bakers, which produces cookies sold by the council, has said it is committed to using palm oil grown on rehabilitated or previously cleared land rather than on land that is deforested specifically for palm oil production. Raycraft also gave The News a letter from the company that said it is researching how to use as little palm oil as possible.

The girls said the explanation does not satisfy them and they plan to continue their boycott of Girl Scout cookies.

Raycraft said the council will work with the girls and has invited them to make their presentation about the dangers of palm oil to Girl Scout leaders prior to next year's cookie sale. The education effort is to be part of Rhiannon and Madison's work toward the Girl Scout Silver Award, Raycraft said.

The two girls said they plan to continue as Girl Scouts despite the conflict. "Overall, it's a pretty good organization," Madison said.

This is a fantastic article and hope everyone decides to put a dent in Raycraft's paycheck in that area by not buying girl scout cookies. I'd rather buy a magazine, providing there are good ones to buy.

Let's all stand up and just say no to the Girl Scouts for selling these cookies! I'm doing my part! I think it's sad that animals have to be killed in order for humans to have something. It really shows our greed here in the United States.

Hey Pete! :wave:

Care to explain what's trans fat ? :D

I'm not gonna boycott girl scout cookies, they are very popular, and very good.

Haha... Well when I was in boyscott, I remember we take the old Christmas tree for $$ and used it for our camping at Canada, thank to those people who helped our team! And their welcome for our help to trash the old Christmas tree. It's just that we are helping each other. ;)

It would seem that the greatest problem with palm oil comes out of its use as biofuel by European energy plants. With its ecological effects made evident, the European energy market is now requiring proof of "responsible eco-friendly production." While energy production is why its market is growing, palm oil can be found in cosmetics and 11% of supermarket foods. Palm oil production has little or no regulations/laws which makes it a very lucrative investment.

Here's what the Girls Scout's website has to say:
Frequently Asked Questions: Girl Scout Cookies®

Q: Why do you still use tropical oils such as palm oil?

A: Our cookie bakers tell us it is still necessary to use tropical oils for the production of compound coating. Many top bakers have tried to stop using it, but without it, their products do not meet production standards. There are currently eight varieties of Girl Scout Cookies produced by each baker licensed to produce Girl Scout Cookies. Each baker produces Girl Scout Cookie varieties without palm oil.

They listed two websites of their bakers. I checked the sites out and, on all nutrition labels, palm oil is listed. There is no reference anywhere on these sites as to how I can get it without.

Consider this:
Palm oil boycott an unrealistic approach to conserving biodiversity
Boycotting palm oil produced in Southeast Asia in an "unrealistic" and "ineffective" approach to conserving the region's fast-disappearing rainforests, said a Princeton University researcher speaking at a conference on the sustainability of palm oil. Instead, NGOs should focus on engaging and working with the palm oil industry to reduce its impact on the environment.

According to the article, the bakers switched to the palm oil because people complained about them using unhealthy trans fats. Great. They did the "right" thing by switching to palm oil, so now they're punished for that action.

Is anyone boycotting the biofuel companies who are using the palm oil wholesale? Or are they picking on Girl Scouts only?

The orangutan site doesn't recommend boycotting the sale of cookies:

"Boycotting palm oil is not the answer, but demanding that it is sourced from sustainable plantations is."
The Australian Orangutan Project » Palm oil industry killing orangutans

I have never heard people complain that much over girl scout cookies been a years of traditions. I used to be a girl scout when I was young. But if people know that cookies are fatten, then don't buy them. If you want healthy cookies them make them without sugar. There are lot of ways to make better cookies. :)

I do like Girl Scout Cookies.. the Green Mints as my fave and I'm still alive and I still plan to buy more if they give out more :)

I am against animal cruelity and if this is true about what the girl souts are selling, then I'll make sure I can reject that.

I rather orginal baked chocolate chip cookies or especially Oreos.

Honestly, I dont really like all of the stuff that the girl scouts are selling.

Attachments

• penny arcade3.jpg
    penny arcade3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15
I am against animal cruelity and if this is true about what the girl souts are selling, then I'll make sure I can reject that.
Do you eat meat or are you a vegetarian?

Back on topic:

Cookies are made out of sugar, shortening, margarine, eggs, flour, milk, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Only problem is palm oil, which is an ingredient in girl scout cookies. Palm oil is from a fern like plant. Plus palm oil is found in many candies and snacks. Should we boycott candies and snacks too?

Palm oil (tropical oils) for cooking and baking...? :eek3: :cold: I never heard about this...

I only know that palm oil is use for beauty cosmetic and fragrances only here in Germany, not cooking and baking.

I have never heard people complain that much over girl scout cookies been a years of traditions. I used to be a girl scout when I was young. But if people know that cookies are fatten, then don't buy them. If you want healthy cookies them make them without sugar. There are lot of ways to make better cookies. :)

Without sugar? :eek3:

Can you please give me recipe for that cookies without sugar? It could be that honey should be replace for sugar?

Well, I do homemade cookies a lot. I use low fat butter, brown sugar, wheat flour, baking powder, dark chopped chocolate, egg, some milk. That's all.

Palm oil (tropical oils) for cooking and baking...? :eek3: :cold: I never heard about this...

I only know that palm oil is use for beauty cosmetic and fragrances only here in Germany, not cooking and baking.
Yes, can be use in food, and also in soaps, toothpaste, shampoo, cosmetics and detergents. Palm oil is almost like vegetable oil but not the same but similar.

Seems folks are looking for a quick fix to the problem by boycotting. One should consider that there may be another factor at work.

Why is oil palm replacing tropical rainforests
On paper, given the vast area of tropical forest in the region and the relatively high value of palm oil, the plan may seem like a viable option from an economic standpoint. However, closer analysis of the suitability of the land for oil-palm cultivation has green groups questioning the stated purpose of the plan, suggesting that there may be other intentions.

Surveys of the region commissioned by WWF found that much of the land is poorly suited for oil palm. Mountainous terrain combined with inappropriate altitude and climate for oil palm means that only 10 percent at most can be considered adequate for cultivation and lends credibility to claims by environmental groups that the entire plan may be a cover for a massive logging scheme to harvest the area’s rich timber resources.

Given the prior record with oil-palm development and the inadequacy of the land in question, environmental groups suspect that should work commence on the project, forests outside the concession area would likely be cleared, with some landowners never intent on actually planting trees. The Friends of the Earth paper notes that “a lot of plantation concessions issued by the government are not truly developed into oil-palm greenfields. Instead, these lands appear to be abandoned as the concession holder does not work the land.”

You'll have to boycott not just the Girls Scouts, but nearly all cookie, cracker, pastry, cereal and microwave popcorn companies. Explosion of palm oil use is found within these products.

Palm oil is a major cause of heart disease. I find it funny that people worry about orangutans and not their own health.

You'd better read the package, then. Chances are they have palm oil in the ingredients, as well.

Last edited:
Talk about reading the Girl Scout's packages...

Last year I was going through a depressing time and I got 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies from a local troop. No I did not intend to eat them all BUT I did. :giggle:

Then after 3 weeks I noticed my pants did not fit AT ALL anymore and I weighed myself. How much did I gain????

7 pounds!!!!!

Then I looked at the package (nope didn't check BEFORE I ate them) and discovered that in ONE cookie there was like 200 calories or something. I was blown away. Honestly I did not realize how fattening they were.

I am happy to report that it's been over a year now and I have not had ONE Girl Scout cookie. The woman from my local troop emailed me asking me if I wanted to order any and I was like "Hell No I don't want to gain 7 more pounds!!!"

No:ty:

Without sugar? :eek3:

Can you please give me recipe for that cookies without sugar? It could be that honey should be replace for sugar?

Well, I do homemade cookies a lot. I use low fat butter, brown sugar, wheat flour, baking powder, dark chopped chocolate, egg, some milk. That's all.

Sure, I got sugar free cookie I made for some friends that are diabetic can t use sugar. Here recipes:

Sugar-Free Maple Cookie Recipe

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup margarine, softened (make sure it's vegan!)
1/2 cup maple syrup
Ener-g Egg Replacer for 1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt

PREPARATION:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream together the margarine, maple syrup, vanilla and egg replacer. Add the flour and stir until well combined.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until bottoms of cookies are golden brown.
enjoy.

Stores even now sell sugar free cookies as well. :) :cool2:

I honestly don't believe they are using that on animals. I have to disagree with that. sorry. The oil palm tree is a tropical plant which commonly grows in warm climates at altitudes of less than 1,600 feet above sea level. Oil palm is normally monoic; in other words, it has both male and female flowers on the same tree. It produces thousands of fruits, in compact bunches whose weight varies between 10 and 40 kilograms. Each fruit is almost spherical, ovoid or elongated in shape. Generally the fruit is dark purple, almost black before it ripens and orange red when ripe. So a tree is not really animals, but yes trees are living things people do eat fruits from trees. :)

Yep that true, also Palm and kernel oils are used in the production of oleochemical products such as fatty acids, fatty esters, fatty alcohols, which all contain glycerol and fatty nitrogen. Recently, palm and kernel oils have been increasingly used as biodiesel fuel. In Asia , palm oil is also referred to as ‘gold oil' for its perfect balance of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids which do not adversely affect cholesterol levels. :)

Back