Don't Buy Girl Scout Cookies!

That may be the case, Pinky, but, taking out the sugar and making them low fat will have them add something else, such as salt. Granted, we need salt in our diet, but too much is not good, either.

I understand that you need the sodium for your diet. I don't really eat too much salt. I do eat too much on sugar. I have to be careful with sugar. I don't want to have a diabetic in future. Just eat a limit on cookies serving.

Diabetes is genetic (both types). It is not brought on by eating too much sugar. Eating too much sugar causes obesity.
Reference: Can too much sugar cause diabetes?

A recent study has found that fake sugar (or "sugar free") has been found to cause weight gain. (Apparently, our bodies' metabolism do not process fake sugar as well as natural sugar.)
Reference: Fake Sugar Could Make You Fat | Wired Science from Wired.com

Step back from the Samoas and nobody gets hurt.

From the health perspective, sure, Girl Scout cookies aren't "health" foods. So? If people eat just a few as a dessert treat, along with daily good nutrition, then it's not so big a deal. No one buys cookies expecting to use them for their daily nutrition needs.

If they buy cookies and eat a box full every day, then they have a problem. But most people don't do that.

We need to get back to the basics. At one time they used simple receipes and young girls made cookies themselves. This is what I found from the Girl Scout website: Girl Scout Cookie® History: Early Years

Quote:
In the 1920s and 1930s, Girl Scouts in different parts of the country continued to bake their own simple sugar cookies with their mothers. These cookies were packaged in wax paper bags, sealed with a sticker, and sold door to door for 25 to 35 cents per dozen.

AN EARLY GIRL SCOUT COOKIE® RECIPE

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar plus additional amount for topping (optional)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Cream butter and the cup of sugar; add well-beaten eggs, then milk, vanilla, flour, salt, and baking powder. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Roll dough, cut into trefoil shapes, and sprinkle sugar on top, if desired. Bake in a quick oven (375°) for approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Makes six- to seven-dozen cookies.

End of Quote.

Cookies anyone? :)

From the health perspective, sure, Girl Scout cookies aren't "health" foods. So? If people eat just a few as a dessert treat, along with daily good nutrition, then it's not so big a deal. No one buys cookies expecting to use them for their daily nutrition needs.

If they buy cookies and eat a box full every day, then they have a problem. But most people don't do that.

Right on. :thumb: We can only buy Girl Scout cookies once a year, so I'm not so worried about the fat grams.

same here

Right on. :thumb: We can only buy Girl Scout cookies once a year, so I'm not so worried about the fat grams.
I love those mint cookies whehter they are not good or not My money goes for the scouts good cause since my son is still in the scouts etc

Girl Scout cookies is been around for ages, there is nothing wrong. We're still alive in each mintue when we bite the cookie.

The Girl Scout cookies were excellent qualities in the old days.

Now, the ingredients are bad even you do not know the different taste between now and the old days.

In the old days, the Girl Scout company was serious and cared about the quality. The cookies that you bought from the scout are really crappy because you didn't know the difference.

If you still love the cookies, then just buy them. In fact, organic cookies are better or bakery shops makes fresh cookies. That would even better than the Girl Scout cheap cookies. Unless the Girl Scout Company accepts to change back to the old ingredients, then it would be great.

Oh well, I just wanted to let you know about it.

Unfortunately, the wholesome benefit of eating organic does not extend to the wallet's health.

If growers are passionate about organic food, why does the passion not spill over onto the sticker price?

Girl Scouts Cookies is an annual fundraiser. They're made with low costs in mind with a great return/profit. It goes to a good thing and, perhaps, the Girl Scouts can become "Wonder Women" in the "greening" of our planet?

. . . Girl Scouts Cookies is an annual fundraiser. They're made with low costs in mind with a great return/profit.

:ugh: Anyone have any idea what the profit margin is? I know that the headquarters for GS takes the vast majority of the sales (the pimp mommas) and, last I heard, local clubs get piddly crumbs on the dollar for funds. I believe that the amount a club gets is actually less than five cents on the dollar, if even that. I could be wrong, but I did hear the report about it years ago.

Back