Does CI person need interpreter?

and saw how many grades levels below they were working at and that was not acceptable for my children and being oral was just an added bonsus.
Yeah, but how many of those kids were oral failures or who didn't get the appropreate services? Like I honestly, honestly think that a BIG part of the reason why dhh kids haven't done too well is b/c they may have not gotten appropreate intervention. I'm a little older then your kids. I think the kids who you saw may have been my generation. We were the first kids to be kneejerkingly mainstreamed. A lot of times dhh kids would be sent to just an general early intervention program. (ie one for kids with ALL sorts of disabilites)
You put a kid like that in a general program that is more suited towards kids with physical or mental delays, and the kid loses out.
Also, until recently dhh kids were thought to be basicly MR. So we got a dumbed down curriculum. Did you see any of the kids who had appropreate intervention and ASL support from dx?
One of my friends from when I was very little, is Deaf. She went to a regional Deaf school program, and then she went to ASD. From there she went to Gally...........Guess what? She is VERY educated. She even went to a hearing college for GRAD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gee..........doesn't sound like the 4 grade reading level or the doing double digit addition in jr high (and wow..........that IS delayed...........I can undy plms with English but I mean I'm LD, for math and I was doing much more advanced stuff)

How about we skip the coke or pepsi and go straight to the rum! flip, does that work for you?

Cough! Sure, who you think I am? Got some decent local caribbean rum here that will make everyone agree on anything, though the hangover needs to be worked on.:cool2:

I haven't been around AD very long, but I get the feeling we are seeing some new trends here, like the comeback of Cued Speech and oral deaf education advocates.

Last year, the debates was more wether CI children could work as hearies or not, and could success in mainstream programs. Now we are focusing more on special settings, oral, bilingual and charter schools. Can it be that the CI is getting worse?

I haven't been around AD very long, but I get the feeling we are seeing some new trends here, like the comeback of Cued Speech and oral deaf education advocates.

Last year, the debates was more wether CI children could work as hearies or not, and could success in mainstream programs. Now we are focusing more on special settings, oral, bilingual and charter schools. Can it be that the CI is getting worse?

I don't think so. Just that longitudinal data is indicating that it is not the panacea it was promoted to be.

Try this: www.autismisaworld.org Or you could use a Google search.

sorry will not google it, I wonder if it is a great site.

I could use some information since more and more children with autism are being mainstreamed into the school. Guess I am glad I just signed up for the autism workshop at Vanderbilt this summer and to go for my certification with autism. I really enjoy working students with disabilities. It is my passion. And I know I do the best I can with the tools, technology, and materials I have. You see I am always open to learning new strategies and skills to became a better educator and give my students the best I can.

sorry will not google it, I wonder if it is a great site.

I could use some information since more and more children with autism are being mainstreamed into the school. Guess I am glad I just signed up for the autism workshop at Vanderbilt this summer and to go for my certification with autism. I really enjoy working students with disabilities. It is my passion. And I know I do the best I can with the tools, technology, and materials I have. You see I am always open to learning new strategies and skills to became a better educator and give my students the best I can.

Hmm...always open to learning new things about your students, but won't take the time to do a Google search? I suppose you can wonder if its a great site or not. I was referred tothe site by a Ph.D. in education, and have referred anpther member of AD to the site who has an autistic child because of the wealth of information and the eye opening nature of the site. She found the site very useful, and has reccommended that I use it as a reference for other parents. I guess it is jsut a matter of whether you are willing to exert the effort necessary to obtain information.

vallee - Cueing without voice can/is used with autistic children. The cues are close to the face/mouth creating an optimum focusing tool. Voice can be added later, although softly at first, depending on the child and their individual auditory processing.

Yeah, but how many of those kids were oral failures or who didn't get the appropreate services? Like I honestly, honestly think that a BIG part of the reason why dhh kids haven't done too well is b/c they may have not gotten appropreate intervention. I'm a little older then your kids. I think the kids who you saw may have been my generation. We were the first kids to be kneejerkingly mainstreamed. A lot of times dhh kids would be sent to just an general early intervention program. (ie one for kids with ALL sorts of disabilites)
You put a kid like that in a general program that is more suited towards kids with physical or mental delays, and the kid loses out.
Also, until recently dhh kids were thought to be basicly MR. So we got a dumbed down curriculum. Did you see any of the kids who had appropreate intervention and ASL support from dx?
One of my friends from when I was very little, is Deaf. She went to a regional Deaf school program, and then she went to ASD. From there she went to Gally...........Guess what? She is VERY educated. She even went to a hearing college for GRAD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gee..........doesn't sound like the 4 grade reading level or the doing double digit addition in jr high (and wow..........that IS delayed...........I can undy plms with English but I mean I'm LD, for math and I was doing much more advanced stuff)

I havn't been teaching that long. I finished my student teaching in 2000 and the observation I am talking about all the kids have been in a TC program since early start so they are not oral failures. In some of the TC programs I have been too there have been a couple of what you call oral failures but it was less then 10%. So there goes your theory. So what you going to say now.

NO, the technology os CI is getting better.

Hmm...always open to learning new things about your students, but won't take the time to do a Google search? I suppose you can wonder if its a great site or not. I was referred tothe site by a Ph.D. in education, and have referred anpther member of AD to the site who has an autistic child because of the wealth of information and the eye opening nature of the site. She found the site very useful, and has reccommended that I use it as a reference for other parents. I guess it is jsut a matter of whether you are willing to exert the effort necessary to obtain information.

It is not the point of doing a google search. It is the point of providing a link that works. I did visit the site, it had some information. It was not an eye opener since I have working with autism(Aspenger, Williams, and high functioning) for a number of years. I have taken a number of classes and research already.

So if I say the student is having a temper tantrum and it is in order not to do work. I have months of working with this student and testing data to support it. Any teacher knows the differences.

It is not the point of doing a google search. It is the point of providing a link that works. I did visit the site, it had some information. It was not an eye opener since I have working with autism(Aspenger, Williams, and high functioning) for a number of years. I have taken a number of classes and research already.

So if I say the student is having a temper tantrum and it is in order not to do work. I have months of working with this student and testing data to support it. Any teacher knows the differences.

Did you watch the video? Of an adult attending and competing with nondisabled peers who has no oral communication whatsoever, and uses a message board to communicate. And of the obvious bursts of temper that she is still subject to related to the communication difficulties of autism? And of the fact that when she was provided proper communication accommodations and support, it has been shown that she is much higher functioning intellectually than any of her teachers, parents, or doctors ever suspected?

NO, the technology os CI is getting better.

CI and mainstreaming was a natural combo for more than one parent a decade ago, and that choice should have increased as CIs is getting better. By reading information from CI companies, the CIs sure have improved a lot, but why aren't your students transfered to mainstream programs, if they did that 10 years ago with much crappier implants? Instead some of them are collected in one place, getting special oral education like the old days of HA. They aren't treated indepedent deaf people functioning in a hearing world to me. That's why I can't help it, but feel that the CIs are getting crappier.

Back