Does CI person need interpreter?

lumbingmi

Reaction score
A student has CI so should she get an interpreter in mainstream school? Since CI would help her to be able to hear what teacher has to say, so do she need interpreter or not? Or she will be able to survive through her middle/high school years without interpreter?

I think it hugely depends on how well the CI is working out for them- having a device that makes you capable of -hearing- a pin drop doesn't equal knowing being able to convert sound into concept, and the same applies with language- being able to hear it doesn't mean you can understand it, and much like the limitations with hearing aids, sometimes you just can't hear it all the same.

If the kid is doing okay with their CI and generally has very good understanding of spoken language in classroom settings, I don't see why they would need it, but if they feel it would help... clearly, they're deaf, so they should be allowed that right. If the kid is doing poorly, then I think an interpreter (or transliterator or captioner) should be considered essential.

Each student's needs are different. I've interpreted for middle school and college students who have CI's.

Each student's needs are different. I've interpreted for middle school and college students who have CI's.

I have seen several children with cochlear implant with an interpreter during the performance. One interpreter (oral) and (ASL). They look at ASL interpreter. Poor oral interpreter worked so hard to keep her mouth movement for 2 hours. No one watched her, most of audience watch ASL interpreter. What a waste money to spend on oral interpreter, they are useless !

I agree with the above posters. Although CI helps greatly with hearing sounds, but it does not give them 100% speech discrimination. What if there's many students behind the deaf students talking, will she be able to catch everything? What if the teacher has the habit of talking towards the board? What if the teacher has an accent, and the student has difficultly understanding? There's always the "what if" factors. It is better to provide interpreters before the problems occur. I don't know how school boards are strict, but sometimes they would say, "But she didn't need interpreters before!

I would just leave it up to the CI person if they want an interpreter or not.

There nothing for a CI person to request an interpreter if they felt the need for one.

It's up to the CI'er, only the CI'er would know how well s/he can hear to get by in the classes without interpreters or not. Even though I am doing really well with my CI, if I was back in school - I will still request interpreters for all classes because I want to be on the safe side, still have my 'terps & not have to work so hard at listening thru out the whole class, especially since college classes run much longer than HS classes!

A student has CI so should she get an interpreter in mainstream school? Since CI would help her to be able to hear what teacher has to say, so do she need interpreter or not? Or she will be able to survive through her middle/high school years without interpreter?

So basically it comes down to how much can person w/ CI understand the spoken language? I believe, correct me if i m wrong, that CI will improve one's dB to 30 db which is good enough to hear pretty much like hearing person. So why is it necessary to have interpreter if one can hear very well and shldn't it be a good practice for CI to rely on hearing rather than visually?

From your experience, are these CI students able to speak very well and/or do these are fluent in sign language?

I have seen several children with cochlear implant with an interpreter during the performance. One interpreter (oral) and (ASL). They look at ASL interpreter. Poor oral interpreter worked so hard to keep her mouth movement for 2 hours. No one watched her, most of audience watch ASL interpreter. What a waste money to spend on oral interpreter, they are useless !

Pretty dumb to have both interpreter. And it shows that sign language is truly natural language so I m dumbfounded why hearing parents still insist implant child and try to hearization their child.

I agree with the above posters. Although CI helps greatly with hearing sounds, but it does not give them 100% speech discrimination. What if there's many students behind the deaf students talking, will she be able to catch everything? What if the teacher has the habit of talking towards the board? What if the teacher has an accent, and the student has difficultly understanding? There's always the "what if" factors. It is better to provide interpreters before the problems occur. I don't know how school boards are strict, but sometimes they would say, "But she didn't need interpreters before!

Isn't it the major reason to get CI is to be able to hear WHOLE and hear like normal hearing person? So it seems to me that it is stupid for deaf to get CI in the first place yet still relying on interpreter if he/she can't hear what teachers or students are saying.

Isn't it the major reason to get CI is to be able to hear WHOLE and hear like normal hearing person? So it seems to me that it is stupid for deaf to get CI in the first place yet still relying on interpreter if he/she can't hear what teachers or students are saying.

It's NOT stupid. Having a CI requires a lot of training to "rewire" how ears perceive sound. Without the training, you will not have a good sentence discrimination. A hearing person that became deaf later in life that gets a CI will say, "Oh it sounds normal!". A deaf person who never heard of certain sounds before would be surprised on what they can hear with the CI, and it takes them time to connect the sound what they heard to something they know. I heard my cat poop for the first time...I never heard of it, and If I wasn't watching her I wouldn't have known what I heard. Now, when I hear the same sound, I'll remember that's the sound of my cat pooping. Hearing people who became deaf later on, will have already recognize the sounds. Deaf people with a CI IS NOT "WHOLE LIKE A HEARING PERSON". They're still deaf.

I got the CI because my hearing has gotten progressively worse to the point where my HA does not help me at all. I am one of those deaf people that cannot live without sound. I cannot live without hearing my cats purr. I cannot live without hearing Reba sing, "Fancy".
And guess what - I still rely on interpreters for classes, just like I have always had. I probably would not rely on them AS much, but nevertheless, I will still rely on them.

So, it's NOT stupid.

Last edited:
Deaf people with a CI IS NOT "WHOLE LIKE A HEARING PERSON". They're still deaf.

So, it's NOT stupid.

So what sounds will be like for deaf person who get CI late and never had hear sounds in his/her life? Just like radio static?

Disclaimer: I m not bashing CI. I just want to find out if CI person still need interpreter despite their improving hearing.

Noone said that and if a deaf or HoH or doctor or audie said this then they are stupid for saying it.

And I hope your not passing off poor judgement thinking that is the major reason of CIs.

From your experience, are these CI students able to speak very well and/or do these are fluent in sign language?

Pretty dumb to have both interpreter. And it shows that sign language is truly natural language so I m dumbfounded why hearing parents still insist implant child and try to hearization their child.

I think you need to educate yourself some more regarding cochlear implants before issuing opinions like the ones above.

BTW Kalista, I often look at ASL interpreters but will listen auditorily to what is being said so to base the premise on the validity or need of an oral interpreter on such an unreliable basis as your subjective observation of who is looking at which interpreter is faulty and of dubious credibility.
Rick

So what sounds will be like for deaf person who get CI late and never had hear sounds in his/her life? Just like radio static?

Disclaimer: I m not bashing CI. I just want to find out if CI person still need interpreter despite their improving hearing.

I've always described my deafness as a hearing foreigner being in China. He cannot "comprehend" the language, but can hear environmental sounds, hear people talking, hear the coffee going, etc. That's the same way for me, I can hear the coffee going. I can hear people talking (I just can't make out what they're saying), I can hear papers rustling about. I lost that within the last year and half, so the CI brings that back and more. Because I KNOW what paper rustling sounds like when I had my HAs, so when there's paper rustling, I know exactly what I just heard. With the CI, it sounds a lot louder to me because my brain is not used the high frequency sounds that's present that I never had in the first place.

For a deaf person that NEVER heard a sound in his/her life (Adults), it will sound very bizarre and radio staticky (actually, it sounds "normal", but because of the high frequency sounds, it sounds like a radio static. I had that the first two days of activation, now I don't hear the staticky noise anymore because I've gotten used to it) because they cannot comprehend the sounds they're hearing.

Five of my friends have CI. Although they were implanted as adults, they still require interpreters for certain situations (meetings, classes, etc), but they don't rely on them AS much.

So that answers your question, it really all depends on the individuals.

For most people, a CI is much better than a HA or they cant hear anything with a HA which is why they get it. If I stop being able to hear with my HAs..(I dont care for being able to hear and understand speech) I may consider a CI. I dont want complete silence but so far with my HAs, it works great for me.

BTW Kalista, I often look at ASL interpreters but will listen auditorily to what is being said so to base the premise on the validity or need of an oral interpreter on such an unreliable basis as your subjective observation of who is looking at which interpreter is faulty and of dubious credibility.
Rick

Love it. :)

I think you need to educate yourself some more regarding cochlear implants before issuing opinions like the ones above.

Good thing that we have messageboard these days.

So that answers your question, it really all depends on the individuals.

Ah thanks. Yea I guess so.

For most people, a CI is much better than a HA or they cant hear anything with a HA which is why they get it. If I stop being able to hear with my HAs..(I dont care for being able to hear and understand speech) I may consider a CI. I dont want complete silence but so far with my HAs, it works great for me.

I believe CI is not good idea if you re satisfy with HA because CI surgery will obliterate cochlear. Once you get CI and your CI malfunctioned, then you will not be able to hear anything even with hearing aid. High Risk/High Reward.

Good thing that we have messageboard these days.

Ah thanks. Yea I guess so.

I believe CI is not good idea if you re satisfy with HA because CI surgery will obliterate cochlear. Once you get CI and your CI malfunctioned, then you will not be able to hear anything even with hearing aid. High Risk/High Reward.

I meant if I can hear zip with my HAs on..like dead silence. Know what I mean?

Not necessarily. I still have my residual hearing, though this does not happen to everyone...but it does happen.

I was satisfied with my HA for 27 years until my ears crapped out on me.

Implants are good for a very long time. People that got implanted 20 years ago, still have them and use them today.

That also varies from student to student. Some prefer to do their own speaking, some prefer me to voice for them.

Honestly, I know many people (kids and adults) with CI's and there are no two alike in their language skills (receptive and expressive) and preferences. They're like snow flakes. :)

Back