Does CI person need interpreter?

In answer to the original question, I have several students with CI who use an ASL terp in class.

So what sounds will be like for deaf person who get CI late and never had hear sounds in his/her life? Just like radio static?

Many people in that situation in that situation (deaf adult, never heard sounds before CI) do experience radio static type sounds, basically because their brains cannot process the sound. It's not enough just to hear the sound, the brain must also process and interpret it and the skills to do this typically are developed in the first few years of life, either through natural hearing, hearing aids etc. Past this stage in development, the window shuts and it's very difficult to train someone to do this in adulthood.

Also many CI centers will only implant such people after considerable counselling about expectations or some will not do it at all due to the generally poor results for this segment of deaf people.

In a small classroom where people are quiet and respectful towards the teacher, I have NO problem understanding speech. That's one reason why I decided (at age 35) to go back to college. Same goes for a small gathering of people, or one-on-one conversation with others.

However go into a room where lots of people are talking, and the background conversation can impede your ability to discern speech.

Then you have to take into consideration the speaker - do they speak clearly? Do they enunciate well? Perhaps they have a lisp, or a stutter, or an accent. Perhaps they speak too fast - all these can make understanding their speech difficult.
Yes, indeedy! That is why it's important for even oral sucesses to pick up ASL/Sign as a second language. Just b/c a kid can "hear" with a person who's a good speaker, it doesn't mean that they'll be able to function well in ALL situtions.

*drops a book*

Can you hear that? I bet you did. But, do you know what that sound was? Probably not.

The same thing applies to those who have cochlear implants. They may hear the teacher, but will they understand what the teacher is saying? That's the question the student should be asking when deciding whether or not an interpreter is needed.

I've seen some students at NTID/RIT who get cochlear implants and immediately say they can hear everything. So, they stop signing. They don't request interpreters any more. They start hanging out with only hearing people. They leave all relations to deafness behind.

Months later, they fail classes because they can't understand the teacher very well. They can't understand the hearing people very well. They're in denial. They've lost their deaf friends. They leave school.

*drops a book*

Can you hear that? I bet you did. But, do you know what that sound was? Probably not.

The same thing applies to those who have cochlear implants. They may hear the teacher, but will they understand what the teacher is saying? That's the question the student should be asking when deciding whether or not an interpreter is needed.

I've seen some students at NTID/RIT who get cochlear implants and immediately say they can hear everything. So, they stop signing. They don't request interpreters any more. They start hanging out with only hearing people. They leave all relations to deafness behind.

Months later, they fail classes because they can't understand the teacher very well. They can't understand the hearing people very well. They're in denial. They've lost their deaf friends. They leave school.

That is a sad situation, vampy.

*drops a book*

Sad situation indeed...that's because they have too much high expectations. They *think* they can hear everything but in reality, they don't, and don't want to admit that they need help. So yeah, they're in denial. Makes me wonder if they really did the research beforehand even though they're adults?

Even though I have bilateral CIs, I still use CART and an FM system in the clasroom due to poor acoustics and my inability to see to lipread. Last semester I was grateful for these accommodations due to the large lecture halls (200+ students) my classes were in.

Before I returned to school following my second CI surgery, I considered only using an FM syem in the classroom, but am glad I requested CART in addition to the FM. I was also worried that my university's D/HH office would refuse my request, but even they understood the difficulty I would have trying to hear in a large lecture hall.

In my opinion, the more tools one has in their communication toolbox, the better.

AMEN! I'm for the whole toolbox approach.

For the most part, I don't need a terp to interact on a one to one basis but I certainly will need a terp for classes as I have trouble following the converation in groups larger than 4 and I do best in classes that don't have a heavy lecture format due to problems with ADD.

A student has CI so should she get an interpreter in mainstream school? Since CI would help her to be able to hear what teacher has to say, so do she need interpreter or not? Or she will be able to survive through her middle/high school years without interpreter?
In our daughters case - No. We used sign until Lotte started using speech only..
Not knowing sign - except some basic signs that still stick - she has never had an interpreter. In the last 2 years, at a kindergarten between hearing children.
In august she will start school. This will be a big step, and teachers will have to be aware how to interact with her.
All the preparations for the best possible start have began and the school, us and Lotte are looking forward to the beginning of a new era in Lotte's life. An interpreter is not part of the preparations..

In our daughters case - No. We used sign until Lotte started using speech only..
Not knowing sign - except some basic signs that still stick - she has never had an interpreter. In the last 2 years, at a kindergarten between hearing children.
In august she will start school. This will be a big step, and teachers will have to be aware how to interact with her.
All the preparations for the best possible start have began and the school, us and Lotte are looking forward to the beginning of a new era in Lotte's life. An interpreter is not part of the preparations..

I have never heard of terps in the kindergarten, how does that look like? Even if you considered a terp, it would be pointless as Lotte is monolingual in a spoken language and the use of terps is out of reach. Lotte is past the age most children are able to learn a new language without instructions. You really have to place all your luck on a mainstream setting without terp. Hope it works out well, because there are no easy exits if that fails.

I have never heard of terps in the kindergarten, how does that look like?
Terps in public school kindergartens are more like teacher aides. The kids don't know the difference between a teacher and a terp. They think all grownups at school are "teachers". Also terps for little kids usually have collateral duties such as helping the kids in the bathroom, changing diapers, playground and lunchroom duty, and interacting with the teacher.

I love little kids but I don't like "interpreting" for them in elementary school. They really don't seem to understand the role of a terp in that setting. (For that matter, none of the staff does either.)

............. You really have to place all your luck on a mainstream setting without terp. Hope it works out well, because there are no easy exits if that fails.
Why would you assume it's luck? It's not. It's a combination of work from our side, from Lotte's side and from people around us...

AMEN! I'm for the whole toolbox approach.

For the most part, I don't need a terp to interact on a one to one basis but I certainly will need a terp for classes as I have trouble following the converation in groups larger than 4 and I do best in classes that don't have a heavy lecture format due to problems with ADD.

I am for the whole toolbox approach too. Not the bare necessities..

The CI does not take away the deafness, they are still born deaf and will die deaf. CIs are a tool that can be very helpful.

Nope, Deaf pp with CI and hearing people will disagree with you. They claimed that CI is work of miracle and restoring deaf to be back in hearing world. :sure:

Isn't it hard to watch our children grow up. My daughter is in 11th grade. One more year of high school. And she knows when and what type of an interpreter she needs.

Nope, Deaf pp with CI and hearing people will disagree with you. They claimed that CI is work of miracle and restoring deaf to be back in hearing world. :sure:

I am deaf and will die deaf too. When I first was activated sure it felt like a miracle. It felt wonderful to have back the sound I had lost throughout the years. As I have gone through some months, I see it as it is a tool. It is a resource to hear. It meets my expectations.

You see that's what happens when people are misinformed. Just today I was speaking to the education liason on an implant center. She said that there was a doctor that would happen children in his office and then send a note to the school to treat the child like he was hearing. The doctor passed away which is sad but at least he is not implanting anymore. That is so wrong. I am not sure who you talk too but I always make sure that people know that CIs can be a very valuable tool is used correctly with the right training. Some people who have CIs might think it is a miracle because of what it has allowed them to do and it is their right to think that but I make sure parents do not think it is miracle because then they stop doing the work they need too.

You see that's what happens when people are misinformed. Just today I was speaking to the education liason on an implant center. She said that there was a doctor that would happen children in his office and then send a note to the school to treat the child like he was hearing. The doctor passed away which is sad but at least he is not implanting anymore. That is so wrong. I am not sure who you talk too but I always make sure that people know that CIs can be a very valuable tool is used correctly with the right training. Some people who have CIs might think it is a miracle because of what it has allowed them to do and it is their right to think that but I make sure parents do not think it is miracle because then they stop doing the work they need too.

:eek3: The doctor told the school to treat them like they can hear like hearing kids??? That is scary! Oh, I cant imagine the struggles those kids got afterwards if the schools stopped giving them resources! Wow!

:eek3: The doctor told the school to treat them like they can hear like hearing kids??? That is scary! Oh, I cant imagine the struggles those kids got afterwards if the schools stopped giving them resources! Wow!

When the education liason was telling me this, it made me so awful, it was bad for both of us because we both have teenagers with implants and we know how much hard work was involved and the services that we fought and still fight for. Our kids are successful because of all the hard work. This is why I am going to do something about here where I am at. I am going to be contacting all the implant centers in my area and giving my time to help educate their parents.

When the education liason was telling me this, it made me so awful, it was bad for both of us because we both have teenagers with implants and we know how much hard work was involved and the services that we fought and still fight for. Our kids are successful because of all the hard work. This is why I am going to do something about here where I am at. I am going to be contacting all the implant centers in my area and giving my time to help educate their parents.

This situation shows proof that there are doctors, audis and experts giving the public this misinformation and perhaps the media got that impression and started calling the CI a cure. Then, the Deaf community sees that on TV and newspapers and hence we have this controversity.

. Then, the Deaf community sees that on TV and newspapers and hence we have this controversity.

False, deaf community are turned off by deaf people w/ CI's "I m better than you" attitudes. Some may contribute to jealous , resentment, or deafhood. But it s more of CI folks turned deaf people off with their arrogant. Also, it is ironythat deaf pp with CI throw/hide their CI whenever they are around deaf people. hmm..

Back