Does CI person need interpreter?

a temper tantrum controls educational programs?

Shel how old is your brother? I hope education has progressed in the years we had speech and language therapy. We can't judge our educational experience with what is happening today. The strategies and knowledge of educators and development of research base educational programs have changed so much. I know more about data now then I did when I started teaching 14+ years ago.

My student with austism had a temper tantrum on Friday over reading orally. I guess that means he should not learn to read since he has a tantrum if I ask him to complete assignments. Might as well put him in life skills. Come on!

Vallee, I agree so much with your post. I have children throwing tempers all the time not because they are in oral program but sometimes because they want to stay outside playing or maybe they do not want to transition into another activity. So myabe it would be better, if I run my class outside all day to avoid tempers well at least we are in southern CA although this winter it has rained way too much.

Bi Bi meaning kids learn ASL and English. Simple as that.

Your values are oral skills first. It is ok. My values are education and knowledge first.

You are assuming things you assume us more oral person value oral before anything else and this is where you are so wrong. What you do not understand is that oral and education can and do go hand in hand.

then maybe it is time to change SLP - my children love speech and language class. They have a ball.

My own daughter who takes speech loves it. She was upset over the fact that she is going one day a week this year. She asked could I get it changed back to 2 days. Now she is upset over the fact that she will be released from speech in the spring. She misses one day a week for 30 minutes in math class. Her teacher uses the educational assistance to review it with her.

Field trips are great, they provide a purpose in education.

My children feel that way for the AVT therapist. They love her. They do not need to see her anymore but they always ask when are going to go see her. I see her a lot and the kids say it is not fair. And see since my kids saw her after school, it was great for everything.

Each kid is different. Some love it and some hate it.

You just admit that each child is different but then you think all deaf kids need to receive their educaiton in ASL, so what is it are they all different when it suits your needs or explanation or what.

This is a high functioning student with great oral skills. He can talk and read, just no one has worked with him. He has temper tanturm when made to do anything except watch tv. He is mainstreamed and 13 years old in 5th grade.

Last year I had a student who was non-verbal austism. We worked on listening skills, not oral skills. He learned sign with me.

The point is my program is individualized for the student.

And that is exactly how it should be. My children hate doing any chores in our house, should I not make them do anything just because they do not want to.

Not twisting your words at all. Just stating what you already have.

BTW, speeaking of "twisting words" please do not state what my "values" are and are not. First, I have never advocated that all deaf children be placed in the mainstream or that they not learn ASl as I have made it very clear that it is the parent's right to make the determination as to what is in thier child's best interests and then to keep an open mind as things may change. Second, education for both of our children was and remains extremely important, however, we were not going to place our deaf daughter into the Deaf schools in our area where the education was not as good as the one she would receive in her local public schools.

Now its time to move on.
Rick

Rick you nailed that is my whole point. I did not want my children going to schools for the deaf or TC programs not because I did not want them around other deaf kids or signing it is because I went into those classes and saw how many grades levels below they were working at and that was not acceptable for my children and being oral was just an added bonsus.

I am not sure if I have ever told the story my son told me in 7th grade. He was fully mainstream half load honors at a middle school that has a TC program. He was the only one mainstreamed fully. He came home one day and said mom you need to go talk to the D/HH teachers. He said he wanted to know why his deaf friend was learning double digit addition in 7th grade that they should be learning about Xs and Ys like he was and also he wanted me to tell the teachers that instead of taking the d/hh students to factories on field trips that they needed to go to visit colleges. This is just the way d/hh students are being educate here in CA.

Plan B was Alser's terms. I know that in our school district, they never pulled my daughter's scores out from the rest of her grade level, so you would never see them as attributed to a deaf student. I suspect that is probably the case for other mainstreamed kids as well.

You are so right on this. Both of my children take all their tests in their classrooms and their scores are just throw in with everybody elses. Although there are accomdations written on their IEP, they do not use them. I just like keeping them there in case they need them. And both kids know what accomdations are written just in case.

As long as mine has a heavy dose of rum in it, that's fine with me!

Come on over to my house, we can have some rum and coke. I pick up some bottles last summer while I was celebrating my 40th Bday but never got around to drinking. What kind would you like pineapple, vanilla, strawberry. Come on out to sunny CA and we will have a blast. All are invited. No bashing allowed.

Yeah, that's wild myth, it's so wild I get dizzy.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but this reminds me of a foreign european language teacher I had in a bilingual program I attended a couple of years, who asked us to read with voice, one by one to him. I discovered that I got away with babling nonsense, as long I used my voice and pretended I was voicing the words(it was interesting to learn to pronounce the foreign words, but just became a bit boring after a while).

So if a deaf student in a TC, bibi or oral program are tired of that focus on speech, just babble and "they" will give up. That was my strategy. I have earlier attended a speech therapist, training to a level where my voice was near perfect. After that, I stopped to care about speech, and let my voice decay to scare away the audists. It became clear to me, that the only thing that matters is sign language, of course that's a personal choice, but I am thankful I got that choice! I allways got the shivers when I think about all the deaf children stuck in oral programs, never getting that choice.

Although you don't agree with me but this is all that I wanted was to give my children a choice. If they want to stop their voices now, it is fine. My conscience is clear because I gave a choice.

*raising hand* I was one of them. I had speech therapy all the way to 12th grade. You would think at this point the therapists would figure that what speech skills I had were the best I can do and just let me use my 30 mins for more educational stuff? :ugh:

For me as a parent, my children's education was more important then pulling them from class, so I had speech written off their IEPs in kindergarten. Just because my children were raised orally did not mean that they spent their time in speech. When they were younger they would see their AVT therapist once a week for an hour.

We in oral educatin do put emphasis on oral skills and we also put a heavy emphasis on education. It can and does go hand in hand. Are you trying to say that teaching in ASL is the only way to educate deaf children? I know that oral education and academic education can go hand in hand just as my children were taught and as I teach my oral deaf students.

Then why the 4th grade reading levels?

Then why the 4th grade reading levels?

You keep saying oral deaf children in the mainstream graduate high school reading at a 4th grade level and we keep asking you for your proof.

Yet you refuse to give us your proof.

How can we make it simple enough for even you to understand?

Put up or shut up!

Let's have a BEEER now!!! Peace!!!

You keep saying oral deaf children in the mainstream graduate high school reading at a 4th grade level and we keep asking you for your proof.

Yet you refuse to give us your proof.

How can we make it simple enough for even you to understand?

Put up or shut up!

Do you remember anything you read?

Vallee, I agree so much with your post. I have children throwing tempers all the time not because they are in oral program but sometimes because they want to stay outside playing or maybe they do not want to transition into another activity. So myabe it would be better, if I run my class outside all day to avoid tempers well at least we are in southern CA although this winter it has rained way too much.

Wow! And you have education in child development?

I think I might have, to some extent, resented my parents if they had attempted to correct my vision, had that been a possibility- and I know that now, looking back, that I don't all that much mind being blind, and that to a great extent, I have experienced things I couldn't have had I been sighted. My family made the right choice to hand me a longer cane, not stronger glasses.

well that's great! I mean some people come to terms with a disability/embrace it and some don't. If you've only known that one thing then u cant really miss it i guess...

Back