Does anyone else feel like their life was ruined by mainstream school

50, or 100. What difference does it make? If there was a point you were trying to make with 50 vs. 100, I totally missed it. Becomes moot, then.

Let's just say it's a disreprency.......you've been a member of forums for awhile.....fill in the blanks ;) Let's just say I'm from Missouri.

Considering residential school

I am so glad to have read this point of view. I am a hearing parent of a Hard of Hearing 8 year-old who has been mainstreamed to this point. Each year, though, the classroom seems to be less and less able to accomodate him and teach him well. I'm thinking about homeschooling, but we are also going to consider the Deaf school. He is such a social kid that I think he'd absolutely love being around other kids like himself. We hesitate to send him, though, because he would be residential, and we'd only see him on weekends. We are a very close family, so we are concerned about the negative effects of his being away from home at such a young age. Does anyone else have input? I would love to hear feedback from anyone who was at a residential program as a young child.

I am so glad to have read this point of view. I am a hearing parent of a Hard of Hearing 8 year-old who has been mainstreamed to this point. Each year, though, the classroom seems to be less and less able to accomodate him and teach him well. I'm thinking about homeschooling, but we are also going to consider the Deaf school. He is such a social kid that I think he'd absolutely love being around other kids like himself. We hesitate to send him, though, because he would be residential, and we'd only see him on weekends. We are a very close family, so we are concerned about the negative effects of his being away from home at such a young age. Does anyone else have input? I would love to hear feedback from anyone who was at a residential program as a young child.

Have you checked into the process you will need to follow in order for him to be accepted?

Have you checked into the process you will need to follow in order for him to be accepted?
Yes, I am very familiar with the process and have a meeting and tour scheduled with the state Deaf school. Thanks for asking!

Yes, I am very familiar with the process and have a meeting and tour scheduled with the state Deaf school. Thanks for asking!

That's great -- I'm a big fan of the school for the deaf my daughter has attended for 5 years and hope you find what you are looking for at yours! Is your child (and your family) already fluent in ASL, is it what your family uses in the home? At 8YO, is language competence required for entrance to the school?

I have never been a member of a dorm. But I have had friends who were. They absolutely love it, the freedom they get with socializing /friends and they have similar home type of setting with the people there. They have certain roles assigned that changes every weeks. They also have a schedule that will make sure kids do their homeworks. I reAlly think you should do a week trial or something like that to see if your son is a good fit for that type of living.

We used ASL when he was very young, although now he usually uses spoken English. We sign when his hearing aids are out, when we need to clarify something he can't hear well, or when we are in noisy places. I was close to fluent many years ago, but now we are all a bit rusty. This school takes kids with various levels of fluency, and has a couple of different classroom settings, I believe. I'll definately ask about fluency requirements, though, thanks!

We used ASL when he was very young, although now he usually uses spoken English. We sign when his hearing aids are out, when we need to clarify something he can't hear well, or when we are in noisy places. I was close to fluent many years ago, but now we are all a bit rusty. This school takes kids with various levels of fluency, and has a couple of different classroom settings, I believe. I'll definately ask about fluency requirements, though, thanks!

I wouldn't worry........it's not that unusual for oral kids to show up at state deaf schools/dhh programs any more.

I didn't dorm it, BUT you could think of it as kinda like going to overnight camp. If a kid is old enough to go to overnight camp, they are old enough to dorm it. It's hard.....and I definitly think that most kids should be a bit older (middle school age) before dorming it....but I think that it can be doable.
Are there any regional dhh programs where you live? That might be a good compromise. Is there any way he could trial at the deaf school, and stay in the dorms?

That's great -- I'm a big fan of the school for the deaf my daughter has attended for 5 years and hope you find what you are looking for at yours! Is your child (and your family) already fluent in ASL, is it what your family uses in the home? At 8YO, is language competence required for entrance to the school?
Is your daughter attending day school, or is she in a dorm? What age did you start her in the deaf school?

I didn't dorm it, BUT you could think of it as kinda like going to overnight camp. If a kid is old enough to go to overnight camp, they are old enough to dorm it. It's hard.....and I definitly think that most kids should be a bit older (middle school age) before dorming it....but I think that it can be doable.
Are there any regional dhh programs where you live? That might be a good compromise. Is there any way he could trial at the deaf school, and stay in the dorms?
Unfortunately, there are no other programs around us. The school is 2 hrs away, which isn't terrible, but is too far for a daily drive. We are military and can't move closer right now. Yes, I think we might consider a trial of a week or a month, or we might homeschool and wait a couple of years. It is hard to let a young child go so far away!

Unfortunately, there are no other programs around us. The school is 2 hrs away, which isn't terrible, but is too far for a daily drive. We are military and can't move closer right now. Yes, I think we might consider a trial of a week or a month, or we might homeschool and wait a couple of years. It is hard to let a young child go so far away!
Ah, man that sucks that you're in an "either or" state. Actually, I wonder............you could contact the school and see if there might be a drop off point, if they have bus service an hour out from the school. You might be surpised. That might be a long haul, but might doable opition. I thought that with "either or" states the bus would go out further. Definitlty trial at the school, and see how he likes it. He might actually really love it. I would think that if your state is an "either or" state,the deaf school is prolly better then average..What state are you in? We might be able to give you info and details and things.......and its beginning to be a bit more common for orally skilled and HOH kids to attend Signing deaf programs.

I was put through every speach theraphy class, special ed class...ect... which took me out of my regular classes so I missed alot of the teachings and my grades dropped miserably. I did however excelled in Arts and Music ( runs in the family ) I took professional piano lessons for 4 years and started writting my own music as well as played and formed a few bands. Art is what saved me, I was too advanced and was sent to a school for the gifted in which I was straight A's. I specialized in B&W photography, freehand drawing and Jewelrymaking. If it wasnt for art school I would have been a drop out, My parents didnt know or have resources available to them and I never knew there was such a thing.. I went to a Private school to begin with but they kicked me out as they didnt provide those resources and said my deafness made the school look bad since my grades were lower than average ( as well as the fights from being taunted ) If only I knew then what I know now.

Yeah, we'll find out what our options are. Maybe there is a commute option.
Our son is very outgoing, and when I asked him if he'd like to be at a school with other kids who are Deaf and HoH, he was so excited!

Ah, man that sucks that you're in an "either or" state. Actually, I wonder............you could contact the school and see if there might be a drop off point, if they have bus service an hour out from the school. You might be surpised. That might be a long haul, but might doable opition. I thought that with "either or" states the bus would go out further. Definitlty trial at the school, and see how he likes it. He might actually really love it. I would think that if your state is an "either or" state,the deaf school is prolly better then average..What state are you in? We might be able to give you info and details and things.......and its beginning to be a bit more common for orally skilled and HOH kids to attend Signing deaf programs.

Yeah, we'll find out what our options are. Maybe there is a commute option.
Our son is very outgoing, and when I asked him if he'd like to be at a school with other kids who are Deaf and HoH, he was so excited!

YEAH!!!!!! You know, he IS old enough, and he would see you on weekends and eveything!!!! It's hard to send him to live at school, but you could go and visit him a LOT, and do Skype and things like that. I think with technology and it not being TOO far away, it's doable!
He sounds like he'd be up for it.......wonder if you could trial in the dorms...this would be an AMAZING experiance for him!!!!!!

One thing that's cool and interesting is that with today's technology, kids no longer have to be "so far away from home" like before. The internet, VP, cell phones, Skype, etc. all have made it possible for parents and children to stay in touch daily. I was mainstreamed so I lived at home, but all this would have really come in handy when I went off to college. (Which was way before all this cool stuff appeared! :) )

I am HOH and was mainstreamed my whole life. I am no longer in school but still in the "real" world I feel like I'm stuck between two worlds. All my family and peers have always been hear until college when I started getting more into the deaf community but I've experience so much negativity from deaf people for not being "Deaf enough". Although school was hard, I'm struggling now more than ever :-/

I remember I was mainstreamed part-time in elementary and I hated it so much b/c I couldnt understand the teachers and hearin students were ahead of me. I was behind. That's all I remember. I know I cried...

In junior high, things were very bad. There was only one deaf program teacher and I made her cry several times. Me and my buddy were talkin about that on facebook several months ago. One day, this fuckin bitch who was in charge of the deaf program came in the classroom. I gave the bitch the finger and was suspended for five days. She even called my parents. She ruled us...she died last yr and on my facebook I said I wasnt sorry to hear her death. I absolutely fuckin hated that bitch...should seen the look on her face when she saw my middle finger...I would do it again all over...her face was purple. :lol: her jaw dropped.. :lol: ...her eyes were big :lol: PRICELESS!!!

In highschool, things were even worst...failed all of my classes beside gym..the teachers werent patient with me..one day, female teacher unplugged my computer in very rude manner and students burst out laughin...it was embarassin. I remember one teacher got fed up with me and never wore the microphone again. I didnt even got a D..all F's..no one cared about my report cards... I told this teacher I was quittin school as soon as I turn 18 and she laughed at me. She enjoyed seein me suffer for no damn reason. Audism is downright evil..I know some of you know Im dealin with very bad audism. I just know that. After I quit school for good is the best decision I've ever made..I was happier, didnt have panic attacks, no more anxiety.. it was greatest feelin in the world. I got over it very quick. The only regret I have after I dropped out of school is I left my deaf friends..I never looked back b/c I was desperately wanted out of there.. I learned this summer, my junior high school was demolished and that was a good feelin..dont have to ever see that school again...my highschool was already demolished 3 or 4 yrs ago. It seems like audists doesnt want us to be happy...can someone tell us why we were forced mainstream? that would be great! When I got my GED, only one person was excited for me.. :aw:

My schools was 40-50 miles away and on Fridays were the hardest days to wake up and dress for school...I'd wake up at 5am everyday...so fuckin wrong...maybe it's the reason why Im not married and have no kids..very understandable I guess.

My last yr in highschool, I had 5 study hall classes..and what did I do? I slept and slept..one day I had a wet dream.. :lol: should have seen all the looks on virgin chicks faces.. I'll never forget that. :) They blushed and stared at each others in disbelief..it was funny...sorry girls...even the male teacher was laughin with the guys.

The avatar reminds me of me when I gave the bitch the finger..we all know she deserved it. In my avatar is Mike Ditka, former Bears coach gave fans the finger. :lol:

Last edited:
I remember I was mainstreamed part-time in elementary and I hated it so much b/c I couldnt understand the teachers and hearin students were ahead of me. I was behind. That's all I remember. I know I cried...

In junior high, things were very bad. There was only one deaf program teacher and I made her cry several times. Me and my buddy were talkin about that on facebook several months ago. One day, this fuckin bitch who was in charge of the deaf program came in the classroom. I gave the bitch the finger and was suspended for five days. She even called my parents. She ruled us...she died last yr and on my facebook I said I wasnt sorry to hear her death. I absolutely fuckin hated that bitch...should seen the look on her face when she saw my middle finger...I would do it again all over...her face was purple. :lol: her jaw dropped.. :lol: ...her eyes were big :lol: PRICELESS!!!

In highschool, things were even worst...failed all of my classes beside gym..the teachers werent patient with me..one day, female teacher unplugged my computer in very rude manner and students burst out laughin...it was embarassin. I remember one teacher got fed up with me and never wore the microphone again. I didnt even got a D..all F's..no one cared about my report cards... I told this teacher I was quittin school as soon as I turn 18 and she laughed at me. She enjoyed seein me suffer for no damn reason. Audism is downright evil..I know some of you know Im dealin with very bad audism. I just know that. After I quit school for good is the best decision I've ever made..I was happier, didnt have panic attacks, no more anxiety.. it was greatest feelin in the world. I got over it very quick. The only regret I have after I dropped out of school is I left my deaf friends..I never looked back b/c I was desperately wanted out of there.. I learned this summer, my junior high school was demolished and that was a good feelin..dont have to ever see that school again...my highschool was already demolished 3 or 4 yrs ago. It seems like audists doesnt want us to be happy...can someone tell us why we were forced mainstream? that would be great! When I got my GED, only one person was excited for me.. :aw:

My schools was 40-50 miles away and on Fridays were the hardest days to wake up and dress for school...I'd wake up at 5am everyday...so fuckin wrong...maybe it's the reason why Im not married and have no kids..very understandable I guess.

My last yr in highschool, I had 5 study hall classes..and what did I do? I slept and slept..one day I had a wet dream.. :lol: should have seen all the looks on virgin chicks faces.. I'll never forget that. :) They blushed and stared at each others in disbelief..it was funny...sorry girls...even the male teacher was laughin with the guys.

The avatar reminds me of me when I gave the bitch the finger..we all know she deserved it. In my avatar is Mike Ditka, former Bears coach gave fans the finger. :lol:

Whoa, DeafTim. That was harsh. Even if you don't like the teacher, you should learn how to not get in trouble with her. She is a teacher there for a reason to give education, that was her job. I understand what you are saying but still you needed to straighten up your acts or behavior because you were maybe out of line when you don't say the right thing to her.

I don't like oral-only method back then but I don't go through the behavior like you do just to get in trouble with teachers. I had tried to explain to the principal about wanting to learning to sign ASL and get some ASL interpreters for me and my deaf classmates. I was bitter myself but I only protest against oral-only, not the teachers nor the principal. I was trying to get across to them about that but they won't listen to me about why I could not handle oral-only in hearing schools. :(

No wonder no body could not stand you if you are out of control with your behavior if you are bitter or despised someone all because of your suffering. Of course we, d/Deafies and HOH had gone suffering in the mainstream schools. And the hearing society too. You are not alone.

You have to be polite to people, but bear with it. It is easy to get upset but you need think twice before you made another mistake again.

What about relationship that you are having problem with when you could not find the right mate? If you have anger management, then you have a problem with that. Get some help with your anger. That way you would get along much better than being bitter. Sorry that you are having problem with your anger. :(

Back