Does anyone else feel like their life was ruined by mainstream school

Deaf children do travel and get to perform at venues. One is Center Stage.

U never know what kind of different opportunities you would have gotten at a Deaf school.

You don't understand... Not in south Texas in 1973-1974. It's wonderful that today's kids have the chance to travel and perform today. I believe that I was the first prelingually, profoundly deaf musician in Texas when I enrolled in the music program in 1977, 35 years ago. Is there a record of an earlier musician in similar straits in Texas or the US? THAT is what I'm talking about. It felt pretty lonely in the early days...

Im curious, how was you educated? Did you attend high-school? All-deaf school? I dont know much about your education.

Yes Of Course I misreading, But, well... mainstream . both hearing and deaf few! I experience! I am many times attending to high school :)

Also I am not afraid. I know experience go to School I notice people few rare to education. It is very not much on deaf community!

I think so separate to catholic school ASL but conflict public school is disagree . public School not allow ASL! to argue to my community no sense, I confused.I transfer to school :) I want to prefer to ASL. I want to easy to better normal. sigh. It is complication! educations poor is very quality I see find out already oral and SEE crappy., I found it I successfully High School High Education I prefer ASL is very great Catholic school mainstream accept allow ASL!!

You don't understand... Not in south Texas in 1973-1974. It's wonderful that today's kids have the chance to travel and perform today. I believe that I was the first prelingually, profoundly deaf musician in Texas when I enrolled in the music program in 1977, 35 years ago. Is there a record of an earlier musician in similar straits in Texas or the US? THAT is what I'm talking about. It felt pretty lonely in the early days...

Oh I see...thanks for explaining. That helps me understand your point of view better. :)

deafdrummer, maybe not.....I mean maybe if you'd gone to CID or one of the strong oral schools....and actually a lot of the deaf schools were transistioning from being oral to adding sign back then right?
But yeah...........today's Deaf Schools are VERY different from the ones of 35 years ago. Actually wait......One of the things that irrirtates the fuck out of me is the insistution that kids who attend specialized schools for the deaf or the blind don't have the same experiances that a hearing or sighted kid would. It's not cutting them off from mainstream society/mainstream experiances....they do have the same experiances as kids at hearing/sighted schools do......It's just that things there are specificly designed for dhh or blind/low vision kids.
Even the mild multihandicapped (meaning MR) kids (at deaf schools or blind schools) often experience the same things that "just" dhh or just blind/low vision kids do.

Deaf children do travel and get to perform at venues. One is Center Stage.

U never know what kind of different opportunities you would have gotten at a Deaf school. Maybe you dont like Deaf schools because of the typical stereotyping general society has on Deaf schools. We have several deaf students who were able to surpass their hearing counterparts on statewide assessements. Just saying.

Oh...I know many Deaf students who go to Deaf schools who speak very well too. So, speaking has nothing to do with whether one is mainstreamed or not.
On the other hand shel, I think your post is a good one for any parents of dhh kids who might be lurking. I think a lot of Deaf Schools have gotten a LOT better since the old days.

Actually, that's the reason they thought that mainstreaming was going to be THE magic bullet. There were low expectations at deaf schools back then, and there was a certain amount of warehousing ( like for completely oral failures or kids misdx as MR) When dhh kids transferred to the mainstream, there were high expectations...like "OMG this kid is SO smart!" Unfortunatly since then, dhh (and blind/low vision and other low incidence but still can learn very well on a par with hearing/sighted/whatever kids) have been lumped in with special ed in the mainstream. Most mainstream sped departments do not have a lot of experience with low incidence kids. So as a result, we didn't respond well to their teaching methods. We were called lazy, and told we weren't going to college or we weren't ever going to achieve ....trust me, I know it happened to me. (and I was the type of kid who ended up taking Honors Latin and French in high school and taught myself to read at four)

deafdrummer, maybe not.....I mean maybe if you'd gone to CID or one of the strong oral schools....and actually a lot of the deaf schools were transistioning from being oral to adding sign back then right?

Not Sunshine Cottage... In fact, I was threatened with the loss of my hands if I were caught signing again with a classmate.

I had whizzed through the deaf program, a 4-year program in a little over a year and was mainstreamed in the middle of the fall semester in '74.

Not Sunshine Cottage... In fact, I was threatened with the loss of my hands if I were caught signing again with a classmate.

I had whizzed through the deaf program, a 4-year program in a little over a year and was mainstreamed in the middle of the fall semester in '74.

Sunshine Cottage is still very oral *vomit* So you were one of those kids who attended a deaf school/program and then mainstreamed from there? That's really how mainstreaming should work....Again, you mainstreamed after having a strong base with deaf ed.......that's very different from being mainstreamed with little to no exposure to dhh peers.

Sunshine Cottage is still very oral *vomit* So you were one of those kids who attended a deaf school/program and then mainstreamed from there? That's really how mainstreaming should work....Again, you mainstreamed after having a strong base with deaf ed.......that's very different from being mainstreamed with little to no exposure to dhh peers.

Correct. I was mainstreamed from there. During the time I was there, one of my classmate's family took good care of me during my parents' stormy divorce. Sometimes, I stayed with Dad, sometimes with Mom, and sometimes with Mama Rose, as I called my caretaker. She was married with five children, the youngest one being my classmate. When I was mainstreamed, I had a speech therapist (two of them) from 2nd through 4th grade. I can still remember the first speech therapist putting my hand against her throat as she said the word, "prisoner," getting me to hear the "z" sound that was there.

Back