Do you think family members should learn ASL if you're deaf?

Yes and no, because nobody should be forced to do things against their will.

but because it shows that communication with you - a Deafie, is important to hearies and they'd do anything to try and make it as easy as possible for both of you, also shows that hearies find Deaf ways interesting -
it is deeply appreciated if a hearing family member go out if his/her way to learn ASL.
but you can't force it. not IMHO.

Last but not least, certainly for the Deaf people, if a hearing family member learns to sign this can be a huge way of showing his or her acceptance for the deafness and Deaf Culture.
perhaps this is even as important if not more?? the factor of wanting the family go ASL as an ease of communication...?

that's why this is such a hot topic...

Fuzzy

My opinion exactly :) I think if you have an immediate family member who is deaf than allowances should be made to learn at least some sign language.

Am I wrong though? Deaf people rarely experience isolation from their family?
Rarely the "I'll tell you later" and never following up happen?
Rarely have the issue of communicating their thoughts fully with their family? By fully I mean saying anything they want without issues, instead of repeating whatever they want to say many times.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Deaf people who have immediate family or their own family who refuse to learn ASL or any other sign language (different countries). We were forced to speak orally which is kind of a one way street instead of two way street. Yes, we have to ask for repeats until we get to understand what they said. Like at the dinner table or being in the living room, it is kind of hard to understand them and we become isolated.

If they can learn how to sign halfway, that would be a big help with communication situation. So we would be able to understand when they sign and we can all be happy to sign over conversation. Lots of time we can use paper and pen to communicate, it take time to write down on papers.

I believe Botti is right that you are hearing because how else can you know about deaf and hard of hearing when coming with communication without signing ASL. I have to put up with my family who never learn to sign ASL at all. My sister can fingerspell, not really good but vaguely. My son is the only one I taught him to sign ASL and we communicate with no problem with signing.

As far as you think that we don't have communication issues with family members as far as distance families. I guess distance family never thought they need to learn to sign when they are having someone who is Deaf coming to visit. I don't know. If they can use paper and pen to communicate with someone who come for to visit distance families. Yes, it is easy to be isolated if no hearing family members don't sign at all or try to communicate. :(

not allowed to use "they" for an individual of whom you don't know the sex?

Sometimes, i think that aside from being very rigid in your thinking, that you may be far less knowledgable than you let yourself believe .

ouch!

Am I wrong though? Deaf people rarely experience isolation from their family?
Rarely the "I'll tell you later" and never following up happen?
Rarely have the issue of communicating their thoughts fully with their family? By fully I mean saying anything they want without issues, instead of repeating whatever they want to say many times.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

From seeing how many 'likes' you have so far I would say you're wrong about a lot stuff you said here so far.

Back