Do you think family members should learn ASL if you're deaf?

That we needn't be idle. I'm surprised you're challenging this. Plenty of evidence right here on this board.

Board is not evidence.

Just because people like to complain way more than praise, doesn't make it credible statistic.

Fuzzy

Board is not evidence.

Just because people like to complain way more than praise, doesn't make it credible statistic.

Fuzzy

So all the stories that have been told by our fellow members about their sense of isolation when their hearing aids break, feeling that they've been missing something their entire lives not truthful?

:shock: Thats quite bold.

So all the stories that have been told by our fellow members about their sense of isolation when their hearing aids break, feeling that they've been missing something their entire lives not truthful?

She is right that it is anecdotal evidence. If you want to cite studies, you should have actual references to back it up.

No researcher would accept that.

She is right that it is anecdotal evidence. If you want to cite studies, you should have actual references to back it up.

No researcher would accept that.

I did not cite any studies. I just assumed that it was well known. Doesn't matter, I created another thread showing just that.

I agree with you Reba. Older generation, like who's now in their 60-ties, 70-ties they have a whole lotta emotional, cultural and other baggage that prevented them from learning ASL then, so I seriously doubt they'll change they way of thinking today, although one never know.

I know where we were young, when my brother was young, my parents simply were so incredibly out of place in terms of Deaf Culture, signing,
anything deaf that it was simply unthinkable to try make them sign.
It was like trying to make a very conservative, traditional Christian timid people dress and behave like a pair of hard core Goths.

Maybe, if they were exposed to other parents who signed and other children who signed that would be different, but they weren't.

Fuzzy

I am 67 yo and I was learning ASL when I was in late 20's in Berkeley, Calf. and I was jut getting the hang of it and moved back East with my child . I had no one to use ASL with in my family and it really was no point in
taking more classes , if I had people to use it with I would kept up with learning more. I still have no one to use ASL with , it just never really fix into my life with my family or friends . If I had stayed in Berkeley I would been able to use ASL a lot more .

These are truthful.
But these are not evidence or statistic to what we are discussing.

You do not know how many are happy comparing to those who are unhappy because they simply may have not posted about it.

People rarely post "I am so happy today I may go bonkers"
but almost everyone will post "I feel like I am going crazy today".

One would think the world consist of mostly unhappy people - which may or may not be true.
we do not know, because happy people do not share
as often as unhappy people.

Do you get the difference?

Fuzzy

I am 67 yo and I was learning ASL when I was in late 20's in Berkeley, Calf. and I was jut getting the hang of it and moved back East with my child . I had no one to use ASL with in my family and it really was no point in
taking more classes , if I had people to use it with I would kept up with learning more. I still have no one to use ASL with , it just never really fix into my life with my family or friends . If I had stayed in Berkeley I would been able to use ASL a lot more .

Are you a hearing parent?

Fuzzy

They should do whatever they feel is right to do, Tousi.
With all due respect, it's not your business, or mine, what they choose to do.
They may choose to sign, or they may choose to speak and point to the baby thus teaching him/her how to lipread and 'read' hearing people body language.

both of the latter, may I point out, is quite invaluable to the child who later on is forced to go out there and interact with hearing children, and hearing adults.

Either way, what matters they WILL communicate, somehow,
and the proof is right out there - plenty of non-signing parents with born deaf kids who grew up into adults while communicate quite well.

Fuzzy

Not in the case with my deaf brother and my parents. I was the interpreter for all 3 of them growing up despite not knowing ASL. Now, I refuse to be the terp because my parents should have learned ASL for my brother. Also, when family gets together and chats away, my brother and I are completely left out. We don't know what stories are being shared and all that. That, in my book, is not a definition of good communication.

Not in the case with my deaf brother and my parents. I was the interpreter for all 3 of them growing up despite not knowing ASL. Now, I refuse to be the terp because my parents should have learned ASL for my brother. Also, when family gets together and chats away, my brother and I are completely left out. We don't know what stories are being shared and all that. That, in my book, is not a definition of good communication.
So often the children end up interpreting, and that's a burden none of them should be stuck with. I've learned from many CODA how that affected their lives and the family dynamics. Your situation was reversed (deaf child of hearing adults) but the roles are similar.

Sorry, I got confused, I don't know why, maybe mostly b/c you wrote you were learning to sign and mainly b/c of being an interpreter.

No need to be abrasive on your part. remember, not everyone knows everyone here.

Fuzzy

I think they should at least try. I have 2 sisters and my mom I talk to everyday and my mom and oldest sister want to learn for me but my younger sister just wants to text or write notes which I'm fine with as well. My cousin aunts and uncles know my situation but it's to each it's own I guess. Asl is like learning any other language some people just can't learn other languages. I'm HOH and list my hearing at 23-24 years old from a brain injury so I'm just now learning big in 2 says I no 345 words and numbers 1-900 and enough sentences to get by for now. I just pick up on things quickly.

I think they should at least try.

I love it! (where is the heart emoticon when you need one ! )

yeah, I think this is the most reasonable idea so far.
I like it. not "yeah, they do!!" or "no, they don't!!" - but something mid-way.
a compromise .
very, very wise and non- antagonizing approach.
how smart you are, Aweet Princess ! :)

Asl is like learning any other language some people just can't learn other languages.

That's exactly what I was trying to relay before- not everyone has a knack for language learning, just like some just can't get math or couldn't write
an essay to save their life.

again, -very well said! :ty:

Fuzzy

Thanks for liking my view on it. I have an all hearing family except for 2 cousins on my dad's side born deaf. On my mom side I take it either they will learn or we will just be texting while sitting next to each other lol.

Sign language is just like any other. If you stop using it or don't use it enough it's easily forgotten. So family you don't see often may forget by the time they can use it.

Texting is certainly a big help to communication but there are some drawbacks.

How do deaf children and hearing family members text before the child knows how to read and write?

Sadly, some of the same older adults who "can't learn another language" are the same ones who "can't text or use a computer." :(

I just went to Nebraska over the weekend to see some family. The last time I saw the before last weekend, they promised they would learn some ASL. Well when I got there I found that only one of them did. I was so P/O. Any thoughts?:deaf:

I can understand you're hurt by a broken promise. Maybe, some others in your family will learn some later on, if not then they don't know what they are missing. My sister taught us when she came to live with us and after everyone move out and started their life, I continued to use ASL. To me it was a gift she gave me, and in my first job as a waitress I was able to talk to my customers. I have also used it when traveling and helped people communicate.

That is true. I do think for children close family members need to no Asl. I think for people who have sudden hearing lost and from af 14-30 we mostly text anyway and tend to be closer with family that is in that age group. And I think classes are more affordable is it is for a child and family VS an adult.

I know what do you mean.
but see, this not because they don't know ASL. this is because they do not make an effort to communicate with you guys whatsoever.

See. I have this friend since childhood who is hearing but unlike my other friends she always make sure I am included at the gatherings. how does she do that?
as soon as I come, she turns the CC on, she talk directly to me and she explains what other people say about. this way I know what's going on.
she keep rooms where we sit well lit.
she also remind pple to face me when they talk, talk louder and do not cover their mouth.
I love her.
so, you see, it's not knowing the ASL it's wanting to be heard.

That's not to say ASL make it easier- it does. But your family Shel -just does not even bother :(
I am so sorry.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy -

News flash: Shel's story is too common. So yeah, for more effective communication, most, if not all, of the nuclear family should know sign language. It cannot get any more simple than that.

Back