Do you think family members should learn ASL if you're deaf?

Fuzzy -

News flash: Shel's story is too common. So yeah, for more effective communication, most, if not all, of the nuclear family should know sign language. It cannot get any more simple than that.

The OP is talking about people they see once in a blue moon . Long distance family members should not be expected to know ASL ,. It made no sense to learn a language you'll only use once in a blue moon.

The OP is talking about people they see once in a blue moon . Long distance family members should not be expected to know ASL ,. It made no sense to learn a language you'll only use once in a blue moon.

I suggest you to read instead of trying to be paternalistic. And that goes for all the posts you direct towards me.

Fuzzy -

News flash: Shel's story is too common. So yeah, for more effective communication, most, if not all, of the nuclear family should know sign language. It cannot get any more simple than that.

It`sad that you are so blinded by your hurt
that you don`t see anything else but your own POV.

Fuzzy

It`sad that you are so blinded by your hurt
that you don`t see anything else but your own POV.

Fuzzy

Am I wrong though? Deaf people rarely experience isolation from their family?
Rarely the "I'll tell you later" and never following up happen?
Rarely have the issue of communicating their thoughts fully with their family? By fully I mean saying anything they want without issues, instead of repeating whatever they want to say many times.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Various things they have said here.

One being that they make money off of ASL skills.

And the fact they they didn't correct my speculation.

THEY? I thought Audiofuzzy was asking about an individual using the screen name of a l i v e.

THEY? I thought Audiofuzzy was asking about an individual using the screen name of a l i v e.

Not allowed to use "they" for an individual of whom you don't know the sex?

Sometimes, I think that aside from being very rigid in your thinking, that you may be far less knowledgable than you let yourself believe .

Am I wrong though? Deaf people rarely experience isolation from their family?
Rarely the "I'll tell you later" and never following up happen?
Rarely have the issue of communicating their thoughts fully with their family? By fully I mean saying anything they want without issues, instead of repeating whatever they want to say many times.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The discussion is not about me. It is about family members and signing. I find it interesting that nobody answered my questions above though.

The discussion is not about me. It is about family members and signing. I find it interesting that nobody answered my questions above though.

Could be you need to start your own thread.

This one is about distant relatives.

Could be you need to start your own thread.

This one is about distant relatives.

Oh ok. I believe another poster talked about their immediate family and I replied to that.

Do we need to start another thread every time a discussion evolves?

Oh ok. I believe another poster talked about their immediate family and I replied to that.

Do we need to start another thread every time a discussion evolves?

OP told us that the topic was not immediate family.

So in the case of specification by the OP , yes.

That you respect the wishes of the OP?

They are supposed to be.

Usually mods just close them if the OP protests.

Makes sense. Better send a memo out to everyone. Yourself included for talking about me and to me, and shel90...

in my case I went to a unit when got over health issues,we took one person who would be main signer,it was intense,lip reading basic signing and how use different things that on market at the time...so much easier now with tx Skype etc I can make phone calls...after the intense NHS rehab it was up to me so I spent time with deaf people have full days in their houses,i learnt a lot, where I use to waffle deaf don't..i spent half my life hearing so when writing and thinking that not changed unless in company of deaf then precise to point.
why don't you ask one member of family have day with you take them to a deaf advent..accept that can be hard for hearing members of family as is for you

When I born as a profoundly deaf, parents took sign language class on behalf of me. Guess I have the parents that loves me deeply than everything in the world. I am not say that I am luckier one anyway

Back