Votes: 21 44.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Don´t know

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Yes, that's correct. No one will encourage them to do it because it's their choice to make a desicion, NOT A DOCTOR OR NURSE OR ANY PHYSICIAN. It's a choice has made by a person her/himself. A patient should understand the requirement and agreement with doctors. Like I said it before, suicide assistance is for hospital purposes only... Let me tell you about how is the difference in between commit suicide and assistance suicide.

Death with Dignity Act had happened on October 27, 1997 and November 1994. I'm sure you guys know about that... Let's start with commit suicide...

This is much safer and simple than the commit suicide. Before my home-state had the law, believe it or not, there were still had a rate of commit suicide. So, after the law had passed, the assisted suicide do not effect on the rate of commit suicide, because of the popularity had been increased today by immegaties (sp?), birth rate, teen suicide rate (due to religious intolerance, bullies, etc etc), fear of dealing with various and personal problems (see the above on the list of commit suicide), and much more.

Cearly, both of assisted suicide and commit suicide are not same, like Liebling said, you cannot compare both of them because they are totally different stories.

EDIT: Again, it's about a doctor's job, not outside of any hospital.

You're mixing apples and oranges, Karissa.

Physician assisted suicide is NOT the same thing as the mentally ill person who wants to end their life. In fact, a person requesting PAS must be mentally competent to do so. If there is depression or some other mental illness present, the person's request will be denied.

Also, the person requesting PAS does NOT have to be in the hospital to do so. Alot of the time, the terminally is is followed by hospice. This care can be given in the home. A nurse is assigned to the patient and that nurse follows the patient until his or her death. I can't cite actual figures, but there have been people who have died at home.

Physician assisted suicide is NOT the same thing as the mentally ill person who wants to end their life. In fact, a person requesting PAS must be mentally competent to do so. If there is depression or some other mental illness present, the person's request will be denied.

Whoa whoa I never said about mentally ill persons for assisted suicide ^_^ and yes, you are right but I refer to the commit suicide if it's about depression because doctors will not help, of course. Like you said, a kind of mental illness person has which will be denied, I'm aware of that. That's what I tried to say... My explanation may be suck but I know what you mean. Thanks for clarity. :)

Whoa whoa I never said about mentally ill persons for assisted suicide ^_^ and yes, you are right but I refer to the commit suicide if it's about depression because doctors will not help, of course. Like you said, a kind of mental illness person has which will be denied, I'm aware of that. That's what I tried to say... My explanation may be suck but I know what you mean. Thanks for clarity. :)

Kindly keep the discussion of suicide out of this. It doesn't have anything to do with PAS.

:ty: I knew there were other guidelines that must be adhered to before the prescription is dispensed.

You're welcome. Those safeguards are what keeps assisted suicide from becoming a slippery slope, or from being abused.

Kindly keep the discussion of suicide out of this. It doesn't have anything to do with PAS.

Excatly; that's why I tried to point out that they are not the same...

I already kept to say it's for hopsital purposes only a several times while the other subject is not.

Thanks for friendly reminder ;)

Also, the person requesting PAS does NOT have to be in the hospital to do so. Alot of the time, the terminally is is followed by hospice. This care can be given in the home. A nurse is assigned to the patient and that nurse follows the patient until his or her death. I can't cite actual figures, but there have been people who have died at home.

I can give you an example: my brother was under hospice care at home at the time of his death. He was also on very high doses of morphine. We were told by hospice to increase his morphine dosage to whatever was necessary to eliminate his pain.

I can give you an example: my brother was under hospice care at home at the time of his death. He was also on very high doses of morphine. We were told by hospice to increase his morphine dosage to whatever was necessary to eliminate his pain.

I'm sorry for your loss. :hug:
I wonder, did he have a kind of illness?
You can PM me if you prefer to not post it here.

Exactly. Also, when I was ill three years ago, I was seen by nurses from the Visiting Nurses Association upon discharge from the hospital. Where I live, they are merged with hospice. The same nurses that took care of me also took care of the dying. Increasingly, more and more terminally ill people are opting to die at home rather than in a hospital.

Exactly. Also, when I was ill three years ago, I was seen by nurses from the Visiting Nurses Association upon discharge from the hospital. Where I live, they are merged with hospice. The same nurses that took care of me also took care of the dying. Increasingly, more and more terminally ill people are opting to die at home rather than in a hospital.

Yes, they are, thanks to hospice workers. I really and truly admire the hospice nurses and social workers. They are special people indeed to deal with all that pain and death, and the raw emotions of family members, and then get up to do it day after day. They are truly angels on this earth.

Yes, they are, thanks to hospice workers. I really and truly admire the hospice nurses and social workers. They are special people indeed to deal with all that pain and death, and the raw emotions of family members, and then get up to do it day after day. They are truly angels on this earth.

Yeah. :)

I'm sorry about your brother, though. :hug:

Oh, I don't mind. It isn't a secret. He had liver cancer.

Thank you for your condolences.

Your welcome.

Ah, yes. I can understand why he was in a home, under a hospice care, because of an illegal suicide assistance is anywhere else in USA (except Oregon). It really sucks to have no help from any physician. I just don't like a "well, deal with it as a natural" attitude when someone is in a pain... I can choice to not have an suicide assistance, yes, I just don't want to. Hello, it's my desicion. So, I don't see why not any one should have some cooperative and sympathy for their needs and have a help from any physician/doctor...

EDIT:

Yep, they are. ;)

Your welcome.

Ah, yes. I can understand why he was in a home, under a hospice care, because of an illegal suicide assistance is anywhere else in USA (except Oregon). It really sucks to have no help from any physician. I just don't like a "well, deal with it as a natural" attitude when someone is in a pain... I can choice to not have an suicide assistance, yes, I just don't want to. Hello, it's my desicion. So, I don't see why not any one should have some cooperative and sympathy for their needs and have a help from any physician/doctor...

EDIT:

Yep, they are. ;)

Exactly. It is a choice that we should all be able to make for ourselves.

Exactly. It is a choice that we should all be able to make for ourselves.

Here's an interesting question... Are the same provisions avalaible to children?

I know that hospice care is extended to children, but what about PAS?

Here's an interesting question... Are the same provisions avalaible to children?

I know that hospice care is extended to children, but what about PAS?

No. PAS as written in the Oregon statute only provides for consenting, competent adults. To have even a parent make that decision would be stepping over the line into euthanasia.

However, doctors are usually more than willing to provide palliative care for critically ill children. That is not always the case with adults.

No. PAS as written in the Oregon statute only provides for consenting, competent adults. To have even a parent make that decision would be stepping over the line into euthanasia.

However, doctors are usually more than willing to provide palliative care for critically ill children. That is not always the case with adults.

That's what I thought.

I also have seen that with children, but it wasn't always the case. I can remember when I was young, just getting the doctors to provide adequate post-op pain relief was a fight. In fact, I was routinely under medicated. I can't imagine what it would have been like had I been terminally ill as a youngster in the 70s.

We definitely have come a long way. At least, for palliative care for children. But, as you already noted, palliative care for adults has a ways to go yet.

That's what I thought.

I also have seen that with children, but it wasn't always the case. I can remember when I was young, just getting the doctors to provide adequate post-op pain relief was a fight. In fact, I was routinely under medicated. I can't imagine what it would have been like had I been terminally ill as a youngster in the 70s.

We definitely have come a long way. At least, for palliative care for children. But, as you already noted, palliative care for adults has a ways to go yet.

No doubt about that, my friend, no doubt about that!

Back