• No

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Don´t know

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Suicide is killing oneself.

Homicide is killing another person, whether it is by request or not.

Calling a homicide an "assisted suicide" doesn't change the facts of the case.

So if I am slowly dying over a long period of time and the suffering has me reduced to being unable to bear living, is it right for me to continue the suffering until finally, I am dead? I do not want to live my last days suffering like that and having my family members suffer along with it leaving them with the horrible memories.

Suicide is killing oneself.

Homicide is killing another person, whether it is by request or not.

Calling a homicide an "assisted suicide" doesn't change the facts of the case.

And that is why the physician is limited to merely prescribing medications. The patient must, under PAS regulation, take the medications by their own hand. And why, it is also called an assisted suicide, and not murder or euthanasia.

I voted yes.

Remember the movie "It's My Party"?

And Jillio, you are correct, it goes on all day every day in the acute care setting.

And that is why the physician is limited to merely prescribing medications. The patient must, under PAS regulation, take the medications by their own hand. And why, it is also called an assisted suicide, and not murder or euthanasia.

:gpost:

It's not a against the law to commit suicide. It is against the law to commit murder, but there's a big difference here.

:gpost:

It's not a against the law to commit suicide. It is against the law to commit murder, but there's a big difference here.

You know its against the law to attempt suicide in some countries. You get arrested if you cant succeed and court evaluates your situation and usually sends you to a doctor instead of prison.

Just as a side information..

-

Last edited:
To me, " assisted suicide " is like encouragin' a patient to take away his/her life. That's a commit murder to me. You are encouragin' it to let a patient to end his/her life by offerin' this. And, I disagree this kind of idea when offerin' to less patient's sufferin' or pain.

I think it's best to leave a patient to make her/his own decision without anyone's suggestion or offer to commit suicide his/her life. I mean, WITHOUT encourage. It's not your place to make a decision when the pain or sufferin' is involved. It's not your place to make a decision when to die in peace.

You know its against the law to commit suicide in some countries. You get arrested if you cant succeed and court evaluates your situation and usually sends you to a doctor instead of prison.

-

I'm not worried about what happens in other countries.

To me, " assisted suicide " is like encouragin' a patient to take away his/her life. That's a commit murder to me. You are encouragin' it to let a patient to end his/her life by offerin' this. And, I disagree this kind of idea when offerin' to less patient's sufferin' or pain.

I think it's best to leave a patient to make her/his own decision without anyone's suggestion or offer to commit suicide his/her life. I mean, WITHOUT encourage. It's not your place to make a decision when the pain or sufferin' is involved. It's not your place to make a decision when to die in peace.

Doctors don't encourage it. The patient has to request that medication be given. There are guidelines that are followed. In addition to making the request for medication, the patient must be terminally ill and have less than six mos to live. I'm sure other guidelines are in place that I'm not aware of.

You know its against the law to commit suicide in some countries. You get arrested if you cant succeed and court evaluates your situation and usually sends you to a doctor instead of prison.

-

It's against the law to ATTEMPT suicide. Committing it implies success, and you can't arrest a corpse.

I'm not worried about what happens in other countries.

I knew you wouldnt care. Thats why its called side note. I always act as other people might want to know new things too , like I do. If they dont, they can always ignore it. Otherwise its really difficult for me to state "I write this message for this, and this people and I exclude this and that " at the end of every post.

-

It's against the law to ATTEMPT suicide. Committing it implies success, and you can't arrest a corpse.

Ok.. I will edit it if I used the wrong word there..

Thanks

P.s: I think it more as "one wants to commit suicide" . Because we usually dont say "I want to attempt suicide" . So he commits himself to it, but then fails . Then you would say he attempted it, right? I see my mistake.
-

I knew you wouldnt care. Thats why its called side note. I always act as other people might want to know new things too , like I do. If they dont, they can always ignore it. Otherwise its really difficult for me to state "I write this message for this, and this people and I exclude this and that " at the end of every post.

-

It's irrelevant. That's why I said I didn't care what happens in other countries. Why matters to me most is what happens in this country. That's what we should be concerned about.

This discussion isn't helping me any......

As Royale pointed out--the insurance. Suppose one has a life insurance policy and decides to have his/her doctor assist them in the suicide. The insurance company can come back and deny the claim by stating they committed suicide even if it was assisted.

That could be a lawsuit waiting to happen. :dunno2:

I guess I'll just have to wait for the Voter's pamphlet to come out to see how it is worded before I vote a 'yes' or a 'no'.

As Royale pointed out--the insurance. Suppose one has a life insurance policy and decides to have his/her doctor assist them in the suicide. The insurance company can come back and deny the claim by stating they committed suicide even if it was assisted.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the Voter's pamphlet to come out to see how it is worded before I vote a 'yes' or a 'no'.

Lets alter the situation to determine what is called suicide.Imagine somebody is healthy , there are no medical conditions at all, but he wants to die and he asks another person to kill him. If this other person complies the request, would you consider it suicide , since it was his wish and he gave his consent.

This is not a legal question. Legally it would be considered murder. I am asking you if you would think this as a way of suicide.

-

No. Cause of death will be the terminal illness; not whether the person hastened his or her death by taking a lethal dose of medication. Insurance Co won't challenge a claim if the cause of death is listed as "liver cancer", as an example.

Lets alter the situation to determine what is called suicide.Imagine somebody is healthy , there are no medical conditions at all, but he wants to die and he asks another person to kill him. If this other person complies the request, would you consider it suicide , since it was his wish and he gave his consent.

This is not a legal question. Legally it would be considered murder. I am asking you if you would think this as a way of suicide.

-

It is a way of suicide in a theoretical sense. However, legally I would consider it murder because anyone would say "Oh hey... he asked me to." and provide forged documents. Also, I don't see any reason why he can't kill himself, hence the shaky reason for the situation.

It is a way of suicide in a theoretical sense. However, legally I would consider it murder because anyone would say "Oh hey... he asked me to." and provide forged documents. Also, I don't see any reason why he can't kill himself, hence the shaky reason for the situation.

Yes thats why I didnt ask a legal question. It is very difficult to separate who gave consent and who did not in that kind of situation, so I am not trying to change the definition of murder in legal sense. I am just wondering how people see the role of another person in this kind of situation when there is consent.

We can look at it from a reverse angle too. If I sell you a gun and if you kill yourself later on using the same gun, am I assisting your suicide or am I murdering you?

-

Back