Votes: 21 44.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Don´t know

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
:dizzy: unsubscribing this ... two separated issues should be separated.

or four separated issues should be separated also.

or tons. no freckle is as same as another freckle.

:wave: :scatter:

Okay, Let me ask you something, if capital punishment was illegal, what do you expect them to do with inmates if their prison is overcrowd? Allowing some of them back on the streets? We need to ask ourselves how we're willing to go to prevent future crimes such as murder. And you know according to the studies, executions can saves lives, murders can be prevented in the society. ;)

build more prisons :laugh2: or a prison island

Its a touchy one. But, in effect, all you are voting for is the right to choose to make your own end of life decisions. Just because a death with dignity act passes doesn't mean you have to take advantage of it yourself. Morality issues would decide whether it is an option you yourself take advantage of. A matter of choice and right to privacy is the issue regarding decisions made between a competent individual and their doctors.

I am comfortable with the above rationalization of voting 'yes' on Initiative 1000. Again--depending on the wording of the proposed law.

Personally--I wouldn't do it. Afterall--I do want to get into the pearly gates or the 'big enchilada' in the sky. :)

:dizzy: unsubscribing this ... two separated issues should be separated.

:wave: :scatter:

Eh, I brought up a separate issue so it's kind my responsibility here.

Back on topic as always.

This will never solve the problem.

Where does the prison-building end?

Exactly. To solve the problem (if there is one), is to have better palliative care. If that's the outcome of physician assisted suicide, then I support it.

My mom has told me REPEATEDLY to find a way to kill her legally if she ever gets to the point of a brain dead state or has terminal illness. I need to find a way to put this on paper or some other proof. In the case if people think, "Oh she has dementia, her daughter just wants to kill her for $$ or whatever", I'll have proof that this is what she wanted her whole life. It would be SO much easier if we can legalize assisted suicide.

Of course, every time she brings it up, I just respond with "Oh god mom! I don't want to think about that!" :)

My mom has told me REPEATEDLY to find a way to kill her legally if she ever gets to the point of a brain dead state or has terminal illness. I need to find a way to put this on paper or some other proof. In the case if people think, "Oh she has dementia, her daughter just wants to kill her for $$ or whatever", I'll have proof that this is what she wanted her whole life. It would be SO much easier if we can legalize assisted suicide.

Of course, every time she brings it up, I just respond with "Oh god mom! I don't want to think about that!" :)

U know what my mom told me before about this subject? She said if she starts losing her mind, my brothers and I should drive her waayyy out in the desert (she lives in Phx, AZ) and leave here there to die. I told her that was horrible and why joke about something like that? :roll: My mom has a weird sense of humor sometimes. :eek3:

... two separated issues should be separated.

Most of the threads go off topic, but some of the issues are related in the discussion. First issue is "will to die". This is about the role of consent . The second issue is the assistance, and what should be the role of another person in this process if there is consent.

Of course there are many different scenarios and conditions and different opinions on each one, so it gets complicated after a point. This is what happens in almost all threads :)

-

build more prisons :laugh2: or a prison island

It's not that simple, it takes time to build new prisons, that may means transferring inmates, that's if their prison isn't overcrowded. :P

It's not that simple, it takes time to build new prisons, that may means transferring inmates, that's if their prison isn't overcrowded. :P

Any discussion about prisons is irrelevant. No crime has been commited.

To me, " assisted suicide " is like encouragin' a patient to take away his/her life. That's a commit murder to me. You are encouragin' it to let a patient to end his/her life by offerin' this. And, I disagree this kind of idea when offerin' to less patient's sufferin' or pain.

I think it's best to leave a patient to make her/his own decision without anyone's suggestion or offer to commit suicide his/her life. I mean, WITHOUT encourage. It's not your place to make a decision when the pain or sufferin' is involved. It's not your place to make a decision when to die in peace.

Well, the doctors don't really encourage it. It is up to the patient to request it. They have to make the request on 3 separate occassions. Usually, a fter the first request, the doctor realizes that they need to provide more palliative care, and provides more pain relief for the patient. The patient is again comfortable, and never follows through on the next two requests. Several more patients will die from the natural course of the disease before their request has been approved. A little more than half of the patients who actually do receive their prescription actually take it and commit suicide. Half have the medication but never use it.

Doctors don't encourage it. The patient has to request that medication be given. There are guidelines that are followed. In addition to making the request for medication, the patient must be terminally ill and have less than six mos to live. I'm sure other guidelines are in place that I'm not aware of.

Psychological evaluation to insure that the patient is competent and fully understands the request and the consequences, diagnosis by two separate physicians, and the submission of 3 separate requests. The must be able to take the meds themself. They cannot be adminsitered by doctor, nurse, friend, or family member.

I knew you wouldnt care. Thats why its called side note. I always act as other people might want to know new things too , like I do. If they dont, they can always ignore it. Otherwise its really difficult for me to state "I write this message for this, and this people and I exclude this and that " at the end of every post.

-
You are more than welcome to share anything you would like with us. I'm interesting. :P

This discussion isn't helping me any......

As Royale pointed out--the insurance. Suppose one has a life insurance policy and decides to have his/her doctor assist them in the suicide. The insurance company can come back and deny the claim by stating they committed suicide even if it was assisted.

That could be a lawsuit waiting to happen. :dunno2:

I guess I'll just have to wait for the Voter's pamphlet to come out to see how it is worded before I vote a 'yes' or a 'no'.

Oregon might have precedents in this. Their Death with Dignity Act is PAS, and it has been in effect since the 90's.

Psychological evaluation to insure that the patient is competent and fully understands the request and the consequences, diagnosis by two separate physicians, and the submission of 3 separate requests. The must be able to take the meds themself. They cannot be adminsitered by doctor, nurse, friend, or family member.

:ty: I knew there were other guidelines that must be adhered to before the prescription is dispensed.

Originally Posted by Oceanbreeze
Doctors don't encourage it. The patient has to request that medication be given. There are guidelines that are followed. In addition to making the request for medication, the patient must be terminally ill and have less than six mos to live. I'm sure other guidelines are in place that I'm not aware of.

jillio said:

Yes, that's correct. No one will encourage them to do it because it's their choice to make a desicion, NOT A DOCTOR OR NURSE OR ANY PHYSICIAN. It's a choice has made by a person her/himself. A patient should understand the requirement and agreement with doctors. Like I said it before, suicide assistance is for hospital purposes only... Let me tell you about how is the difference in between commit suicide and assistance suicide.

Death with Dignity Act had happened on October 27, 1997 and November 1994. I'm sure you guys know about that... Let's start with commit suicide...

"Causes of Suicide"

There are a variety of reasons for commit suicide:
-Mental disorders
-Suffering
-Unrequieted love
-Stress
-Grief
-Withdrawal or discontinuation of psychoeactive substances
-As philosophically or ideaologically motivated move
-To escape punishment or an abusive environment
-Guilt or shame
-Catestrophic injury
-Financial loss
-Self sacrifice
-As part of a military or social strateagy (suicide attacks, self bombing, etc)
-Belief that life has no inherent value (absurdism, pessimism, etc etc)
-As part of a religious or cult doctrina
-Loneliness
-To restore honor
-Curiosity
-Unresolved sexual issues
-Drugs as in the paradoxical effect of some sedatives
-Discraimations
-Teens suicide rate
-Low self esteem

But this is not done by the doctors because it's not THEIR responality(sp) for their jobs.

"Causes by Suicide Assistance That Could Prevent From Intolerance of..."

- Fatal diseases which is much harder to heal it
- Uncurable diseases
- A kind of an organ cancer that could not cure or is harder to heal it
- Malignant disease
- Heart diseases
- Others

Be remember, the passage of this initative (sp?) had been made in Oregon, the first US state, and this - one of the first juriseudictions (sp?) in the world to allow some terminally ill patients to determine the time of their own death for themself alone...

This is much safer and simple than the commit suicide. Before my home-state had the law, believe it or not, there were still had a rate of commit suicide. So, after the law had passed, the assisted suicide do not effect on the rate of commit suicide, because of the popularity had been increased today by immegaties (sp?), birth rate, teen suicide rate (due to religious intolerance, bullies, etc etc), fear of dealing with various and personal problems (see the above on the list of commit suicide), and much more.

Cearly, both of assisted suicide and commit suicide are not same, like Liebling said, you cannot compare both of them because they are totally different stories.

EDIT: Again, it's about a doctor's job, not outside of any hospital.

Last edited:
Back