Do you support a cure for deafness?

Do you support a cure for deafness?

• Total voters
No, it's a problem because they miss hearing their child sing or laugh. They miss being able to listen to the radio when they drive or get ready for work. They miss being able to hear different accents. They miss being able to hear waves crash on rocks and birds singing in spring. For people that want their hearing back it's because they miss things they enjoyed in the past. It doesn't have a F-ing thing to do with society.
Again, you missed the point.

Society has everything to do with it because it sets the norms and the standards. If someone doesn't fit those norms and standards, they are SOL.

Why don't we just agree that we disagree?

I personally would support the deaf receiving every accomodation they receive now (more are needed actually) if a cure was found. People should be able to live the way they want. A cure would be nice for those that want it though.

Good post. :thumb:

Society has everything to do with it because it sets the norms and the standards. If someone doesn't fit those norms and standards, they are SOL.

Well our posts were pro-choice. Everybody is free to choose whatever they want. They can choose to stay deaf or not if cure is here. I chose to stay deaf. Others chose to opt for hearing.

Your posts are.... very defensive in nature. So... I think you should follow your own advice.

:bsflag: Because you are wrong. It has nothing or verry little to do with norms of society. It has to do with what they enjoyed and missed. I am not sure I would chose to be cured. But I know I sure enjoyed my Mellencamp CDs on a road trip. Society would probably tell me my music needs to catch up with the times. I know I miss hearing my daughter giggle. Society didn't tell me to enjoy that. I enjoyed it because it was cute. Society didn't tell me to enjoy the sound of waves. I enjoyed that sound because it was relaxing. Society would tell me that the sounds of a busy city are noise polution and that I should protect my ears. But I LOVED the sounds of Chicago. The street vendors selling hot dogs, street musicians using buckets for drums, jack hammers sounding the everchanging face of the city and the horns and language of angry cab drivers all combined to give the city an energized feel. One that many enjoy.

Most people who have lost their hearing just miss things they enjoyed. It's that simple.

Well our posts were pro-choice. Everybody is free to choose whatever they want. They can choose to stay deaf or not if cure is here. I chose to stay deaf. Others chose to opt for hearing.

Your posts are.... very defensive in nature. So... I think you should follow your own advice.
Very defensive? That is your interpretation.

And what advice is it you think I should follow? Was it that TXGolfer and I should agree to disagree? I made the suggestion. I thought it would be easier than debating endlessly when we will not find a common ground. If someone misses the point I was making, should I just it go?

Would this argument been the same thing had it been about a cure for blindness?

:bsflag: Because you are wrong. It has nothing or verry little to do with norms of society. It has to do with what they enjoyed and missed. I am not sure I would chose to be cured. But I know I sure enjoyed my Mellencamp CDs on a road trip. Society would probably tell me my music needs to catch up with the times. I know I miss hearing my daughter giggle. Society didn't tell me to enjoy that. I enjoyed it because it was cute. Society didn't tell me to enjoy the sound of waves. I enjoyed that sound because it was relaxing. Society would tell me that the sounds of a busy city are noise polution and that I should protect my ears. But I LOVED the sounds of Chicago. The street vendors selling hot dogs, street musicians using buckets for drums, jack hammers sounding the everchanging face of the city and the horns and language of angry cab drivers all combined to give the city an energized fell. One that many enjoy.

Most people who have lost their hearing just miss things they enjoyed. It's that simple.
Whatever...you're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. It does not mean you're right or that I'm wrong.

We are not even talking about the same things.

Very defensive? That is your interpretation.

And what advice is it you think I should follow? Was it that TXGolfer and I should agree to disagree? I made the suggestion. I thought it would be easier than debating endlessly when we will not find a common ground. If someone misses the point I was making, should I just it go?
your own advice to us - to agree to disagree. You were being defensive about deaf community & ASL being eroded away but how is that our fault? Nobody forced deafies to get CI/HA/etc. Let's say CI/HA/deaf cure are banned.

Do you feel that it's a duty to force all other deafies to learn ASL?

Whatever...you're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. It does not mean you're right or that I'm wrong.

We are not even talking about the same things.
nobody said we were right. nobody said you were wrong. But you're trying to make your opinion sounds louder than ours :lol:

your own advice to us - to agree to disagree. You were being defensive about deaf community & ASL being eroded away but how is that our fault? Nobody forced deafies to get CI/HA/etc. Let's say CI/HA/deaf cure are banned.

nobody said we were right. nobody said you were wrong. But you're trying to make your opinion sounds louder than ours :lol:

Oops I said he was wrong....Sorry:Oops:

Where did I say anything about ASL and deaf community?

I don't feel it's anyone's duty to force any deafies to learn ASL.

If I wanted my opinions to be louder, maybe I would bold them or something.

:bsflag: Because you are wrong. It has nothing or verry little to do with norms of society. It has to do with what they enjoyed and missed. I am not sure I would chose to be cured. But I know I sure enjoyed my Mellencamp CDs on a road trip. Society would probably tell me my music needs to catch up with the times. I know I miss hearing my daughter giggle. Society didn't tell me to enjoy that. I enjoyed it because it was cute. Society didn't tell me to enjoy the sound of waves. I enjoyed that sound because it was relaxing. Society would tell me that the sounds of a busy city are noise polution and that I should protect my ears. But I LOVED the sounds of Chicago. The street vendors selling hot dogs, street musicians using buckets for drums, jack hammers sounding the everchanging face of the city and the horns and language of angry cab drivers all combined to give the city an energized feel. One that many enjoy.

Here's where I think you are missing the point and I'll give you a couple examples of "society" as well.
How many deaf individuals have had their loss for so long that they have no memory of the sounds they are supposed to be missing? You're lumping everyone in the same category as yourself. There are to many levels of deafness to put all in the same arena and using the term "cure" (which kokonut did to purposely stir everyone up) is implying that deafness is a disease. The two most prevalent causes for deafness that I have seen are damage and neuro. Neither would be considered a disease like say Cancer.

As far as society, how they react to deafness and the Problems it creates I'll give you an example that you might empathize with;
Glenn's ex took him to her family functions. He remained largely isolated due to communication issues. Her family's expectations were that he learn to communicate with them or remain left out and isolated. (Sound familiar anyone??)

Now, at every family function that I have taken him to (AND mind you this is the side of my family who does not have hearing loss nor experience with anyone who is deaf or hoh) my family made the effort to communicate with Glenn. It's not 100% of the time, you do have to take into consideration that none are used to being around deaf folks, but the effort is there. Comments directed at me were like, "Okay, you'll have to start teaching us sign so we can talk to Glenn." This is without any prompting from me and also came from a few that were very leery of Glenn at first because they'd never dealt with deafness. It can be scary for hearing people.
Now, my expectations for my family is that they learn to communicate with Glenn and I will make that known if I need to. So far I have not had to.
Do you see the differences in the two examples? This is most certainly a 'society' example and the 'problems' faced.

Here's where I think you are missing the point and I'll give you a couple examples of "society" as well.
How many deaf individuals have had their loss for so long that they have no memory of the sounds they are supposed to be missing? You're lumping everyone in the same category as yourself. There are to many levels of deafness to put all in the same arena and using the term "cure" (which kokonut did to purposely stir everyone up) is implying that deafness is a disease. The two most prevalent causes for deafness that I have seen are damage and neuro. Neither would be considered a disease like say Cancer.

As far as society, how they react to deafness and the Problems it creates I'll give you an example that you might empathize with;
Glenn's ex took him to her family functions. He remained largely isolated due to communication issues. Her family's expectations were that he learn to communicate with them or remain left out and isolated. (Sound familiar anyone??)

Now, at every family function that I have taken him to (AND mind you this is the side of my family who does not have hearing loss nor experience with anyone who is deaf or hoh) my family made the effort to communicate with Glenn. It's not 100% of the time, you do have to take into consideration that none are used to being around deaf folks, but the effort is there. Comments directed at me were like, "Okay, you'll have to start teaching us sign so we can talk to Glenn." This is without any prompting from me and also came from a few that were very leery of Glenn at first because they'd never dealt with deafness. It can be scary for hearing people.
Now, my expectations for my family is that they learn to communicate with Glenn and I will make that known if I need to. So far I have not had to.
Do you see the differences in the two examples? This is most certainly a 'society' example and the 'problems' faced.

Well said!

No where have I said that deafness is a disease. It's a condition but not a disease. I stated repeatedly it as a Be sure to set aside YOUR emotions regarding this when you want to make an argument on your behalf.

I'm sure Txgolf understands the different levels of hearing loss and the timing of its loss. And that each person's own experience with hearing loss varies. That's already a given around here.

This issue here is that people do support for the cure on deafness and when the day comes that a particular form of hearing loss can be restored/cured then people will finally have a choice with or without your blessings.

Back