Do You Suffer From Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

I discovered this book that claims that bipolar could be controlled via ones thinking. I find it hard to believe but I will read it out of curiosity. This is the book:

12390734.jpg

These are the major points discused in the book:

Chapters 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12 are the sections I have the most interest in reading.

CBT is an adjunct to pharmeceutical treatment. It is just a theoretical perspective of therapy. Some counselor's operate from this theotetical perspective, some don't. I personally am more of a Gestalt therapist. It is most important to choose your therapist based on your ability to develop a relationship and therefore, derive some benefit from the sessions. You, as the client, do not need to be concerned with the therapist's theoretical perspective. Even strict CBT practitioners will integrate facets from other theoretical perspectives that are useful in helping individual clients. This book was written for those studying to be praticing therapists. Chances are, it will do you more harm than good, as you don't have the prerequisite understanding that you need of the counseling process prior to studying theory. That is evidenced by your statement that the book claims that bi-polar disorder can be "controlled" through CBT alone. Any therapy only teaches one to deal with the symptoms of mental illness on a more functional level. Disorders such as Bi-polar Disorder, that are rooted in abnormalities in brain chemistry, are never "controlled" through therapy alone.

CBT is an adjunct to pharmeceutical treatment. It is just a theoretical perspective of therapy. Some counselor's operate from this theotetical perspective, some don't. I personally am more of a Gestalt therapist. It is most important to choose your therapist based on your ability to develop a relationship and therefore, derive some benefit from the sessions. You, as the client, do not need to be concerned with the therapist's theoretical perspective. Even strict CBT practitioners will integrate facets from other theoretical perspectives that are useful in helping individual clients. This book was written for those studying to be praticing therapists. Chances are, it will do you more harm than good, as you don't have the prerequisite understanding that you need of the counseling process prior to studying theory. That is evidenced by your statement that the book claims that bi-polar disorder can be "controlled" through CBT alone. Any therapy only teaches one to deal with the symptoms of mental illness on a more functional level. Disorders such as Bi-polar Disorder, that are rooted in abnormalities in brain chemistry, are never "controlled" through therapy alone.

That's what I thought.

I think I have it dunno I never seen any counselor, phyiscarist, psychologist or asked doc about anything cuz I assume its normal thing.
But my symptoms match to bipolar disorder someone said above...
Hmm

I thought I was bipolar but those who have worked with me said that while I have mood swings, they aren't anything like those clients who have Bipolar. My swings turned out to be a case of ADD which can be mistaken for Bipolar by those who are not well informed on this subject.

My niece recently was misdx'd as a bipolor. She turned out to have a classic case of depression. Several members of my family are prone to bouts of depressions and in some cases they have to be hopsitalized as a result.

I thought I was bipolar but those who have worked with me said that while I have mood swings, they aren't anything like those clients who have Bipolar. My swings turned out to be a case of ADD which can be mistaken for Bipolar by those who are not well informed on this subject.

My niece recently was misdx'd as a bipolor. She turned out to have a classic case of depression. Several members of my family are prone to bouts of depressions and in some cases they have to be hopsitalized as a result.

You are very correct in that ADD can sometimes mimic the symtoms of Bi-Polar Disorder. And depression that cycles in severity can easily be misdx'ed as Bi-Polar as well, because the less severe cycles are mistaken for mania.

I feeling want a share with you about Bipolar Disorder. I had bad experience deaf lady who bipolar disorder depressed, many jump conclusion, criticize,and manipulative and threaten and revenge. Now, She moved other state. Our town in Oklahoma are very very peace now. I avoid who deaf people had bipolar disorder since I am afraid that I not want friend who bipolar disorder. Thats time I not understand so much. I was kept away and avoid from who people bipolar disorder. God touched my heart for good experience my life. God gave me biggest challenging to who bipolar disorder for 11 yrs who deaf lady bipolar disorder. God showed me read about bipolar disorder internet and read book. I still afraid not want around who bipolar disorder. Last 2 or 3 months ago,One lady other state hung up herself who had bipolar disorder. I do my best understand and helping to people who has bipolar disorder. God knew and love them so much. I not hate or judgment them. I never been myself bipolar disorder. It so much sad for me. I would love counselor them but I not good..depend with Lord.

Interesting!! God planned for my life that someone met me. The one mother hearing have a deaf daughter and met me last few days. She shared with me her deaf daughter had a bipolar disorder. Mother take her went to counselor and found out depressed and bipolar disorder etc. She asked me helping with her good adviser. I was little nervous not want around who people bipolar disorder. I went to her deaf daughter. I chatted with her lot time. Her mom questioned me about it. I helped her out. I realized God knew and planned for me met them. I not expect that. Her mom told me she had a sk2 and keep touch with her. How wonderful she is warm friendship with me. I trust Lord. I not panic and peace myself. I had scar my head from other deaf lady had a bipolar disorder terrible life. I found out that she not same other deaf lady. It different depend individual.

QUOTE]

Same with me, they thought I had bipolar and I knew it was something else. I deal with my mood swing for many years after had my first child till I went thru early menopause in 30's and my gyn doctor found I had small tumor on my pitutary gland. People with malfunction pituitary gland do experience mood swing. I wish I never took those mood stablier because it messed up my pituitary gland so badly and caused me to suffer for few years till it became stable and under control with help of my endo doctor.

QUOTE]

Same with me, they thought I had bipolar and I knew it was something else. I deal with my mood swing for many years after had my first child till I went thru early menopause in 30's and my gyn doctor found I had small tumor on my pitutary gland. People with malfunction pituitary gland do experience mood swing. I wish I never took those mood stablier because it messed up my pituitary gland so badly and caused me to suffer for few years till it became stable and under control with help of my endo doctor.

I agree. Too many doctors that aren't well informed about psychiatric illnesses diagnose patients with Bi-Polar Disorder without checking out all other possible causes for mood swings first. Likewise, it is becoming very popular to diagnose children with Bi-Polar Disorder. The DSM states specifically that Bi-Polar cannot be diagnosed in juveniles. It appears that many doctors are diagnosing based on a few symptoms, and Bi-Polar Disorder actually is made up of a contellation of symptoms. Extreme mood swings are only a part of the disorder.

I agree. Too many doctors that aren't well informed about psychiatric illnesses diagnose patients with Bi-Polar Disorder without checking out all other possible causes for mood swings first. Likewise, it is becoming very popular to diagnose children with Bi-Polar Disorder. The DSM states specifically that Bi-Polar cannot be diagnosed in juveniles. It appears that many doctors are diagnosing based on a few symptoms, and Bi-Polar Disorder actually is made up of a contellation of symptoms. Extreme mood swings are only a part of the disorder.
It does not fit me, lol. Only reason they thought I had it when I became vegatarian 6 weeks and lost so much weight during the time. Then I become extreme mood swing for last of two weeks. I almost died and I promised myself never to go thru this again. Never become vegatarian again. My then soso pituitary become overdo because of what I did. Now I have to take medicine for it rest of my life, otherwise my health would be in jeopardy. I never trust doctors since then and it took me awhile to accept my present doctors and trust them. I sometime wonder about those people who were misdiagnosed Bi-polar and it may be something else. Thanks for making it clear. :)

It does not fit me, lol. Only reason they thought I had it when I became vegatarian 6 weeks and lost so much weight during the time. Then I become extreme mood swing for last of two weeks. I almost died and I promised myself never to go thru this again. Never become vegatarian again. My then soso pituitary become overdo because of what I did. Now I have to take medicine for it rest of my life, otherwise my health would be in jeopardy. I never trust doctors since then and it took me awhile to accept my present doctors and trust them. I sometime wonder about those people who were misdiagnosed Bi-polar and it may be something else. Thanks for making it clear. :)

YW, jazzy!

I have clinical depression which will be always with me to the day I die.
My salvation is my Wife, Children and Grandchildren, without them I would have died before my time. I am one lucky man.

My salvation is my Wife, Children and Grandchildren, without them I would have died before my time. I am one lucky man.

A good support system is one of the most valuable assests in recovery. You are blessed indeed, to have an understanding and caring family.

I'm prone to it as well and there are times when it's a struggle but I haven't given in to it yet. I hope I never give in to it. Several members of my family are also prone to it and severe depression is not something I'd wish on any one.

My oldest sister is bipolar or something similar to it. She can be impulsive and has her upper and downer. But she is so, so much better now. I suspect because she is feeling better about herself and is talking to someone about it.

Now my second eldest sister could be bipolar or something else because she can be unreasonable and irritable for no reason. It's hard to describe, but we do know there's something a bit 'off' about her now.

It's really hard to watch people closest to you suffer from those sort of disorders. You want to help them and yet, you cannot because they have to ask for help.

Somewhat off the topic-boy, some of my siblings are masters at being in denial.

Seven years ago I was diagnosed with manic depression, also known as Bipolar Disorder. I take medication (my salvation) every day to maintain a normal level of stabilizing chemicals in my brain. The meds allow me to function and live a normal life.

Do you suffer the same (or like) illness?

My mom has Bipolar and Multiple Sclerosis

I have it - but for now Im trying to maintain it on my own without meds as my insurance at work doesnt cover it (or at least at last count they did not)

Im in a state of flux going from manic to depressed because Im having more days where Im pissed off for no reason. Sometimes the swings get severe enough I feel like Im drowning in my own emotions if that makes any sense. There are days I feel invincible, like I wake up and Im manic, my mind is going 26 gazillion miles per hour and I have no focus, no direction, nothing.

I have an uncle that suffers from severe bipolar and schizophrenia - he is on SSI because he cannot function normally despite the medications.

aaww, AB
i feel so depressed for 2 days now sighs oh well
sometimes i have bad day sometimes i have good day but last 2 days wasn't good days for me

The good news for me is that my meds keep me depression free- most of the time.

Back