Do You Remember Your First Time?

OMG Dixie and Shel, I really do think that BY LAW kids and their parents should be informed of other schooling options. jr high and high school were HELL for me. I really do think that jr high and high school were significent triggers in the mental illness issues I deal with on a day to day baisis.

no.. my life was never nomral (to notice). or is anyway.

whenever it will be, it won't be normal for me lol.

:wiggle:

i dont really remmy that well but my mom told me that i noticed that my mom signed and thought she was same as me so i asked her if she is deaf too since i knew that i cant hear and i sign she said no that she is hearing and all it dont really bother me i found out that i am deaf when i was much younger i went to hearing school for almost in my whole life but i went to deaf school for 4 yrs in high school i dont feel much different from hearing ppl cuz we are all human being only one thing is different is that i cant hear that it

I remember going to the 4th grade and this was my first day as a mainstreamed deaf person. I remember stepping in the classroom and seeing 20 other people staring at me.

That was a shock to me considering that the Richmond oral program rarely had more than five students in it. I had to wear the phonic ear in 4th grade and only then it hit me that i was the only deaf person in that school. I didn't mind the phonic ear but I certainly minded it in the 6th grade. I didn't have to wear it in the fifth grade.

My family gets mad if I use CC.So I will be getting my own T.V. for my bedroom. :D[/QUOTE

That's a shame! I just don't think that CC is distracting. I have had it on the T.V. for so long, that if it accidentally gets turned off, the picture looks weird to me! I leave it on all the time, and my son is away from home most of the time now. I've just gotten used to it, and I use it myself sometimes. I even leave it on if a friend comes over for a movie night. Everyone jsut knows if you watch T.V. at my house, it will be captioned. It's just no biggie to have the CC turned on. But then, my friends and family have gotten used to the flashing light when the doorbell rings, too, LOL. I jsut don't see any sense in turning that stuff off. My son still needs it when he does come home for a visit, and I have lived with it for so long that it just seems right.

I'm glad you will be getting a T.V. for your room. You can leave the CC on 24/7.

I cannot remember when I was child. I realized that I was not same as my many cousins. my cousins and I had hard time to understand each other because they didnt know sign language. Sometime I didn't feel fit in.

There was no first time for me. I was born with it and I don't ever remember complaining or being angry about my hearing disability. I guess I was just born with keeping my head up high and grin. haha

My family gets mad if I use CC.So I will be getting my own T.V. for my bedroom. :D

I guess they're just mad because the CC blocks the score in sport or something :doh:

I guess they're just mad because the CC blocks the score in sport or something :doh:

They don't like to see the words on the bottom of the screen.They can't keep their minds on what is going on. :roll:

They don't like to see the words on the bottom of the screen.They can't keep their minds on what is going on. :roll:

Tell them if u cant CC, they cant have the volume on and everyone can watch TV without understanding the dialogue. That should be fair, right?

U can tell them that the volume bothers your hearing aids just as the CC bothers them. LOL!

I was first time go to Pre School for Hear impaired when I was 3. I started to learn SEE sign. I was first time go to Mainstream Elementary School at age 5 half. I made bad decide to transfer to Deaf School when I was 10 years old. I wasn't happy with hoh students made fun of me because I don't use my voice and speak at all. Their friends were mean to me. I decide to transfer to deaf school. The kids were mean to me too. Argh!

I was first time go to Pre School for Hear impaired when I was 3. I started to learn SEE sign. I was first time go to Mainstream Elementary School at age 5 half. I made bad decide to transfer to Deaf School when I was 10 years old. I wasn't happy with hoh students made fun of me because I don't use my voice and speak at all. Their friends were mean to me. I decide to transfer to deaf school. The kids were mean to me too. Argh!

I am a teacher at a Deaf school..the kids are always picking on each other. It doesnt really matter if it is a Deaf or mainstreamed school...there are always bullies everywhere we go.

At least at the Deaf schools, communication is 100% accessible for all. That was what I didnt have growing up.

That's true. Bullies kids are everywhere we go either.

I am a teacher at a Deaf school..the kids are always picking on each other. It doesnt really matter if it is a Deaf or mainstreamed school...there are always bullies everywhere we go.

At least at the Deaf schools, communication is 100% accessible for all. That was what I didnt have growing up.

Tell them if u cant CC, they cant have the volume on and everyone can watch TV without understanding the dialogue. That should be fair, right?

U can tell them that the volume bothers your hearing aids just as the CC bothers them. LOL!

LOL I bet they'll go like "oh... good point..." :gpost::gpost::gpost:

Yes ... "an eye for an eye!"

I like the way you think! LOL!

I like the way you think! LOL!

Thanks Jillo and everyone else. The reason I think this way is cuz I am so sick and tired of being the one who has to accompany to hearing people's needs and sacrificing my access to communication. Also, sick and tired of hearing adults expecting deaf children to meet their hearing needs.

Back