Do You Remember Your First Time?

Tell them if u cant CC, they cant have the volume on and everyone can watch TV without understanding the dialogue. That should be fair, right?

U can tell them that the volume bothers your hearing aids just as the CC bothers them. LOL!

Shel, for years I tried everything, I get so fed up with having to fight with them.So I will get my own T.V. that way everybody can be happy.

My family gets mad if I use CC.So I will be getting my own T.V. for my bedroom. :D

I always make it a point to put the CC on any tv I am watching. Last month I went over to a friends house and after finally figuring out how to put the CC on his tv, I couldn't turn it off when it was time for me to go home! :giggle: It took him a week to figure it out. He was so mad! I do that to everyone!
:ty:

There were 2 incidents where I fully understood what was happening to me. The first time was when my mom ran the vacum cleaner and when she turned it off, I couldn't hear anything. That's when she got me into the ENT to figure out if my hearing was going. I was 5. I got tennittus (sp) while in 4th grade. One morning, my mom was out giving my sib's a ride to school when I suddenly heard buzzing sound. I swore it was a bee in my ear. I tried to shake it out. i got so scared i ran out of the house and waited for mom got back home.

Yes, I saw kids on floor, sleeping at night. It was most brief I first remember. Yet, it's blur.

I always make it a point to put the CC on any tv I am watching. Last month I went over to a friends house and after finally figuring out how to put the CC on his tv, I couldn't turn it off when it was time for me to go home! :giggle: It took him a week to figure it out. He was so mad! I do that to everyone!
:ty:

That is funny.:giggle:

I was born hearing but all my family were Deaf, I was brought up in a deaf culture. When I started to lose my hearing in my teens I suppose I just thought here it comes. Now Im very deaf but my life is the same as before same friends as when I was hearing.

I found out first day in school. (Mainstream) I was watching a small light going around the ceiling and oblivious to all else. Then when glancing down saw several children laughing at me because it was some boy reflecting the sun with a metal pencil top, and they thought funny I didn't know they were laughing at me. I had good friends at home though. Another kid on block was profound deaf (this was rubella epidemic days) and all neighborhood kids our friends.

Since I was born with normal hearing, I don't have any experiences with regards to that, but I do with regards to my blindness. I was born totally blind. The first time I remember being "different" was when I was in the first grade. I was quietly reading a Braille book when someone placed their hands on the book and asked me what those "bumps" were. :) Since I couldn't see, I thought everyone read the same way I did. No one had explained to me that blind people read Braille and sighted people read print.

Now that I think about it, I do have an experience with regards to feeling different as it relates to my hearing. I was 15 years old at the time and had received my first pair of hearing aids. It was the first week that I received them. I'll never forget the moment I walked into the room and the first thing my itinerant teacher asked me was, "How do you like your new hearing aids?" I could have just about died from embarrassment because I didn't want anyone to know I wore aids *and* was blind. (Hope that doesn't sound insulting. I don't mean for it to. It's just the way I felt at the time.)

Since I was born with normal hearing, I don't have any experiences with regards to that, but I do with regards to my blindness. I was born totally blind. The first time I remember being "different" was when I was in the first grade. I was quietly reading a Braille book when someone placed their hands on the book and asked me what those "bumps" were. :) Since I couldn't see, I thought everyone read the same way I did. No one had explained to me that blind people read Braille and sighted people read print.

Now that I think about it, I do have an experience with regards to feeling different as it relates to my hearing. I was 15 years old at the time and had received my first pair of hearing aids. It was the first week that I received them. I'll never forget the moment I walked into the room and the first thing my itinerant teacher asked me was, "How do you like your new hearing aids?" I could have just about died from embarrassment because I didn't want anyone to know I wore aids *and* was blind. (Hope that doesn't sound insulting...I don't mean for it to be. It's just the way I felt at the time.)

It is not Insulting,I had many moments like that myself.

The very first day that they put me out of the deaf school and placed me into a public school. I was in first grade. I knew then that I would never be the same. My parents and older sisters said it was years before they heard me laugh again.

I had a similar experience sort of, except mine was more into middle school.
I had been getting a bit delayed, and had fallen behind a year, until they finally had the sense to ask me what the problem was, and it turned out I was was bored!

My parents wanted to try putting me in a 'regular' school, they did and actually I loved it at first. It was a bit hard also because I am and have always been very shy, and was placed with people who were unfamiliar, but I liked the challenge it presented, I was fascinated to discover a kind of 'relativity'. I worked hard for a year and rapidly caught up to where I was supposed to be, with my assistant and a private tutor, and then was advanced an extra year and still did well. The bad thing was when I made it to high school, I got bored again and became a bit rebellious, and ended up dropping out... but still, my experience gave me a thirst for knowledge, and apparently I had exceeded a lot of people's expectations at times (it didn't seem special to me but apparently I had impressed several teachers), I still continue studying and reading a lot of things in my own time.

I was born with it and I don't ever remember complaining or being angry about my hearing disability. I guess I was just born with keeping my head up high and grin.

D.H. Lawrence on self-pity: "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

I was different because I had a deaf sister, and I could "talk" with my hands. Most first-grade classmates wanted to learn it.

As an adult, I became deaf gradually, so it wasn't a shock -- and certainly not the end of the world. I learned some speech-reading naturally, so I was ready for formal schooling.

I'm discriminated against because I'm deaf, but it's just an annoyance, not the worst ignorance we encounter.

D.H. Lawrence on self-pity: "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

I was different because I had a deaf sister, and I could "talk" with my hands. Most first-grade classmates wanted to learn it.

As an adult, I became deaf gradually, so it wasn't a shock -- and certainly not the end of the world. I learned some speech-reading naturally, so I was ready for formal schooling.

I'm discriminated against because I'm deaf, but it's just an annoyance, not the worst ignorance we encounter.

You say that so perfectly, Chase!

Back