Do you have a TTY?

Do you use a TTY at home?

• Yes

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 40.8%

• Total voters
Cell phones, I heard, can trace where the call is coming from. Now, if that is true, I am not sure. It wouldn't hurt to have a TTY just in case. Another thing I heard deaf have done, if you have a normal phone but no TTY, just dail 911, then wait a sec or 2, and then just push buttons on the phone.

In my area, after the hurricane knocked out all electrical power (for many days), and knocked out the cell towers and cable (for many days and weeks), only the land line phones and TTYs worked. We never lost phone service on the land line phone the whole time. But people with cable, pagers and cell phones had to wait weeks for service.

Yes, I have TTY at home. I almost never use it. I decided to keep TTY for people who have TTY or don't have videophone and other technology. I mostly using IP-Relay through AIM, mobile, and internet.

Equal 911 Access

Another thing I heard deaf have done, if you have a normal phone but no TTY, just dail 911, then wait a sec or 2, and then just push buttons on the phone.
All 911 call centers are mandated to answer the phone with a TTY, if the operator hears no audio, after announcing 911 twice. If you want to alert the 911 operator you are a TTY user, DO NOT PRESS ANY (DTMF) BUTTONS ON THE PHONE! You may press (baduot) buttons, such as the spacebar, on your TTY. When the 911 operator hears the baduot tones, the 911 operator will answer you will a TTY, but you are not required to follow any special instructions, in order to access 911. The 911 operator must treat voice and TTY calls with the same ease of access to TTY users as voice users.

All 911 call centers are mandated to answer the phone with a TTY, if the operator hears no audio, after announcing 911 twice. If you want to alert the 911 operator you are a TTY user, DO NOT PRESS ANY (DTMF) BUTTONS ON THE PHONE! You may press (baduot) buttons, such as the spacebar, on your TTY. When the 911 operator hears the baduot tones, the 911 operator will answer you will a TTY, but you are not required to follow any special instructions, in order to access 911. The 911 operator must treat voice and TTY calls with the same ease of access to TTY users as voice users.

I am also talking abt if the deaf don't have a tty, just grab the phone and start pushing buttons

Do not just push buttons

I am also talking abt if the deaf don't have a tty, just grab the phone and start pushing buttons
That is no way to communicate.

If you are Deaf, and you do not have a TTY, use Nextalk to call your home/cell phone, then make a 3-way call to 9-1-1.

If you do not have a computer, use your Sidekick or other wireless device to use the relay service to call your home phone, then make a 3-way call to 9-1-1.

If you do not have a home phone line, use SMS to send a text message to one of the relay service IM bots, such as the AIM bot ThatsHamilton, to call your cell phone, then make a 3-way call to 9-1-1. (Use SMS. Do not use AIM directly, as you cannot use voice and data at the same time.)

If you do not have a home/cell phone, use VRS or internet relay to call 9-1-1. (Internet relay may refuse a 9-1-1 call. URRelay accepts 9-1-1 calls.)

If you have neither a TTY nor a computer/pager, pick up the phone, dial 9-1-1 and begin coughing or something, so the operator will hear a human being in trouble on the line and not think a 3-year-old picked up the phone and acidentally dialed 9-1-1.

I don't have a TTY as of yet but I am looking into buying one, I am a hearing person who due to Tourette's Syndrome has a speech impairment where I stutter a lot and while calling the Quebec Government I started stuttering so the person on the other side hanged up on me after like 20-30 seconds.

So from now on when I am calling a company or the government I plan on using a TTY instead so I can be understood.

I can't tell you how hard it is for me to find a company that sells TTYs here in Montreal because I have been looking for a long time and now that I finally found a place I am having a hard time finding reviews for various TTYs. :shock:

I am curious about one thing though, it seems like a lot of people here never use their TTYs anymore, is there anything better that I could use if I want to call companies and the government that has a TTY phone line or is a TTY my only way to accomplish this??

Thanks in Advance. =o)

I don't have a TTY as of yet but I am looking into buying one, I am a hearing person who due to Tourette's Syndrome has a speech impairment where I stutter a lot and while calling the Quebec Government I started stuttering so the person on the other side hanged up on me after like 20-30 seconds.

So from now on when I am calling a company or the government I plan on using a TTY instead so I can be understood.

I can't tell you how hard it is for me to find a company that sells TTYs here in Montreal because I have been looking for a long time and now that I finally found a place I am having a hard time finding reviews for various TTYs. :shock:

I am curious about one thing though, it seems like a lot of people here never use their TTYs anymore, is there anything better that I could use if I want to call companies and the government that has a TTY phone line or is a TTY my only way to accomplish this??

Thanks in Advance. =o)

Have you ever tried using the relay?

You could also download and use Nextalk.net and it'll let you call TTY/TDD numbers and work just like TDD only it's done on computers. Only problem I have is it don't like Vista. I'm sure it'll work great on XP.

Thanks in Advance. =o)

you might want to try online relay services such as i711:

i711.com - Relay & Beyond

to find other relay services, do a google search.

hope this helps!

Don't forget about Canada. Some relay services mey not make Canadian calls.

I never had a tty, but since I lost my hearing I got a CapTel phone. It's benefits are endless. It has been a lifesaver. All I had to do was contact the state agency for Deaf services who got me in touch with a local company just 40 miles from home to get me the phone. It's on loan until I leave Missouri. You can keep it for the length of time you need it and if they upgrade it or make changes, they will contact you to exchange it.

Yup I do if I don't want to use the computer or if I can't access to the computer. I REFUSE to use the VP relay, I just don't like to let people that I don't know who to see what's inside my house or see stranger's face expression while interpreting.

I have a TTY/TDD since 1995 at home right next to my computer. I love it and still rely on using my trusting TTY. I don't have a VP yet and don't know if I will use it someday in the future. I used standard phone line with my TTY/TDD. :D

Yes, I have a TTY. I am very fastest typing on tty!!! LoL I prefer use VP over TTY because no face expression. I'm sick of relay operator. It's frustrated to me. My mom, family and hearing friends don't like relay operator because not understand that clear and no face express or interpreter. They love to use VP to chat with me.

Im too, I have some ttys but I dont use it much. I almost use videophone and webcam.

I always keep TTY or Travel TTY.

if one day, all electricity went out, blackout? no television? no computer? but if wireless went out too? if phone line still survivor and only one left, I have no chance.

Im admit it, I do have VP but I don't use it, I always use Internet (MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, MySpace) or Cell Phone (use Text) because I like to have a privacy life and deaf population is too small number like too much information over personal, Im perfer my personal to stay in privacy in my area only, I don't mind to use VP with my own familys without relay service and I refused to use VP with relay service or strange people. :laugh2:

Yup still living in the dark ages here, I use TTY too. Haven't really kept up with modern technology, I only got my computer (well, laptop) a few years ago, before that, I used to rely on TTY heavily for communication with the world and keeping in touch with family. Up til a few years ago (8 years ago) I didn't have a mobile phone, had never heard of SMS, didn't have a computer, had no clue about internet.

So it's a sort of generation thing, even though im still in my late 30's lol :giggle:

I rarely use TTY as I keep in touch with my friends now via text messages on mobile and emailing on internet. Yahoo/MSN messengers also good for keeping in touch.

I would love to give Videophone a try though, when it comes to Australia! although I have forgotten how to use sign language....:(:cry: it would be cool to keep in touch with family and what they look like (I haven't seen my sister or brother in person for over 4 years now! they live too far away).

Hmm... It's been about 2 to 2.5 years since I last saw this thread.

I do have a TTY, but can't remember if I voted "Yes" in the poll.

It's not been used for about a couple of years and I do have a Vonage phone service (Vonage 500 Basic saves my money on my cell phone bill).

I dont need one since I can use IP relay whenever I wanna.

Back