Do you have a TTY?

Do you use a TTY at home?

• Yes

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 40.8%

• Total voters
We do have a tty hooked up on a shelf in our closet however our clothes are accumulating upon the tty so you couldn't see it anymore.

Trade in your TTY for CapTel

How can you trade in a TTY for a CapTel? I got a TTY/VCO... Pm me okay! Thanks
Well, I'll PM you, but I'll also post the information here, for everyone to see.
TTY/VCO here~ I use online My IP RELAY instead of my tty/vco! its a pain in the butt when you have to keep saying GA blah blah!
Trading in your TTY (Teletypewriter)/VCO (Voice-Carry-Over) for a CapTel (Captioned Telephone) is easy. Contact your telecommunications access program for more information. If you do not know how to contact them, dial 711, and then ask for customer service. When speaking with customer service, ask how to contact equipment or the telecommuncations access program, and they will be happy to assist you.

Using CapTel is very easy. To make a CapTel call, simply pick up the handset and dial the number of the Hearing person you would like to call. The CapTel captionist will automatically connect the call. When you speak, the Hearing person will hear you. When the Hearing person speaks, you can hear the Hearing person's voice, as well as see captions on the CapTel display at the same time. The CapTel captionist is totally invisible in the conversation and will not announce the captioning service, so you can choose to announce you are using a Captioned Telephone, or not. It's up to you. When the Hearing person speaks, the CapTel captionist uses stenomask microphone attached to a computer with voice recognition technology, to revoice everything the Hearing person says. The computer understands that specific captionist's voice, and the captionist also has a keyboard to type any names or unfamiliar words. This technology works so quickly, it only takes about 1 or 2 seconds for the captions to appear on your CapTel display. There is no reason to say "Go Ahead" or "GA", because you can interrupt the person at any time. You're in control.

Hearing people can call you easily. To connect to the captioning service, the Hearing person dials the toll-free number for CapTel relay. The Hearing person hears, "(Recording) (Female Voice) Thank you for calling the captioned telephone service. Please enter the area code and phone number of the person you are calling, followed by the pound sign." Once the Hearing person enters your ten-digit phone number, the Hearing person hears, "(Recording) (Female Voice) This call is being connected to CapTel." When your telephone rings, picking up the receiver will show "Connecting Captions", and the Hearing person hears, "The person you called will be with you shortly." When you see the captionist's ID number, say hello and begin your conversation. This entire process takes a matter of seconds.

You can also use CapTel for captions on your answering machine. Simply press "MENU" again and again until you see "Caption External Answering Machine" and press OK. Pleace the mouth piece of the CapTel handset on the speaker of your answering machine. You will see 'Connecting to Host" on your CapTel display. When you see "(Ready to caption)", press play on your answering machine. You can hear your messages and see the captions at the same time.

You can also use STS (Speech-to-Speech) with CapTel. If you or the person you want to call have speech that is not easily understood over the phone, you can use STS. When you call the toll-free number for STS, a specially trained STS operator answers and asks you for the number to dial and connects you. The STS operator will revoice anything not understood. If you do not know the number for STS, dial 711 and ask the operator what the Speech-to-Speech number is.

You can also use VRS with CapTel. If you want to call a videophone/webcam user, dial the toll-free number for VRS, and supply the videophone number (Sorenson videophone, call Sorenson VRS 1-866-FAST-VRS or D-Link videophone, call Hamilton VRS 1-866-HIP-VRS1), IP address (any VRS), ISDN number (CSD VRS 1-866-WANT-VRS), ext. number (depending on account, CSD VRS 1-866-WANT-VRS or Hands On VRS 1-877-HOS-4VRS), or AIM screen name (Hands On VRS 1-877-HOS-4VRS). You can also use CapTel with VRS to inteprtet complex Englisn. If you read complex English, and you would like it translated to ASL, turn your videophone off (or do not answer your computer) and call yourself with VRS (with a Sorenson VRS videophone number or CSD VRS or Hands On VRS ext number) The VI (Video Interpteter) will say, "The person you're calling doesn't answer. Would you like to leave a message?" Leave a message with that complex English, and the VI will send a video e-mail to you, in ASL.

You don't have to give up anything with CapTel, either. You can call still call baduot TTY users. You have two ways to call TTY users. The first way is to dial 711 with your CapTel. Your CapTel will turn into VCO mode to call the relay service. When the relay operator answers, ask for VCO, and the relay operator will type to you. Tell the operator the number you want to call, and tell the operator the number is TTY. When the TTY user types, the operator will do nothing, and the TTY users words will appear directly on your display. When you see "GA" ("Go Ahead"), it's your turn to speak. When you speak, the operator will type to the TTY user. When you are ready for the TTY user's response, say "Go Ahead" or "GA". Because this call is in VCO mode, not CapTel mode, you cannot speak while the TTY user is typing. Having the direct connection from the TTY user allows you to see the TTY users typing directly as it is typed, but it doesn't allow for other features, such as ASL-to-English, English-to-ASL, English-to-Spanish, Spanish-to-English, English-to-French, or French to English. Also, it is better to call a baduot (TTY) VCO user in CapTel mode, because you can hear the VCO user's voice and read the captions at the same time. If you would like one of these extra features, call the toll free number for the realy. If you do not know what the toll free number is, dial 711 and ask the operator what the voice number is. When you call the toll-free number, your CapTel will connect to a captionist to connect you to the relay. You can hear the relay operator's voice and read the captions on the screen. You can give the relay operator the number to dial and provide any instructions, such as English-to-ASL. If you would like translation to Spanish or French. Ask the operator to transfer you, or ask for the toll-free number for Spanish or French. When you connect with the Spanish or French operator, ask for English-to-Spanish or English-to-French. You cannot have translation if you want to call a Hearing person. If you want translation to a Hearing person, dial 711, and then ask for Spanish or French, or put your phone in VCO mode (press "MENU" until you see "VCO Mode", and then press OK), and then dial the toll-free number for Spanish or French. To return to CapTel mode, simply hang up and press "Caption".

If you want Spanish-to-Spanish CapTel, press and hold the shift button on the mini keyboard, and then press the menu button again and again, at the same time, until you see "Spanish Captions". Simply press OK to have your Spanish CapTel calls captioned in Spanish .

You can also call an HCO (Hearing-Carry-Over) user with CapTel. An HCO user can hear, but uses a TTY to type, instead of speak. To call an HCO user, put your CapTel in VCO mode and dial the HCO user's number directly. There will be no captionist or operator on the line. You will connect directly. When the HCO user types, the HCO user will hear you. Again, because you are calling in VCO mode, you cannot speak while the HCO user is typing. If you choose, you can also call an HCO user with relay. Dial the toll free number for the relay, and the captionst will connect you with a relay operator. Tell the operator the number and the number is HCO. When you speak, the HCO user will hear you. When the HCO user types, you will hear the relay operator's voice and see the captions at the same time.

9-1-1 calls are also directed in the same manner. When you call 9-1-1, there is no captionist or relay operator on the line. This is to protect you from waiting for relay in case of an emergency. To call 9-1-1, simply dial 9-1-1. There will be no captions. If you cannot hear the 9-1-1 operator, press the button on your display for 9-1-1 captions. Whren you press the button, your captel will show "Requestion Captions from 911". The 9-1-1 operator will hear the badot tones "VCO GA". The 9-1-1 operator will know to use TTY. When the 9-1-1 operator answers, your CapTel will send instructions to the 9-1-1 operator, "USE VCO YOU MUST TYPE TO ME ON TTY I WILL TALK TO YOU BY VOICE GA" The 9-1-1 operator will then type to you. You may not be able to hear the 9-1-1 operator, but you will see the words on your display. When it is your turn to talk, speak to the 9-1-1 operator. When you are ready for the 9-1-1 operator to respond, say "Go Ahead". When you hang up, your CapTel will remain in VCO mode, in case 9-1-1 calls you back. To return to CapTel mode, simply press "Caption".

If you have 2-Lines, you do not have to worry about this, because you can use 2-Line CapTel. With 2-Line CapTel, all calls are captioned, including relay and 9-1-1 calls. Also, Hearing people do not have to call the toll-free number for CapTel. Voice is on the main line, and text in on the second line.

You can use 2-Line CapTel with VRS with VCO. To use 2-Line CapTel with VRS with VCO, call VRS with your videophone/webcam, and then ask the VI for VCO. Tell the VI your telephone number, and the VI will call you. When you answer your CapTel, tell the VI the number of the Hearing person you want to call. When the Hearing person speaks, you can hear the Hearing person, see the sign language, and if you don't understand some of the signs or the fingerspelling is too fast, you can look at the captions.

If you are Blind or Low-Vision, you can also use CapTel. Simply ask for CapTel with USB. CapTel with USB allows you to use CapTel with a computer to read the captions in large print or on a dynamic braille display. You can even save or print the captions. Simply ask for CapTel with USB, when ordering your CapTel.

If you live or work with Hearing people, they can also use CapTel. They can simply turn off the captions.

For more information, contact CapTel customer service.

Ultratec, Inc.
Attn: CapTel Customer Service
450 Science Drive Ste 4
Madison, WI 53711-1166
1-888-269-7477 Voice/CapTel (English)
1-866-670-9134 Voice/Voz/CapTel (Spanish/Español)
1-800-482-2424 TTY
1-608-238-3008 Fax (Madison, WI)
CapTel@CapTelMail.com
CapTel - The Captioned Telephone
Well, I'm using voice phone for emergency.
Are you Hearing?
You can get SI Relay and there's no need to call GA or SK anymore.
Sorenson IP Relay
No, you cannot use SIP Relay or any other IP-Relay for VCO.

There is no way to use your microphone through the internet for voice. The only way to make a VCO call is with 2LVCO (2-Line VCO). To make a 2LVCO call with IP-Relay call, use your computer or pager to call your home phone or 2nd cell phone with the internet or AIM, with IP-Relay. When your phone rings, answer, "Hello, operator, can you hear my voice? Please type back to me." When the operator types back to you, say, "Operator, I am makeing a 2-Line VCO call. I want you to type the other person's voice, not my voice. Please hold while I connect the call." Press "flash" on your telephone (or however you place a 3-way call), and then dial the number of the Hearing person. Once it's ringing, press "flash" again (or however you connect 3-way calls). The operator will neither announce relay nor ask the Hearing person to repeat, unless you ask. When you speak, the operator does nothing. When the Hearing person speaks, you can hear the Hearing person and see the words the operator types. Because the operator is typing, there will be a delay.

I have a TeleBraille (Braille TTY) connected to my phone line and NexTalk installed on my computer.

I really like TTY a lot and it's great for keeping in touch with those who have a TTY. If I use Blackberry, while I do have Lormar Logic, I'll be left out of receiving incomming TTY calls, so TTY is very important to me.

While this is not my intention/place to advertise here but I'm hoping to sell my Ameriphone Q90D TTY since it didn't work with my Alltel Motorola V710--not very compatible unless I switch to analog, which my phone doesn't want to stay in analog... :( Have problems in Digital...

So I have signed up with VoIP Provider (not completly portable since can't use the TTY in the go unless it has Internet, with QoS consistancy in mind...) which is Vonage and have no problems with it except no 711 dialing... :(

I'm getting MyTTY straight to the apartment, hopefully by today or Tomorrow.

I have a TeleBraille III (Braille TTY) connected to my phone line and NexTalk installed on my computer.
Hey I saw TeleBraille over at the Helen Keller National Center in Long Island, New York! :) It is very great for those who are blind and deaf, but it's over a thousands of dollars... (Well, braille displays at Freedom Scientific costs over $3,000 so that adds up to the cost of TTY.)

Last edited:
We only use TTY on the sk or if she wants to watch tv too and uses the computer TTY. Having a TTY mechine, we have one, but we never have a home phone line and it just a waste while we have VP and the computer.

I dont really like TTY anymore.. I love to use VP.. It is an easy way to use the VP...

True, I agree with my handsome smiley husband.. We never have a home phone but we will have one in Germany with our new house because it s for emergency or Sam's work call for him.. Who knows..

BUT I am not ALLOWED give it to my mother in law our phone number.. NO WAY!

We only use TTY on the sk or if she wants to watch tv too and uses the computer TTY. Having a TTY mechine, we have one, but we never have a home phone line and it just a waste while we have VP and the computer.

Thought we have to have phone line to have internet for computer?
Scratch-Head.gif

Thought we have to have phone line to have internet for computer?
Scratch-Head.gif

That is if you are still stuck in the stone age. The only internet that my wife and I will get from now on is DSL or cable. Both run on a different line system, but the phone line.

No old fashioned tty's for moi. I use myiprelay with my own phone number issued by ip-relay so if anyone who calls me and I aint online they just can leave a message for me on the email. Then I'll call the person back on the ip-relay if it is a hearing person.

Forget the standard phoneline for me cuz im on cablemodem and the iprelay services and their issuing my personal phone nbr and stuff are a godsend for me. I hate the idea of giving a hearing person a headache of 2 phone numbers: The Tennessee Relay Service, then my personal phone number. It was such a waste of time until the myiprelay started issuing personal one-stop phone numbers.

Using a TTY to me is like being kicked back to the Stone Age when we're zooming toward the Space Age.

vp isnt for me after all Im out of the house pretty much.

I still use my Krown-TTYs to this day. I cannot imagine being without one.

As for video-phone, I don't need or want one anytime soon. I love my privacy too much. :D

Re: Re: Trande [(Trade)] your TTY for a CapTel

RoyalMajesty said:
Taric25 said:

Thanks girl! You saved my ass! Im really wanting the CapTel phone!! Sounds alot easier for me! My other phone is a pain in the butt, hate saying GA or SK stuff and it annoys the crap out of other people.. (hearing people) I wish I could just use a phone just like a hearing person, CapTel sounds like the best device and all.. How quick would it take if I get the captel phone? VRS along with CapTel... WOW I didn't know that at all, Im waiting for a video phone, nobody hasn't even contacted me about that.. Its been about 2 months now! UGGH!

I don't got my box that came along with my VCO phone. So if I packaged it up would it be alright and still get the CapTel phone? Do they got a contact email address that I can contact thru so I can get more information? Im excited to get this phone! Thanks for taking your time...

Since Im not on here often but do check my email addy please send the mail at [EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED]

Thanks a BUNCH!:type:
First of all, I'm not a girl. I'm a guy.

Second of all, how quick it would take if you get the captel phone depends on your telecommunications access program. Contact them, for more information.

Third of all, with which VRS did you apply for a videophone? You can contact their sales/outreach program. Also, you can apply for a videophone or webcam from another VRS as well. Sorenson VRS, Hands On VRS, Hamilton VRS and CSD VRS all have sales/outreach.

Last of all, my friend, who exchanged his old TTY for his new CapTel, had his TTY for many years, before he exchanged it. Do you think he still had the box?: of course not. However, for more information on the policy, please contact your telecommunications access program.
As for video-phone, I don't need or want one anytime soon. I love my privacy too much. :D
Privacy? Why do you feel you have a loss of privacy with a videophone?

First of all, I'm not a girl. I'm a guy.

Second of all, how quick it would take if you get the captel phone depends on your telecommunications access program. Contact them, for more information.

Third of all, with which VRS did you apply for a videophone? You can contact their sales/outreach program. Also, you can apply for a videophone or webcam from another VRS as well. Sorenson VRS, Hands On VRS, Hamilton VRS and CSD VRS all have sales/outreach.

Last of all, my friend, who exchanged his old TTY for his new CapTel, had his TTY for many years, before he exchanged it. Do you think he still had the box?: of course not. However, for more information on the policy, please contact your telecommunications access program.Privacy? Why do you feel you have a loss of privacy with a videophone?

Whoops I didn't know you were a guy! MY BAD!! You didn't ask me for my permission to post my PM on AD....

All in one - TTY and phone - I hardly using it, I prefer using SMS mobile cell phone and MSN.

For hearing customers, doctors, shopping, banks, etc - I rely on my husband to do it all for me!! (Awful habit I know:giggle: !!)

I hate the idea of giving a hearing person a headache of 2 phone numbers: The Tennessee Relay Service, then my personal phone number. It was such a waste of time until the myiprelay started issuing personal one-stop phone numbers.

How true.

I'm not a girl. I'm a guy.

Whoops I didn't know you were a guy! MY BAD!! You didn't ask me for my permission to post my PM on AD....
I did not intend to sound rude in my response. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have put a smiley face or something after it, so show you it was in good humor and not in ill feelings. Please do not harbor any ill feelings towards me. I would very much like to be helpful to you, as well as the other members on AD. Furthermore, I will be putting my face in my avater soon, so people will see I am a guy, as well as adding "Mr." to my signature.

As far as posting your PM on AD, I had no idea that I needed to ask your permission to post it. I've posted the PMs of other people on many other message boards before, and it was a matter of no consequence. In other words, everyone enjoyed the information I posted, in the past, on other message boards, when including a text from a PM. I did not mean to disrespect you in any way, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. The only thing about which I was concerned was your e-mail address, and that is why I removed it. I am glad that you noticed that, and I hope that helps you understand that I respect your privacy. Next time, I will ask before I publicly post a PM.

Also, I realize I misspelled "trade" in my subject. That is because I originally misspelled it in my PM to you. If you look in the subject line of my post, you will see that it had already been corrected. "Re: Re: Trande [(Trade)] your TTY for a CapTel".

I hope you enjoy the information. Also, did you contact your telecommunications access program and/or VRS sales/outreach?

Another thing to discuss regarding TTY--

I was told that I should keep my TTY for emergency calls-- when electricity goes out, or whatever reasons....
Since TTY is based on a "landwire" and it has a back-up battery that can perform calls...

(it happened to me once-- blackout in my home at nighttime when I was 11-years-old, I freaked out and called my mom... and I kept TTY on as my "light" because of the darkness)

Is this true?? That TTY should be kept for emergency calls (and 911) since it uses a landwire compared to VP etc which uses LAN/Ethernet (for internet)...

Is this true?? That TTY should be kept for emergency calls (and 911) since it uses a landwire compared to VP etc which uses LAN/Ethernet (for internet)...

Yes, that's true because TTY/voice phone line (landline) is best for emergency calls because VP connected to high speed internet can run into many problems and it's not reliable as a phone line also 911 dispatcher can pinpoint your location much quicker with the landline phone line. You can just dial 911 and leave the phone off the hook until the emergency comes in a few minutes without using the TTY.

No I dont have a TTY. I moved like 7 times in the past 7 years so I dont know where my TTY is now. Probably in a box with one of my ex roomies. I do use VP, sidekick and computer but after reading all of your posts, I am thinking of getting a TTY as a back-up. That would be the smart thing to do.

Back