Do you have a TTY?

Do you use a TTY at home?

• Yes

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 40.8%

• Total voters
I do have oldest tty here.. still alive very much!

Why need buying another awesome tty ?

until tty burn it out and will buy another new tty..
Pure ol'e simple!

I barely know any Deaf people who still use a TTY. Why keep a TTY anyway? Baduot is so slow, and you have to use "GA". A Hard-of-Hearing friend of mine got DSL and a videophone. I recently told him to ditch his TTY and get a CapTel. He traded his TTY in for a CapTel with his state's program. He absolutely loves it. He doesn't have to use "Go Ahead", and he can use STS (Speech-to-Speech) relay, for Hearing people who do not understand his voice. He can also be rest assured that he can access 911 quickly in case of an emergency, with his voice, rather than type on a TTY. He can also call his Deaf friends, who still use TTY, with relay, so it's not like he gave up anything.

CapTel also gives him freedom from difficult English. My friend knows ASL better than English, so if he reads something he doesn't understand, he turns his videophone off, and then he uses his CapTel to call himself with VRS. The interpreter says, "The person you're calling doesn't seem to be answering the videophone. Would you like to leave a video message?" He then leaves himself a message, and then he checks his e-mail to see what the message is in ASL. Getting that kind of freedom is impossible with a TTY.

How can you trade in a TTY for a CapTel? I got a TTY/VCO... Pm me okay! Thanks

TTY/VCO here~ I use online My IP RELAY instead of my tty/vco! its a pain in the butt when you have to keep saying GA blah blah!

TTY/text relay helps boost your English and reading skills. You'll never improve your English/reading skills if you use VP. It's not good to use signs on VP a lot and not exercise your brain for your English skills to communicate with people. I'm with my sweetheart often because we communicate in sign language so that's a help to keep our minds freshened up. That's my opinion. :)

In US, it called videophone and already released in last few years ago.

Yes, yes video phones - in AUstralia, we now have video calls on our mobile phones, which just started early in 2005, which I have two of them and it is fantastic to use, but expensive though, meh! We hope to get these VP's in AUssie if the government can give us the grant to use the new technology of the future, I know that the US - VP's has been around in the US few years ago.

I do have 2 TTY but I gave to my mom of my oldest tty cause she need it when we call on tty and I got my tty that my grandfather bought for me when I moved apt when I was 19 yrs old that he got me new tty so it still have it old tty need new one beacuse of " B " wont press to show up make me mad ! lol but still use it and still alive lol :lol:

yes i have tty at home but it is BROKEN waahh

have to get new tty for my parents anyway dang

I have a TTY but it broke for good 2 weeks ago, and I am not going to bother getting a new TTY, I would much rather get a Sidekick. I also have VP too anyway...so fuck TTYs!

I do still have my TDDs (I have 5- I have 3 different ones) and I was seriously considering giving them to deaf kids whose parents cannot afford Speed Internet service (for VP), but recently, my Sidekick II broke and we don't have DSL as of yesterday since we are moving... I thought I'd die without my SK2 and my computer and that was only for a day, LOL! I got my SK2 back today and am at my parents house checking my email. Thank God I still had my TDDs! Now I have decided to keep one, just in case!

What on earth did we do before we had all these fancy stuff! LOL

yes i still have tty and still connect to friends who i still keep in touch with and use tty for emergency for 911 so they can find me in case. i dont have vp as i live in country, haha.. :)

no i dont have tty since... i left it in Illinois somewhere. Eric has one but we dont use it anymore...

My tty is gathering dust somewhere in the apt...don't want to become too wired up that I become borg!! :lol:

I used VP and emails now. My sk pager disappeared so Im on hold on getting new pager.

We need more people on this poll to get a little more sufficent data on how many have TTY that's connected or not. Interesting, though.

yeah I have TTY but I don't use it that much anymore cuz I'm online most of the time why bother? ;)

I still got my old TTY, I had it since 1992 or 1993, it is working ok but when typing down, there are missing letters on the screen.

I have a TTY but it broke for good 2 weeks ago, and I am not going to bother getting a new TTY, I would much rather get a Sidekick. I also have VP too anyway...so fuck TTYs!

I have a Sidekick, too. :) It's very handy, especially if you have AIM or an AIM screen name - you can leave it connected when you're on the go and make outgoing TTY calls (free, too!) using My IP Relay.

I haven't had or used a regular TTY in years. LOL. My mother still has one for whenever I'm in the hospital (but hopefully I'm through with St. Vincent's for the time being!) or if I am in need of TTY access and won't have my Sidekick or a computer at my disposal.

I also have kids, who become my obedient telephone slaves - gives them more reason to be eternally cranky, it would seem. ;)

SMS is nice for sending to another SMS user. Still need the TTY for calling telephone people if it be relay or TTY to TTY

Back