Do you have a hearing dog?

Do you have a hearing dog?

• yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 32 80.0%

• Total voters
Well, I am actually happy to see the replies which confirm that I should be able to 'train' my dog if I ever get one. My son is sorta trained now in that when he is awake, he will tell me if someone is at the door. Sigh. A dog will let me know if there is a stranger in the house.....

uh... folks, I have hearing dog and to make this clear, I do not always rely on him. and do not have or use him as an excuse.

don't prejudice. now I'm offended to say anything more about values of having a GUIDE dog. plus, you guys never had one so I don't see the need to explain why anyway. (I think I know you, vampy. weren't you from RIT? you couldn't answer my question last time). and brian, don't blind people have ears too? why couldn't you say, oh they can use their ears ...? yes, we have eyes but we don't see what they hear.

and by the way, I don't rely on animals but they know I'm deaf and they do that, these and that.. well, in fact, YOU are using them too. ugh hypocrites.

Last edited:
Get a life ...... you all have hear/eyes/hands/legs ... dont need anything ....

no.. you're right, I don't. except for sun (work/play/exercise), food/water (survive to thrive), and bed.

I love my dog, no one must have the need to love someone/thing.

As a deafblind guide dog user, I choose to use a dog to increase my independence. While it is most certainly true that I don't *need* a guide dog, I choose to use one because I feel safer when crossing streets.

Sure, I could travel with a white cane, but I choose not to. With all of the driving distractions of traffic, there have been a number of times where my cane has literally been run over by drivers who don't heed the white cane law.

I'll take my guide dog any time over my white cane thank you very much.

Of course it's understandable for blind people need guide dog to help them to walk on the street and traffic etc... It's hearing dog, we referring to, not guide dog for blind people.

I know, I know, but everyone here does it so I guess it's normal for me nowadays. I shouldn't, you're right. Problem is, I can't help it.

Haha, that is so true. :D

The oven emits a high-pitched bunch of beeps when dinner is done, but I don't hear it all the time, especially if I'm not standing near the door.

Good point. I only have a mobile (cellular) phone, and I don't have a doorbell. Trying to get the missus to let us have one, but we're tight on money recently, so it's not a priority at the minute. Bah. :D

These are the type of things that should have government funding! Smoke alarms are a safety issue!!!!

These are the type of things that should have government funding! Smoke alarms are a safety issue!!!!
Hmm, you're right. It is a safety issue, but because I have not had my hearing checked by the NHS (I had mine checked privately because I've been waiting on the NHS list for so long, they basically refuse to see me because 'young people don't lose hearing' so they keep fobbing me off), I'm not 'legally hearing impaired'. :rl:

Of course it's understandable for blind people need guide dog to help them to walk on the street and traffic etc... It's hearing dog, we referring to, not guide dog for blind people.

I know. I was just giving my perspective as a guide dog user since Freckles happened to mention guide dogs.

for your information, hearing dog categorizes under guide dog and my dog could be so much more than being a 'hearing' dog. and what's more, he used to be a service dog for blind people.

I could get him for free, trained him myself then liscensed him for free so why not? so I could bring him with me wherever I need to go (conferences, jobs, schooling and internships) because you know not many places such as hotels, airplanes or trains would accept dogs. I'm not going to have him carried in a cargo - 5,000 pets that travelled in cargo died every year.

have you ever thought how would we see there's something behind the bushy bushes a quite few yards away? my dog saved two tiny kittens (with umbilical cords) otherwise I wouldn't have heard them bawling their lungs out walking back into the house and let them die in the puddles.

have you ever thought how would we see sirens behind a building or a speeding car behind the pick up truck? my dog saved my life otherwise I wouldn't have stopped before the reckless driver (in semi-front of police car) would have hit me in an opening shoulder.

have you thought how would we see smoke detector out in the hallway from bathtub insidie? because of landlord at that complex refused to install one, my dog was able to save all of our lives, otherwise I wouldn't have had time getting out into a robe and save half an ark (five cats). thanks to my dog I still have the five today, I love them so dearly.

have you ever thought how would we see a helpless kitten stucking behind a couch choking to death in time? my dog saved him otherwise he would have died strangling breathless in between wall and couch. it could be a child or your child I was babysitting. without my dog, I never will see that little sweet boy grown, becoming four years old today.

there are so much more from us, and others. you would have thought of some if you had one, you could learn so much having any kind of guide dog. he's not just my guide dog, my great fluffy friend too.

he says woof!

Last edited:
The correct term for a dog that guides the blind is dog guide. That's the term I should have used, but it's a common mistake people make especially when these dogs (meaning dogs that lead the blind) are frequently referred to by the general public as guide dogs and seeing-eye dogs. Since this discussion is related to hearing dogs, I will say nothing more about dog guides for the blind.

i do not have one but i am in the process of getting one

Why you may ask?

i have been deaf since i was four and i could hear fine until i was 16/17 i slowy started not to able to hear the things i could eg bird tweeting, my cousin's giggle( which is soo funny and sweet). i can't not hear anything without my hearing aids at all
and it;s qutie stressful if my parents go away for the weekend which means i have leave my hearing aids in all night or my sister will stay at home rather than her boyfriend house which i do find embrassing as my sister 17 and i am nearly 20
( yes i know they are alrams and that but i do not like them as it makes me nervous and on edge) and i am fed up people pushing me out of the way in shops thinking that i was rude, i not i just did not hear them

so i am hopeing that i will get my dog which will make everyone in my family realx knowing that if a smoke alram or burglar would go off the dog would alert me and hopfully make me gain my own self confiedent when i go out

ZoeyAnnx

Well if they have government funding, it should be for everyone. Again I feel like you are patronizing the deaf! :mad:

Thanks for the replies. As you can see, I am kinda confused about the whole thing. I think I decided last night to proceed w/ Paws w/ a Cause. Last night w/ the microwave burning a plate (I gots a thread on that one). A doggy would have barked at the microwave as soon as I asked him to help me find the burning plate. I don't wear my aids much after 6pm. My ears get tired. My family do not understand my need for a dog. They think I am being silly. I don't know. Maybe I am. I keep going back and forth. Anyway, eyes are not perfect. To be honest, when I drive and I see people pulling over, that's when I know an ambulance/cop is coming from my behind. So, I don't know.....

well, do what YOU think you need, not many ADees understand here either anyway. I think getting a dog is a good idea for you - it could do so many things for you and others than what technology can do. unless you aren't sure yet. have you thought about responsibility of having a dog? some people may feel it's a lot of work but 'labor of love' to some.

about dog barking, hearing programs for the dogs wouldn't train them to bark. they'll need to nudge, push you, your leg with their nose then run to wherever the sound is and back to you to guide. my dog has never barked in his life that sometimes people forgot he's there! :giggle:

good luck newidme with whatever you decide, please keep us posted.

*raises tha roof fer dogs*

DOGS.jpg

yeah, she's LOOKING at you in there, asking you that question in red bold words.

at least she doesn't care who did put you there.

*..snickers*

When I was little, my parents told me about the possibility of getting a hearing dog. I haven't because I had lived with my hearing family, at RIT and now here with hearing people who know I am deaf. I also like cats more.

Back