Do you have a hearing dog?

• yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 32 80.0%

• Total voters

NEWIDME

Reaction score
I just got my application in the mail from Paws with a Cause. I want a hearing dog to help me hear around the house. I need dog to alert me when the children let themselves outside, or cry. I need dog to alert me to fire or intruder....when the phone rings.....someone at the door. I am the only adult in the house, no spouse/boyfriend/room mate.

Do you have a hearing dog? What's it like to have one?

The sponsorship to breed/rescue, raise, train and place an Assistance Dog ordinarily exceeds $18,000.

can't afford that cost ... if you have find anyone to help you with funds to pay costly ....

Paws with a Cause pays for everything. This is Michigan. Maybe it's different in other states. Maybe this org is a michigan one only?

Oh and I mean Hearing dog that assists those who can not hear; specifically trained dogs to help us out.

yeah...my "hearing dog" would be as good at assisting a deaf person as he is at crocheting.

while the babies cried, burglars broke in and stole all your valuables, and the house burned down, he would circle around his bowl waiting for food and wondering why no one could hear his barks.

Thank you. I worry about it because I wouldn't hear someone break in. Also, we had a major fire that I wouldn't have caught had I not been there where it happened and was able to get out before anyone was hurt. I never realized how much I depended on my hearing ex before the divorce.

I have a hearing dog - Thank God! Im a single deaf mother with 2 young daughters. I would go to bed every night paranoid about possibility of break ins, fires, whatnot that could be happening..........since I got my hearing dog, my life has been much more peaceful.

But I do feel like I have three daughters - my dog goes EVERYWHERE with me. You have to be open minded about having a dog with you 24/7. Sometimes I get annoyed with my dog because I would like to be "free" sometimes, if you get the drift :giggle: But my dog is my life-saver.

Try Dogs for the Deaf, Inc - it is all free.

I was going to say.. Isn't the Dogs for the Deaf organization in Oregon free? You can get a dog placed in your home for free, but there is a long waiting list, like more than a year, maybe 2 years even.

I have thought of getting a dog for the deaf, but since I still live at home... eh. Maybe when I move out, I'll consider it.

But I do feel like I have three daughters - my dog goes EVERYWHERE with me. You have to be open minded about having a dog with you 24/7. Sometimes I get annoyed with my dog because I would like to be "free" sometimes, if you get the drift :giggle: But my dog is my life-saver.

:giggle: I have that problem now! Sometimes I just go in the bathroom and lock the door! :giggle:

A hearing dog is nice to have, but many dogs become pets really quick and stop working when there are kids around,,I had a beautiful hearing ear dog for 10 years up until he died.. I got mine thru Henderson Colorado..they send dogs out all over the USA,, so it is not limited to just one state,, I am a proud donor of the organization, and had the privilage to see how they work,,and met some of the Katrina dogs they had rescued to be trained ..they do amazing work and its a shame to see all their work go to a waste if people do not use the dogs they were trained for.
I have another dog now, but not a hearing dog, we rescued this lil fella from the humane shelter, couldn't resist him :D

I dont need hearing dog because I married a hearing man and have hearing son. I don't depend on them. I live in a house for many year, no alarm! I know that deaf people can do that without hearing dogs.

I got'em from International hearing dog inc. from Colorado about 13 years ago.. (Tonka is my dog's name). he does hear things around the house. he's trained to alert me when someone is knocking the door. or alarm clock ringing @ the mornings... not only that he's working dog.. he's also my best friend!.. I take him everywhere I go. I know my posting is'nt much. but I wanna share...:)

Edit....
I dont think he's trained to alert me if there's break in's, he'll probably be all confused. since he's not trained to do such thing... but I'm not too worried about it... really...

It would be nice to have a hearing dog, but I don't have one. I do have a dog at home but she is a pet, not train. I tried to get one but they said I have to have a kennel with the fence around the kennel and the run. My husband think that our dog who is a pet could help me around the house but funny thing is she only bark when someone comes over whether someone walks or came in by car. Other than that she is like a kid playing and running around the yard for happiness. She is a big dog. Oh, well, someday I will get one or maybe never get one. I have a hearing husband anyway. :giggle:

I don't have one or the need for a hearing dog. If there's a hearing cat then I'd go for it. LOL.

My cat sometimes lets me know that someone's at the door, and he wasn't trained. However, he knew I'm deaf.

Thank you for replying. I am not so sure what I am going to do anymore. My dad has a puppy, a brittany. My 4 yo loves the puppy soooo much! But Brittany's are expensive and we are living in a condo (no yard). I am going to put the whole thing on hold for now.

Back