Do you have a hearing dog?

• yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 32 80.0%

• Total voters
NEWIDME,

I sent you a pm.

As for the hearing dog part, I have one. Snickers is a spayed, female Akita-German Shepherd, eight years old and has been on duty since late-winter, early spring 2002. Snickers is a rescue from the Humane Society of Ramsey County-Saint Paul.

If anyone here would like to receive a picture of the two of us together, please feel free to pm me with your email address. By the way, when you do that, I don't release your email address or real name to anyone.

In addition, I have read where some think that a hearing dog has to be "certified." "Certified" by whom? I trained Snickers to respond to me regarding the sounds that I need to know about. I know there are deafs here in the Fargo, ND/Moorhead, MN area that don't like that or the fact that I'm an oral deaf and don't use asl much. Do you know why I don't? Because they won't talk to me. So, why should I continue learning asl when they won't talk to me anyway? That just doesn't make sense to me.

So, for those who are against hearing dogs because we go up to people and say, "pet my dog," that can't be further from the truth. People come up to me, requesting and, sometimes, demanding that they pet my dog. When they are told that Snickers is a hearing dog, they analize me and pop their chops in a response that really makes them look stupid (wow, you hear me just fine). :roll: They even want to know all about a hearing dog (never mind the fact that I do have errands to do or whatever and, if I did this to them, they'd be highly offended, especially for interrupting their business. :roll: If they want an education, there are several schools of higher learning nearby. Sorry for my sarcasm, but this is how I feel.

In addition, I don't sleep with my hearing aids in, nor do I pack a .9mm, which would be an option if programs that train hearing dogs get their way and force the ADA to require all hearing dogs to be "certified" through a program. Fat chance in hell I will even comply with it. Hearies have screwed us deafs over for centuries, now they want to "help" us by requiring program-trained hearing dogs and we can't train our own? Again, fat chance in hell I will even comply. And, many deafs, especially here on alldeaf.com, would welcome their intrusion with open arms. I don't have to name names, as they've already identified themselves.

As for the deafs that are adamently opposed to hearing dogs, that's fine; then don't come up to me signing and asking about my dog, because you will receive an oral answer. Seriously, if you want to give me an attitude, especially out in public because I have a hearing dog with me, then you'll get an attitude right back . . . and I won't even feel guilty about giving it back to you.

Technology will fail, then what will you have to lean back on? I'll gladly have a hearing dog any day instead of the technology.

I would like to have a deaf dog so he/she can understand me sign. ;)

A friend of mine from Puerto Rico, his friend has a deaf dog and never bark at all cuz he that dog can't hear.

I have a Hearing Ear Dog and just graduated from the Lions Club Foundation Of Canada where I got her 7 weeks ago. I don't understand why there is an issue here I don't know what I would do with out her as I am a late deafend adult. I have only been totally deaf since April 07 so its a huge life change and having an HED just makes thing a little better and gives me a sence of safety. Everyone is right in saying their not pets so that means nobody is to pet your dog not your kids, husband, wife and so on you get the picture because this can make them into a pet. They are a working dog to help make life better for you and they take allot of time and care themselves with walks, grooming, ear and teeth cleaning all these 1s a week. So make sure your ready for this commitment its not a free ride and a dog needs to be walked 4 to 6 times a day. My HED is trained for oral and sign commands and that is a standard if you remember the TV show Sue Thomas FBI well the real Sue received her last dog Katie from the Lions Foundation 5 years ago for both Hearing and MS. I really hope you understand dogs are limited to memory my Ember needs to alert me of these sounds / Door Knock & Bell , Phone Ring, Oven Timer, Alarm Clock, Smoke Detector, Fire Alarm, My Name Called, Baby Cry. So don't be expecting an alert to a break in or a car out in the street its just to much anyway I think I have babbled enough and I hope you think things through.
Take Care All Don

I wish, i could have one hearing or deaf dog. But, not now! maybe later, because i am still busy.

Back