Do you have a contingency plan?

I would agree with that assessment. First few days - mild chaos and confusion. If it prolongs to a week, some riots. Over a week - utter chaos. However - I'm not expecting "haiti riot" style cuz the National Guards will roll in. West Point nearby will take charge as well. I only hope that the government will step in quickly before SHTF by a week.

Malcolm Gladwell's theory applies quite well to this kind of scenario. It's the same theory (Broken Window Theory) that made NYC the safest city in USA.

If a high altitude EMP went off, there would not be enough troops to police everywhere. Also, those troops have family and their focus would be on protecting their families (remember the LEO's that deserted during Katrina?)

I am just playing devil's advocate here. Do you have an escape route from the city planned in the very unlikely event an EMP detonated?

Would you use major roads?

As for me ... I'd want to be far away from any large groups of people.

Well we have trailer with generator if earthquake hit hard here. as for water and foods, I used to save dried foods years ago and threw them away cuz they were outdated. Now I have to start all over again.

I think you just insulted every Southerners, German descendants and Eastern European descendants. LOL

Well - I am from the South, I am also of German and European ancestors. I guess that means I insulted myself, huh? :giggle:

Yes all of those things are very good to have. A contingency plan in the event anything goes FUBAR. A hurricane is the closest thing to how people would react comparatively with an EMP detonation.

Hurricane Katrina taught us that the government will try to disarm you - they did this in New Orleans. It taught us that there will be massive looting and a LOT of violence. Of course, this scenario would be played out where there are large numbers of people.

Having a contingency plan makes something that is "scary" not as scary if you don't have a plan.
Difference between Hugo and Katrina:

"Don't arrest anybody. Beat 'em. We have nowhere to put them." - Reuben Greenberg, former Charleston police chief, instructing officers about looters after Hurricane Hugo...

Donald O'Connor of Edisto Island shot a looter in the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo in 1989 while protecting the store he ran on James Island. He'd stay put in a storm, unless he felt his life was in danger. His home, like others along the coast, is built well enough to withstand a storm, he said. But no, he's not worried about looters.

"They know me around here. I don't think anybody would try anything with me," he said. "You're always going to have looters."

...Charleston Police Maj. Herb Whetsell was on the force during Hugo, when former Chief Reuben Greenberg all but announced vigilante justice to keep looters in check. Any looting that takes place tends to be at businesses and malls "where it's easy to get in, get out and be gone. People who stay behind will take care of themselves and their neighbors," he said.

Charleston.net

I prefer a bow over crossbow. Crossbow is difficult to reload and hard to use..... and dangerous especially for beginner IMO. I had a great opportunity to have a few lessons from a former US Olympic Archery coach. For hunting - it's best to have compound bow (easier, stronger) but I prefer recurve bow (a more traditional type but harder to use) ;)

in this kind of scenario - I'd go with compound.
Hubby had a recurve in his younger days.

If a high altitude EMP went off, there would not be enough troops to police everywhere. Also, those troops have family and their focus would be on protecting their families (remember the LEO's that deserted during Katrina?)

I am just playing devil's advocate here. Do you have an escape route from the city planned in the very unlikely event an EMP detonated?

Would you use major roads?

As for me ... I'd want to be far away from any large groups of people.

well - the government and military know how to prioritize. They would give a high priority for major metropolitan zone. NYC would be getting some military appearance. since my home area combined with NYC has #1 largest police force in USA... I'm sure there is a reasonable amount of public control in place.

Reba and you brought up a valid point that government may disarm us :mad2:

I think you just insulted every Southerners, German descendants and Eastern European descendants. LOL

LoL. Well I hear a lot of people in Florida have eaten gator tails but then many Southerners don't consider Florida as part of the South despite it's geographical location.

Speaking of disgusting foods, my big sister says that my grandmother Smith used to serve my brother and my big sister frog legs.

There's a fish store down the road that sells frozen frog legs and I know a restaurant that sells them where my big sister lives.

a pretty good book to read :)

patriots_cover.jpg

LoL. Well I hear a lot of people in Florida have eaten gator tails but then many Southerners don't consider Florida as part of the South despite it's geographical location.

I know a lot of Ukrainians and Germans around here eat it as part of a main source of meat.

Speaking of disgusting foods, my big sister says that my grandmother Smith used to serve my brother and my big sister frog legs.

There's a fish store down the road that sells frozen frog legs and I know a restaurant that sells them where my big sister lives.

11840_1154718160186_1594656448_30377061_1484027_n.jpg

I was actually tempted to buy these too...

Speaking of contingency plans, I should get shovels for sale cuz I got snowed in twice this year and I should check my first aid kit and other things. I like being prepared though I'm not a survivalist.

I like to keep about 2 weeks to 1 month worth of staples on hand. I should assess what else I need for likely emergency that I need for where I live. I'm no survivalist though.

For events like y2, I thought it prudent to buy a couple of weeks worth of food supplies and several gallons of water. I thought that the most likely scenario re Y2 was either nothing would happen or we'd have a few weeks of glitches so I prepared accordingly.

I thought that selling everything and buying a farm and stockpiling 2 years worth of staples and canned food was losing it.

I know a lot of Ukrainians and Germans around here eat it as part of a main source of meat.

11840_1154718160186_1594656448_30377061_1484027_n.jpg

I was actually tempted to buy these too...

Here's the interesting part: my dad's family is of English origin. My grandmother Smith is my dad's mom.

Speaking of contingency plans, I should get shovels for sale cuz I got snowed in twice this year and I should check my first aid kit and other things. I like being prepared though I'm not a survivalist.

I like to keep about 2 weeks to 1 month worth of staples on hand. I should assess what else I need for likely emergency that I need for where I live. I'm no

For events like y2, I thought it prudent to buy a couple of weeks worth of food supplies and several gallons of water. I thought that the most likely scenario re Y2 was either nothing would happen or we'd have a few weeks of glitches so I prepared accordingly.

I thought that selling everything and buying a farm and stockpiling 2 years worth of staples and canned food was losing it.

Speaking of Southerners (me - being one) when it snowed, everyone panicked. Milk and Bread was gone from every grocery store. :giggle:

2 snowflakes can cause mayhem in Atlanta :laugh2:

I never understood why milk and bread disappeared ...... milk sammiches???

Speaking of Southerners (me - being one) when it snowed, everyone panicked. Milk and Bread was gone from every grocery store. :giggle:

2 snowflakes can cause mayhem in Atlanta :laugh2:

I never understood why milk and bread disappeared ...... milk sammiches???
:laugh2:

Ha ha, I believe it. I live further up north of you but we sure do run out of milk and bread when we get snow reports.

Panhandle is Southern. :lol:

Hubby's grandfather in Michigan enjoyed eating frogs' legs. As a young boy, Hubby would catch the frogs around the lake for his grandfather.

Yeah... Vancouver and Victoria folks are like that with snow too, like today, while the Albertan me is busy smacking his head against the wall.

Panhandle is Southern. :lol:

Hubby's grandfather in Michigan enjoyed eating frogs' legs. As a young boy, Hubby would catch the frogs around the lake for his grandfather.

Rest of it ain't southern :lol:. My dad grew up in the panhandle though my history teacher wouldn't believe me when I told her that he hasn't lived in GA since he was 3 months old.

Back