Do you have a contingency plan?

We've seriously been looking into solar panels for our electricity. Previously the HOA didn't allow them in our neighborhood but they've changed the covenants.

There are also solar generators that allow you to live "off the grid."

We also have camping equipment, firearms, fishing gear, stored water,and bicycles for short-term emergencies. We know what it's like to live without electricity or water for a couple of weeks since we experienced Hurricane Hugo.

We have a wood-burning stove in our house. It was our only source of heat one winter when our heat pump died the day after Christmas. We try to maintain a good supply of firewood. In the South, that doesn't mean that we need too much. :)

No underground shelters for us. The Lowcountry water table is too high; we don't even have basements.

I made it thru the duck-n-cover 50's-60's.

Reminder: keep a good supply of your prescription meds on hand.

A good percentage of them won't even make it out of their high-rise buildings much less beyond the city limits.

I would agree with that assessment. First few days - mild chaos and confusion. If it prolongs to a week, some riots. Over a week - utter chaos. However - I'm not expecting "haiti riot" style cuz the National Guards will roll in. West Point nearby will take charge as well. I only hope that the government will step in quickly before SHTF by a week.

Malcolm Gladwell's theory applies quite well to this kind of scenario. It's the same theory (Broken Window Theory) that made NYC the safest city in USA.

So, nobody sees the benefit of a crossbow in such a scenario? :hmm:

Just have a good supply of arrows handy. ;)

I have a small "pistol" crossbow but I'm not skilled using it. Also have a blow gun for darts. :)

I prefer a bow over crossbow. Crossbow is difficult to reload and hard to use..... and dangerous especially for beginner IMO. I had a great opportunity to have a few lessons from a former US Olympic Archery coach. For hunting - it's best to have compound bow (easier, stronger) but I prefer recurve bow (a more traditional type but harder to use) ;)

in this kind of scenario - I'd go with compound.

Just have a good supply of arrows handy. ;)

I have a small "pistol" crossbow but I'm not skilled using it. Also have a blow gun for darts. :)

Yeah, my thinking was that, in such a scenario (breakdown of the social order), I'd want to quietly shoot my dinner. Not sure if that "pistol" would garner you a rabbit. :P

Yeah, my thinking was that, in such a scenario (breakdown of the social order), I'd want to quietly shoot my dinner. Not sure if that "pistol" would garner you a rabbit. :P
Probably not with me shooting it.

We do have a trap that has caught lots of squirrels, possums and coons in our backyard. We never ate any of them but in a pinch I guess we could.

I prefer a bow over crossbow. Crossbow is difficult to reload and hard to use..... and dangerous especially for beginner IMO. I had a great opportunity to have a few lessons from a former US Olympic Archery coach. For hunting - it's best to have compound bow (easier, stronger) but I prefer recurve bow (a more traditional type but harder to use) ;)

in this kind of scenario - I'd go with compound.

Problem with that, for me, is shooting a bow is practically a lifelong acquired skill. I don't believe today's crossbows are hard to reload as they have cocking mechanisms to make it easier to cock, say, a 175 lb pull, down to maybe 40lbs........I'd starve with a compound bow unless the "dinner" was a foot from my bolt. :lol:

for a person who is not a hunter - that's pretty dang hard to hunt for a rabbit. Deer sure but a rabbit? I doubt it. Trap's your best chance.

We do have a trap that has caught lots of squirrels, possums and coons in our backyard. We never ate any of them but in a pinch I guess we could.

oh dang - squirrel is pretty good. little stiff but good. We hunted with .22 Crosman air rifle powered by little CO2 tank. get the pellets with pointy end like this -

airgundepot_2096_12433137

Using air rifle for small games is a much much easier way to hunt. It's less messy. much cheaper to buy. and easier to use for non-hunter.

I didn't mean anything about you.....just thought maybe there wouldn't be enough oompfh behind a bolt coming out of that pistol crossbow.

Problem with that, for me, is shooting a bow is practically a lifelong acquired skill. I don't believe today's crossbows are hard to reload as they have cocking mechanisms to make it easier to cock, say, a 175 lb pull, down to maybe 40lbs........I'd starve with a compound bow unless the "dinner" was a foot from my bolt. :lol:

which is why compound bow was invented. It's so easy to use that you could do it after a week practice. but that's just my opinion that compound bow is lot easier & simpler to use than crossbow.

YMMV :)

I didn't mean anything about you.....just thought maybe there wouldn't be enough oompfh behind a bolt coming out of that pistol crossbow.

if an air rifle can do it, so can a pistol crossbow on small games. they're so delicate :aw:

(just make sure your arrow tip is sharp)

for a person who is not a hunter - that's pretty dang hard to hunt for a rabbit. Deer sure but a rabbit? I doubt it. Trap's your best chance.

Although, rabbits would be no problem if they don't move for a few seconds, it was just a manner of speaking when I said "rabbit" but, yeah, regarding larger game. I grew up as a hunter but that was a long time ago and I'm sure my shooting skills have waned. Here in California, there are a few places where wild pigs roam. They even have a limited season on them last I recall....

Although, rabbits would be no problem if they don't move for a few seconds, it was just a manner of speaking when I said "rabbit" but, yeah, regarding larger game. I grew up as a hunter but that was a long time ago and I'm sure my shooting skills have waned. Here in California, there are a few places where wild pigs roam. They even have a limited season on them last I recall....

oh! then you do have some hunting experience. ah no problem then. you'll be fine with whatever the weapon you pick. For small game like rabbit/squirrel, I'd take air rifle. For big game like deer, I'd take compound bow cuz I suck at hunting with rifle. It seems so..... impersonal :lol:

oh dang - squirrel is pretty good. little stiff but good.
Our trap is even better.

Our squirrels are plump because they eat my birds' seed.

My 13-year-old grandson recently cooked squirrel on a skewer over a campfire. He said it was OK. :lol:

At least he now knows how to kill one, skin it, and cook it.

Either way, I don't think the crossbow works for me. :lol:

oh! then you do have some hunting experience. ah no problem then. you'll be fine with whatever the weapon you pick. For small game like rabbit/squirrel, I'd take air rifle. For big game like deer, I'd take compound bow cuz I suck at hunting with rifle. It seems so..... impersonal :lol:
:lol: I guarantee you the "the seemingly impersonal/unfair" feeling would be ditched if you are looking at the beginnings of starvation. :lol:

Our trap is even better.

Our squirrels are plump because they eat my birds' seed.

My 13-year-old grandson recently cooked squirrel on a skewer over a campfire. He said it was OK. :lol:

At least he now knows how to kill one, skin it, and cook it.

lol!! @ your squirrels being plumped. perhaps I should do same! fatten it up first. :lol:

Back