Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

Silly, illogical post. Get rid of audism and the deaf child still CAN'T hear the birds sing, the wonderful sound of the waterfalls and perhaps someday the child's own baby's first cry.

Um so? I was born a female, that doesn't mean that I sit in a corner whining that I can't experiance what it's like to be male. We don't miss it in the first place. We can never experiance hearing as hearing.....just fake hearing.

Um so? I was born a female, that doesn't mean that I sit in a corner whining that I can't experiance what it's like to be male. We don't miss it in the first place. We can never experiance hearing as hearing.....just fake hearing.

A-freaking-men! We not missing ANYTHING!!!!

Although, I do wonder very much what is like have penis. :hmm:

Silly illogical post. Go ahead and ask the deaf child if he n she can hear the bird sing, the sound of the waterfall and/or laughter. For the child who is deaf, these pleasures of life are physically impossible without aids. Audism has nothing to do with physically impossible. I'm just being realistic, something you should try.

Again, why is it so important? I cannot hear like a hearing person. I don't experiance sound as a hearing person. SO freaking WHAT? I can't and don't understand it....and I don't really care. My friend Sophie doesn't understand her mom's joy at being with her girlfriend, b/c Sophie is straight. Yet we wouldn't say Sophie is missing out by being straight. (she does love Karen as a "stepmom"

I continue to remain optimistic that audism will one day be defeated so people don't feel the need to turn to medicine and all the risks it entails to "treat" something that is much better served without medical intervention.

and jillo, I do think that the pro cure people are neglecting to understand that we have NEVER cured a disabilty. I think ALL of the cures will be for late deafened people.....curing those with early or congential disabilty might have unforeseen problems. Maybe their disabilty is actually *gasp* confering an advantage!

and jillo, I do think that the pro cure people are neglecting to understand that we have NEVER cured a disabilty. I think ALL of the cures will be for late deafened people.....curing those with early or congential disabilty might have unforeseen problems. Maybe their disabilty is actually *gasp* confering an advantage!

Ummm, er... What are you referring to as a disability? If you mean audism, then you might be right!

I have no issue with my deafness, nor is it a barrier for me. I really wish my hearing aid would come in clear plastic so I can show off the inner workings, though! My best friend had that before, and it was cool! Maybe that's just because I am a nerd :P

Clear casing.. :hmm: that's a great idea !! :)

Fuzzy

to answer your question, YES... i do want to have deaf children, I would be thrilled if my children were born deaf, that is what I want!! would I be mad and not love my children if they were born hearing, no I would still love them with all my heart, but I want my children to be deaf.

Thank you!
another simple, straightforward answer :)

Fuzzy

Oh. curious what made you think about not able to hear a lot lately? what seems to be bothering you so much about not able to hear?

I had a HOH girlfriend from March '08 to Feb. '10. A deaf girlfriend from May '10-Jan '11. Now a hearing girlfriend from Jan '11 to present.

No problem with my deafness. I embrace it, but sometimes, I wonder if I want a deaf relationship or a hearing relationship.

I'm going to have Christmas with my family and my girlfriend's family, but after that, I'll have to look into myself and wonder if I want a relationship. I'm hating myself in general.

I have no problem with my hearing aids. However, I do not let my hearing impairment define me as a person. I used to have the over-the-ear kind up until 8th grade, where I got the inner ones that match my skin color. I used to show them both off, but when I started freshmen year, I got into the habit of covering them. :|

As a junior, I am still covering them because I want to fit right in with the hearing people, for I go to school among the hearing. I don't know anyone else who is like me. Most people don't know I'm hearing impaired until I tell them. :giggle:

I have no problem with my hearing aids. However, I do not let my hearing impairment define me as a person. I used to have the over-the-ear kind up until 8th grade, where I got the inner ones that match my skin color. I used to show them both off, but when I started freshmen year, I got into the habit of covering them. :|

As a junior, I am still covering them because I want to fit right in with the hearing people, for I go to school among the hearing. I don't know anyone else who is like me. Most people don't know I'm hearing impaired until I tell them. :giggle:

ooooooo....Nightlight, I actually have the solution to your problem! You're just like me. I had BTEs until I was 13, then I went to ITEs....thought I could hear but was mostly just speechreading. Then when I was beign evaluated for surgery in '96 the audi had me try on a BTE again...the difference is amazing! You'll be able to hear SO MUCH MORE!

Ummm, er... What are you referring to as a disability? If you mean audism, then you might be right!

Cheetah, I don't mean " Oh I'm so helpless, boohoo hoo, not hearing/seeing/walking/talking is SO horrible" type of disabilty. I mean Disabilty rights type of disabsilty. This is a school of thinking where the limitation isn't in of the disabilty but rather the arbitary limtations placed on that condition b/c of soctial biases.

I'm actually in the process of embracing my hearing loss. I've been deaf since birth and I was one of those kids who were forced to learn speech and be implanted at an early age. My speech is actually pretty good, but deteriorating. Why?

I haven't worn my CI in 2 years. I decided that since I was born this way, I'll just be deaf. I was meant to be deaf and I don't see anything wrong with it. I am a very silent person and absolutely insistent on writing down what I need. My boss at work even told me, "Deafies are only equal to hearies if they use their voice." That offended me greatly because I know of some complete "mutes" who are incredibly intelligent and far off intelligent than "regular hearies."

Deafies/hearies differ greatly because they both grew up in different cultures. Hearies think it's okay to implant and teach speech, mainstream them while the deafies are all about language, putting them in a deaf school, etc.

I was a child of hearies. The only thing I can tell you... I was raised mainstreamed. I just started learning ASL 6 years ago. Deafies assume that I'm an interpreter all the freaking time because of the way I sign.

I wish I was raised in a deaf institute. I was oral for the majority of my life just to please my parents.

Fortunately, I've noticed that my parents are more accepting of it. They used to ask me all the time where my CI was just so I could hear them hollering that it's dinner time. I started taking it off a few years ago... But now, the last time I saw them, it took them a week to just... ask where my CI is... I know it cost them about 4k. But this is me. My body and my life. I am forever grateful for them. It's just that I make choices, too. My mom FINALLY started signing to me 2 years ago and started saying, "I love you" in that ILY sign and she never did that before. I think they're really starting to realize that this is me. They gave birth to me. Accommodate me and love me for who I am.

I really think that my future will be a lot brighter now. And more loving, too.

I really can't wait to move home and have everything I've ever wanted... Love and a real family I never had.

It's true that time does heal all. Parents may be shocked and try to fix you at first, but they'd accept you eventually like mine did. It just hurt me a lot, but hey... It's okay in the end. <3

I'm actually in the process of embracing my hearing loss. I've been deaf since birth and I was one of those kids who were forced to learn speech and be implanted at an early age. My speech is actually pretty good, but deteriorating. Why?

I haven't worn my CI in 2 years. I decided that since I was born this way, I'll just be deaf. I was meant to be deaf and I don't see anything wrong with it. I am a very silent person and absolutely insistent on writing down what I need. My boss at work even told me, "Deafies are only equal to hearies if they use their voice." That offended me greatly because I know of some complete "mutes" who are incredibly intelligent and far off intelligent than "regular hearies."

Deafies/hearies differ greatly because they both grew up in different cultures. Hearies think it's okay to implant and teach speech, mainstream them while the deafies are all about language, putting them in a deaf school, etc.

I was a child of hearies. The only thing I can tell you... I was raised mainstreamed. I just started learning ASL 6 years ago. Deafies assume that I'm an interpreter all the freaking time because of the way I sign.

I wish I was raised in a deaf institute. I was oral for the majority of my life just to please my parents.

Fortunately, I've noticed that my parents are more accepting of it. They used to ask me all the time where my CI was just so I could hear them hollering that it's dinner time. I started taking it off a few years ago... But now, the last time I saw them, it took them a week to just... ask where my CI is... I know it cost them about 4k. But this is me. My body and my life. I am forever grateful for them. It's just that I make choices, too. My mom FINALLY started signing to me 2 years ago and started saying, "I love you" in that ILY sign and she never did that before. I think they're really starting to realize that this is me. They gave birth to me. Accommodate me and love me for who I am.

I really can't wait to move home and have everything I've ever wanted... Love and a real family I never had.

It's true that time does heal all. Parents may be shocked and try to fix you at first, but they'd accept you eventually like mine did. It just hurt me a lot, but hey... It's okay in the end. <3

I was real glad to hear your message, especially the last three paragraphs. All the best yo you!!

ooooooo....Nightlight, I actually have the solution to your problem! You're just like me. I had BTEs until I was 13, then I went to ITEs....thought I could hear but was mostly just speechreading. Then when I was beign evaluated for surgery in '96 the audi had me try on a BTE again...the difference is amazing! You'll be able to hear SO MUCH MORE!

Um, that's interesting. :O

Lanapoo!!!!! I feel for you! The problem with oralism is that it assumes that oral skills are enough to be able to assimulate into the hearing world. They DO give you some access to the hearing world....but not complete and unfettered access. I would have a little less beef with oralism if it had the guts to admit that while oral skills are very useful, there is ALSO a lot of value in the Deaf community, and learning ASL as a second language. I really do think that the oral experts and theorists do not realize that it's not the '60's anymore, and that schools and society has changed. In the old days, yeah oral only and mainstreamed kids were thought of as the smart kids....but now we get lumped in with special ed in the mainstream and fall through the cracks. Also the typical suburban mainstream school is NOT a very accepting place. God, I wish so badly that the theorists(especially the auditory verbal old bats) could spend a day in the life of an oral mainstreamed kid....they would understand
Lan....would you be OK with oral training if it was more designed like ...say a kid goes off to oral preschool and kindergarten while being very carefully monitored for significent delays, and if kids started learning ASL as a language in say first grade?
I also feel for you about the family....my family is nice and all....but they are SO CLUELESS...So completely and utterly clueless...no wonder I consider Nancy my second mom.....(and I told her I wish she was my real mom)

I loved to hear that you have found a way to live that suits you.

Having a CI or HA that works half way is not pleasant sometimes. And mainstreaming is not pleasant at all. I agree.

Back