Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

I think I was in middle school when I finally demanded to not go to speech therapy any more. By that time I realized that speech therapy was only for me and no one else. I became very aware of how different I was to everyone else and i was tired of being different. I do recall in elementary school questioning speech therapy, but at that time I was questioning everything.

Interesting posts.

I stopped with my speech exercises in the 4th grade because it wasn't necessary to continue. My parents agreed. I was already doing a fantastic job even when I was in the third grade. It was a realization I was doing just fine. And never looked back.

Deaf Power.

deaf+power.gif

Haha that's pretty awesome.

you calm down please smithtr, i coming to you and give you hug with kiss :kiss: ignoring them ok? me full deaf 100 percent too. i am loving and appreciate to wonderful supportive deaf world and meeting many deafs same background. you not need complain, i am have no speech too. i cannot talk voicing, i only asl!!!! do not let people forcing you speech therapy. my parents deaf taught me not need be try fitting to hearing world and talking like hearing. they wanting me be not changes myself, they encourage me be link my deaf culture. audism need be TERMINATE!!!!!!!

I do better lots of patient and calm enjoy balance to learn it! I want to neutral I learn it pleasure to change to effort! I respect to member AD! I want to help people people want to change your life won't

I do better new life new day 1 day! I am focus on new life successfully on work plan final on best struggle on how I am support on buidling to lots of focus best to strength help better enjoy!!

I want to enjoy love communication and positive!
Great :) I am pleasure to kindly! I am very want to positive wisdom want do to be calm,! I want to help you :K I focus myself change personal btw!I d o effort to supportive help you calm down reduce seems better!
hug :) I am pretty good better down reduce I am work hard effort lots patient and humble accept! reason worth positive focus on value Positive good heart and worth strength lots of your heart and strength faithful! i can encourage your people! I can help you better I want to wisdom your people! I want to people resolve I want to lots of enjoy love positive listen enjoy positive and joyful good wisdom! :D

thank Dogmon :)

:wave no problem, Travis
you are one of the most encouraging people I know - strong encourage you!

MyNameIsNO -:thumb:

Jillio and DC, I agree and think it's so important to continue to make the connections and see the sociological implications of what that means-

No, but I'd like to!*

I'd like to be able to embrace my hearing loss and just be me. To accept that hearing loss is (and always will be) a part of me. To be less self-conscious about my hearing and be more confident about it!

Hoping this is the best way to go... don't want to be embarrassed about it no more!
That's where I'm headed baby!... (hopefully) :)

I dropped speech therapy in the middle of 8th grade, mostly because I absolutely did not like the speech therapist there. just.. ugh! Joined the middle school choir instead. Haven't gone back to speech therapy since!

But, with all fairness, Rolling7 only asked if anybody WANT for their children to be born blind or deaf - well DO YOU?
I know I don't,
because I know how I struggle with my deafness/HoH even if I accept myself as I am
-
but of course that doesn't mean I wouldn't accept my child IF they
were born deaf, blind, or with whatever deformities because I absolutely would.

And I think nowadays only some out of mind severe psycho bible thumpers
would believe the being born disabled in any way would be due to sin -
an utterly ridiculous notion!

Fuzzy

to answer your question, YES... i do want to have deaf children, I would be thrilled if my children were born deaf, that is what I want!! would I be mad and not love my children if they were born hearing, no I would still love them with all my heart, but I want my children to be deaf.

I want my child to be happy, confident, and productive whether or not she can hear.

If I have a deaf child (not likely, I'm 28 and still haven't remarried yet), then I will be just as happy as I was when I had my DD.

Hearing status isn't an issue, it's the audists who are the issue!

I was told back when my kids were 5 & 6 (I think) that they had a hearing loss. I was not upset or dismayed. What dismayed me more was to know that it was a hereditary issue and I was not aware that what I had was able to be passed on. I think, my having gone through my hearing loss journey and then my deaf journey has made the transition easier for my children. Their latest test shows that daughter has a moderate loss and speech recognition is still her worst area and son is in the severe and close to profound area. They both need HA's, but have chosen not to have them and gave very good explicit reasons why they made their decision. Everyone was impressed with their reasoning and told the kids (16 & 17) that they were proud that they were embracing their hearing loss.

I have no issue with my deafness, nor is it a barrier for me. I really wish my hearing aid would come in clear plastic so I can show off the inner workings, though! My best friend had that before, and it was cool! Maybe that's just because I am a nerd :P

I have no issue with my deafness, nor is it a barrier for me. I really wish my hearing aid would come in clear plastic so I can show off the inner workings, though! My best friend had that before, and it was cool! Maybe that's just because I am a nerd :P

It might be more interesting if it had gears and pullies that really work. Not sure a CMOS chip is all that fascinating to watch it working. :aw:

It might be more interesting if it had gears and pullies that really work. Not sure a CMOS chip is all that fascinating to watch it working. :aw:

bwa hahah! I did see a hearing aid online that was plated in gold and diamonds. If that is possible, why not gears and pulleys?! :laugh2:

I was told back when my kids were 5 & 6 (I think) that they had a hearing loss. I was not upset or dismayed. What dismayed me more was to know that it was a hereditary issue and I was not aware that what I had was able to be passed on. I think, my having gone through my hearing loss journey and then my deaf journey has made the transition easier for my children. Their latest test shows that daughter has a moderate loss and speech recognition is still her worst area and son is in the severe and close to profound area. They both need HA's, but have chosen not to have them and gave very good explicit reasons why they made their decision. Everyone was impressed with their reasoning and told the kids (16 & 17) that they were proud that they were embracing their hearing loss.

Kristinia, that is a VERY healthy attitude to have! Sometimes I see on my HOH listserv, parents whining that their kid is HOH?!?!?! ANd they go on and on abt how it might have been caused.....I'm like "it happened! You don't harp on and on about if you were born a boy vs a girl!"

Back