Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

doesnt mattering. i does know many deafs not upset they cannot heard music etc. they satisfication live in silent world of deafness and they has other thing for make them happy. not need hearing things for happiness

Yeah, he asked me about the first part. Speech never came up. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

That the next logical thought of being teased about your speech is to think that if you could speak like everyone else, you would not get teased.

(My kids grew up to be very civilized, in case anyone wonders. )

There is nothing the person who lost their hearing or born deaf or hard of hearing will never hear the "normal" hearing. She or he may heard something but it is very faint when it come with mild or severe hearing loss. That is why we need to accept deafness and live with it for the rest of our lives. Hearing aids and CIs are not able to help them hear sound clearly and it is always noises often. With CI, I learned that they only hear like a robot sound which is not normal hearing. They can hear sounds that they can make out but not that clearly and won't be able to hear that far if you are talking about birds singing or the waterfall. They need to come close up enough to hear noise but not clearly. You just can not bring "normal" hearing the way you want deaf child or hard of hearing child to have a normal hearing. But the way you say that you want and wish for the deaf child to hear normal. That will never happen.

There have been soooo many medical advances over the years that I hesitate to say never especially if you happen to be talking about a baby born now.

That the next logical thought of being teased about your speech is to think that if you could speak like everyone else, you would not get teased.

(My kids grew up to be very civilized, in case anyone wonders. )

Ah, got it now.

Normal human hearing range is about 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Dogs go up to 100 kHz

Dogs are hearing TONS of stuff we cannot. Do you realize there are so many other sounds you are not enjoying now because you have never heard them? Same goes for deaf children. Do they stop enjoying things because they cannot hear them the same way?

You know, when dogs take over the planet we're all going to be wearing hearing aids...

There have been soooo many medical advances over the years that I hesitate to say never especially if you happen to be talking about a baby born now.

Normal hearing? Never happen. I stick my gun here. :roll:

Medical science will be devoting their research dollars to fatal disease. Childhood cancer takes priority over hearing loss. As well it should. Childhood cancer takes lives. Deafness does not.

Medical science will be devoting their research dollars to fatal disease. Childhood cancer takes priority over hearing loss. As well it should. Childhood cancer takes lives. Deafness does not.

I have no argument with what the priority is and should be but to say never? Over the years some things have even been solved by accident when trying to do something else. I also feel sure that there are some research dollars devoted to hearing issues.

I have no argument with what the priority is and should be but to say never? Over the years some things have even been solved by accident when trying to do something else. I also feel sure that there are some research dollars devoted to hearing issues.

Only in regard to artificial technology. That is where the money is. CI manufacturers and HA manufacturers. Auditory issues are not a big subfield in medical research.

I agree. Never say never. I prefer to remain opptimistic that there will be major advances in the future for those that want them

I continue to remain optimistic that audism will one day be defeated so people don't feel the need to turn to medicine and all the risks it entails to "treat" something that is much better served without medical intervention.

I continue to remain optimistic that audism will one day be defeated so people don't feel the need to turn to medicine and all the risks it entails to "treat" something that is much better served without medical intervention.

Oh I agree with this too. No one should be made to feel the "need" to turn to medicine

Me too. The biggest issue deaf people face is not deafness, it's audism and ignorance and no amount of auditive technology can overcome that.

Um....... I thought it was clear. I did not want a hearing baby. I was wanting a deaf baby. I would have never broke into tears when I found I had a hearing baby.

But whatever, don't get too worked up and break something.

There :)
was that so hard :)

Thank you!!

(crying happy tears ) ;)

Fuzzy

I'm not lol'ing at some of the hypocrisy on this thread. :(

I have asked that when my kids were young and teased me about my speech.

I didn't have horrible parenting, and I was a good parent also.

I doubt I am the only one.

You not! I ask same thing. My mom never win mothering award, but she not horrible example poor parenting either. I think is natural ask. I remember ask why I not have brown skin like my friends, why I not have penis like my dad, why I wear glasses unlike anyone my family, etc etc.

Interesting. Never came up with my kid. Maybe a different degree of focus on speech.:dunno2:

You make your son go speech therapy, Jill?

Back