Do you experience your pets with Alzheimer?

Maintaining Your Cat's Health

You can maintain your cat's overall health in two important ways:1) schedule an annual preventive visit (including shots and an examination) with your veterinarian as well as other visits as needed; and 2) perform daily home examinations—petting and health care go hand in glove.

* Do a nose-to-tail checkup every time you cuddle with your cat on the couch. Call your veterinarian if you detect any abnormalities during these regular checks. Start with the head. Are your cat's ears clean and pink? Do they give off an unpleasant odor? Have mites appeared as a black, waxy mess inside the ears? Are the eyes bright, clear, focused, and free of discharge? Are the gums pink and the teeth clean? Has tartar appeared along the gum line? Is your cat's breath inoffensive? Don't check a cat's nose to see if it's cold and damp—contrary to myth, this is not a sign of health.

Proceed to a neck-to-tail inspection. Feel your cat's body for lumps, bumps, puffiness, sores, and any irregularities. Also look for flea dirt (which resembles black pepper and turns red when wet), scratches, and parasites. Be sure to check behind the ears, between the toes, and down the entire length of the tail.
* Next, treat your feline companion to a good brushing. Rubber curry brushes are excellent at removing dead skin cells and loose hair. Fine-toothed metal combs are specifically designed to lift fleas out of the coat.

It's important to brush your cat daily to remove as much loose hair as possible. When cats groom themselves, they ingest a great deal of hair, which is often vomited out as hairballs. If your cat brings up hair, talk to your veterinarian to evaluate the situation and find out about hairball remedies.
* Keeping your cat's claws clipped is an important part of grooming. If not kept at the proper length, a cat's claws can actually grow into the paw pads, so attend to the claws weekly. If you have never trimmed a cat's claws, have your veterinarian show you how. Briefly, you should snip off just the sharp tip (about an eighth of an inch) of each claw. Do not clip into the pink section of the nail, where a blood vessel and nerve endings reside.

Often, people believe declawing is the only way to address inappropriate scratching. However, it can be a painful procedure for your cat, and it is almost always unnecessary. Cats can be easily trained to scratch only in appropriate areas, such as well-placed scratching posts.
* All cat owners should have at least one book on cat care (recommended by a veterinarian) that includes a section on emergency first aid. Home care alone is not appropriate in most cases of serious illness or injury; there are also some emergency procedures that could keep your pet relatively comfortable on the way to the veterinarian. Familiarize yourself with emergency procedures before an emergency happens.
* Never give your cat any medications, including aspirin, without the advice of your veterinarian. Many common human drugs (like acetaminophen [Tylenol]) are poisonous to cats.
Maintaining Your Cat's Health | The Humane Society of the United States

It will tell something wrong with cat or dog if their nose are dry. I check Sussi´s nose... It is still wet which mean is she has no problem to smell anything but the problem is her memory loss. She have no interesting to anything except butter and milk.
A moist (not wet) nose on a cat is healthy but it doesn't indicate whether or not the sense of smell is functioning. Much of the cat's sense of smell happens inside the mouth, in the Jacobson's Organ, and how the brain responds to that.

Your vet has probably already informed you that milk is not healthy for cats, especially when it gives them diarrhea.

Yes, that´s right... I noticed that Sussi have mud on her mouth as she tried to get mud out of plants to "rub" her mouth... until I found out that she get mud from plant to rub her teeth to aviod pain... Interesting.
That might soothe her pain but you have to be careful that she doesn't get an infection from the mud.

Of course, your own vet can give you the best information.

First of all, I want to say that I am very sorry about your Jasper and know how you feeling. My hubby & I adopted 6 weeks old Sussi from farmer few months before our 1st year wedding anniversary in 1986. I can image it´s very hard for us to let her go if the vet tell us the time to put her sleep.

I search the website to find out either the pets do have form of Alzheimer diease... I found the interesting link...

Senior Cat Can Suffer From Alzheimer's Disease

We remind her about her meal time... but she didn´t forget her favorite is butter and milk... that´s all.

Thank you, Liebling..Jasper was special to me because I took care of him
after my dad died...it was about 6 months later Jasper got sick and died..
weird.
Wow, that is interesting that pets do get a form of Alzheimer like humans
do..amazing! Sounds like your cat, Sussi has that, aww. I guess you
have to help her to remember to eat whenever its time to eat. I didnt know
that cats like butter, but thats good as it is soft food and its easy on
teeth. Might try the cottage cheese? Jasper liked that too, so might have
her try that?

Aw poor kitten cat.. Thanks for showing these pictures, I've seen that on a dog before but it was on TV...

How's she's doing today? ..

Fine, she has memory loss... She walk like normal and can go to basement to make her business (at litter box) herself... but just foods... she forget her meal time... We have to remind her...

Today Sussi has no hungry as the same as 2 other cats ... I guess it could be because of Kim...?

I'm not sure if RR told you but Panther has another liter of kittens and one of the kitten looks exactly the same color fur as Sussie here...I'll post a picture of them later sometimes in another thread...

:eek3: Granny again.... I didn't know that you and RR are grandparents of furkids again... :eek3: I can't wait to see the pictures of kitten... Panther is a such beautiful cat with long black hair.

Reba, thank you for interesting link... I appreicate it very much.

Here link, I would like to share about shots in my post of last year.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-pets/32106-vaccinations-needed-not.html

Yes the vet taught me how to take care of cats and how I can tell their symbol etc. If it doesn't work up to 3 days then check with the Vet.

Yes, we brushed our cats everyday to aviod their hair to everywhere. They loves it except Kim. Kim won't let anyone to brush her except me... also Fine-toothed sometimes.

The vet don't like us to cut cat's claw (nail). We let her to do for us... It cost us nothing.

Accord your link
Often, people believe declawing is the only way to address inappropriate scratching. However, it can be a painful procedure for your cat, and it is almost always unnecessary. Cats can be easily trained to scratch only in appropriate areas, such as well-placed scratching posts.

Yes I know. All of my cats don't have declaw. Declaw are banned in Europe countries and other many countries. Train cats to scratch the posts is not hard work.

I used http://www.petshop.de/prodpics/3/10787g.jpg on cats to avoid to vomit from hairballs.

A moist (not wet) nose on a cat is healthy but it doesn't indicate whether or not the sense of smell is functioning. Much of the cat's sense of smell happens inside the mouth, in the Jacobson's Organ, and how the brain responds to that.

I find interesting after read your link about Don't check a cat's nose to see if it's cold and damp—contrary to myth, this is not a sign of health. I was like wow because the vet taught me how to know cat's symbol is check their noses... not just their noses but their movement...

Your vet has probably already informed you that milk is not healthy for cats, especially when it gives them diarrhea.

Yes I aware that the milk is not good for cats but once a week is okay. It's horrible smelly at their litterbox... :ugh3: My all cats love milk or cream but they have it at Sundays only for treat. They have daily water and one milk or cream in morning at their breakfast.

That might soothe her pain but you have to be careful that she doesn't get an infection from the mud.

She did with it several months ago and okay with her... I would take her to the vet if something wrong with her... but she doesn't but lump (see the pictures). The vet examined her from head to claw including eyes, ears, tail, etc and said that Sussi is healthy but just lump... and said that it's good tumor - no operation necassary because she is old.

Of course, your own vet can give you the best information.

Yes, I would ask my vet for advice if I am unsure.

Thank you, Liebling..Jasper was special to me because I took care of him
after my dad died...it was about 6 months later Jasper got sick and died..
weird.
Wow, that is interesting that pets do get a form of Alzheimer like humans
do..amazing! Sounds like your cat, Sussi has that, aww. I guess you
have to help her to remember to eat whenever its time to eat. I didnt know
that cats like butter, but thats good as it is soft food and its easy on
teeth. Might try the cottage cheese? Jasper liked that too, so might have
her try that?

cottage cheese? Interesting... :eek3:

Yeah Sussi love butter like crazy... She have small piece of butter once or twice a week, not too much... smelly... I didn't know that the cats like butter either... I have cats all my life and never see that cats like butter until we adopted Sussi in 1986. We were shock when we saw Sussi lick and ate half of the whole butter when she was kitten...

I noticed her health situation begin worst soon after death of Kim, my 3 years old cat last September 2007.

I check her with the Vet few weeks after death of Kim. She said that Sussi feel down and miss Kim´s company. I was like WHAT because I know they doesn´t get along well... Sussi got temper when Kim teased her... I was like Ohhh and ookaaay... She agreed that it´s alzheimer because of memory loss. We have to carry her to her meal time...

We tried do anything to keep her up with other 2 cats... no work... She started to not bother to eat... We are the one who remind her about her meal time... We carried her to her meal time... she eat less and less now... She lost a lot of weight and vomit a lot... which is not normal. We brought her to the Vet again for the check. Her small tumor (see the picture) AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - Do you experience your pets with Alzheimer? was remain unchanged. Sussi got drops to keep her eat normally.

It improves.... but it´s back again last week... more vomit... vomit... until we spot her large wound lump today - it look like that Sussi bite her lump to bleed...or what? We alarmed the Vet per fax. We got reply quickly and drove there with Sussi.

Bad news... :tears:

The vet said that it´s bad tumor. The cancer eat all in her organs, that´s why she lost a lot of weight. She check the tumor and said that it will go big hole within next week to 3 weeks time and will die normally and advised us to check her tumor until it goes big hole until next week then put her sleep to save her suffer. The vet sprayed lump to prevent from bite to make it hole... but it still won´t solve - her life will not remain up to 3 weeks time... We have to prepare for it... :tears:

It look like that she can´t reach to her 22nd birthday this July 2008. It´s really hurt to hear bad news from the Vet at few hours ago.

I already took a picture of Sussi´s tumor wound but my son took wire... I don´t know where he placed... I will tell him when he is back then I want to show the pictures of her tumor to here when I get wire to get diatal camera into the computer.

I understand how you feel completely. I have a several of my pervious cats, she had it too.

It did hurt me a lot. :(:(

I'm really sorry what's happen to your percious Sussi. :hug:

:tears: I am so sorry but I am sure you and your family have a wonderful years with her since you got her. Keep the memory alive in your heart. :hug:

I'm very sorry that your kitty isn't doing well. :( I know that it will be a difficult decision to make about her final days but I trust you will do what's best for her. :hug:

Aww that's so sad. :( I'm so sorry to hear that your cat has a tumor, losing a part of the family is never easy, I always think pets are very much a part of the family, I was so down when my hamster was put to sleep, some people thought I was crazy to be this upset. So, I do understand how you feel, it must be so hard to prepare for your cat's death, I never want to watch that or be prepare, I can't imagine being in your place right now. Hang in there, and be strong. It'll get harder before it gets better. :hug:

Aw Lieblingie :tears: ...

I'm so sorry to hear about Sussi's health, it sad to hear that her tumor had come back and only have three weeks to live. I feel so bad that as my heart ached for her.

It's never a good feelings to lose a pet. My prayers are with all of you inculde Sussi, and I know you will do what is best for her.

:hug: If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, ya know where to find me!

aww i am sorry lieb hugs
Sussi is in my prayer smile

i have been through myself, my cat did had lump in his jaw but he died natural from the infections in his jaw.

Sorry your cat not doing well due to old age. I know the feeling my dog Kasey was put to sleep because of her old age and her health was rolling down the hill. It was the most painful desicion I had to make to put her to sleep and she been on many medications don't always help her get better. I decided to let her go and be free of pain. So, to this day, I still think about my baby Kasey. I have another dog to be concern about right now because he is getting old too. Josh my small shetland sheepdog is almost 17. He having back problems and he is always tired. But, good thing he is still alert and active in other ways. He is now being put on senior diet food. :)

Oh Liebling,
I'm very sorry to hear bad news regarding Sussi.
Enjoy every minutes you have left with her. Sussi will let you know when it's time.

Now I just realised I'm not looking forward to watching old age stuff happen with my cat when it's time.

:hug:

:ty: for support posts :hug: back to you all.

Cheri, oh yes I remember about your hamster Marie. Yes it's hurtful to know that your beloved one have to go.:hug:

Angel, yes true - it's no good feeling to lose a pet. We have Sussi for almost 22 years. We adopted 6 weeks old kitten at farm few weeks before our 1st wedding anniversary. :tears::hug:

GarnetTigerMom, I'm very sorry about your Kasey :hug: wow, Josh is 17 years old. It's good to know that you take care of him well when you know it's not very easy.

I got wire from my son to connect from digatil camera to computer then you will see the picture of Sussi later.

At first I thought Sussi bite her tumor lump to bleed itself until I withnessed for a first time yesterday. Danny, my oldest son hurried to get us to see what and how Sussi did as she sat on Alan, my youngest son's lap. Alan cried when he tried to stop Sussi from EATING open wound tumor lump. Sussi hissed and bite Alan. Alan cried to see what and how Sussi feel good when she eat her tumor lump more and more. She EAT her OWN flesh... My hubby stopped her and carried her back to our living room and tried to make her something mind off... Get her favorite milk and dried food... Sussi enjoyed to eat it... On next day, this morning she got big vomit. My both boys said Sussi should put sleep to save her suffer pain to die. That's what the Vet told us that the hole will go big within next week. If it's really big hole then have to put her sleep. It look like that Sussi's tumor lump goes big hole within few days later...? If yes, we have to let her put sleep. :tears:

I tried with ImageShack® - Image Hosting but it doesn't working anymore. :( so I use AD's Manage attachment.

You can see the picture of Sussi before and after. Those after picture, I took last Saturday. :(

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 33
1. The picture, I took last Saturday. You can see the picture of small 'black' hole that's how Sussi bite until bleeding... I thought she bite which really is she EATING her own flesh.

2. Lose her weight... Cancer eats in every of her organs.

3. & 4. The vet sprayed silver on her tumor lump to make sure that she won't touch her tumor lump... but the Vet did warned us that the spray doesn't alway works because of her alzheimer and old age... no taste feeing. She was right that Sussi ATE it yesterday.

*Click each picture then you can see big picture*

Attachments

• konfirmation 418.jpg
    konfirmation 418.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 29
  • konfirmation 422.jpg
    konfirmation 422.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 26
  • konfirmation 440.jpg
    konfirmation 440.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 28
  • konfirmation 441.jpg
    konfirmation 441.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
1. The picture, I took last Saturday. You can see the picture of small 'black' hole that's how Sussi bite until bleeding... I thought she bite which really is she EATING her own flesh.

2. Lose her weight... Cancer eats in every of her organs.

3. & 4. The vet sprayed silver on her tumor lump to make sure that she won't touch her tumor lump... but the Vet did warned us that the spray doesn't alway works because of her alzheimer and old age... no taste feeing. She was right that Sussi ATE it yesterday.

*Click each picture then you can see big picture*

Yes, I seen the pictures, poor Sussi, it sure breaks my heart to see her this way. :tears:

Is she suffering so much now that the cancer is spreading and eating up all her organs?

I see the differences of before and after picture of Sussi, awww, I'm broken heart over her. :(

Aww poor kitty, I'm sorry I'm a catlover I cannot look at these picture anymore, it's making me cry. :tears:

Back