• I'm not deaf and I care a little

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I'm not deaf and I love music in ASL

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
Signmark.

And who is their Label? My point is that anyone can sing/sign their own song but we are talking about using ASL on other peoples works that have a wide market (i.e. popular, c.w., rock, etc.) and trying to keep the original meaning of the song when translated into ASL. Take the opposite of this with your group Signmark. If this group is totally ASL, would a translation into english be pure to their meaning? I bet not.

And who is their Label? My point is that anyone can sing/sign their own song but we are talking about using ASL on other peoples works that have a wide market (i.e. popular, c.w., rock, etc.) and trying to keep the original meaning of the song when translated into ASL. Take the opposite of this with your group Signmark. If this group is totally ASL, would a translation into english be pure to their meaning? I bet not.

It would behoove you to use Google. He's a Finnish Deaf hiphop artist with Warner Music. He was in the Eurovision competition one time.

There's a DJ in Iceland that uses sign language alongside his electronic works as well. Forgot his name...

http://www.signmark.biz/
http://www.facebook.com/OfficialSignmark
http://www.myspace.com/signmark
http://www.youtube.com/user/signmarkprod

Nope. Simply not my bag of tea. In fact, I find it a bit boring. I'm more into the audio aspect of a song and the musical instruments behind it than anything else.

One of my favs (this is a religious song - How Great Thou Art) It's 8 minutes long but if this is your kind of music, it's worth watching !!

[yt]_qAGlb8RNwM[/yt]

One of my favs (this is a religious song - How Great Thou Art) It's 8 minutes long but if this is your kind of music, it's worth watching !!

[yt]_qAGlb8RNwM[/yt]

AlleyCat-

Thanks for the wonderful video. While I may not know a lot of ASL, I do know some and I know the song. I actually learned more signs from the video. Thank you so much.

AlleyCat-

Thanks for the wonderful video. While I may not know a lot of ASL, I do know some and I know the song. I actually learned more signs from the video. Thank you so much.

You're welcome! I adore this song so I watch/listen to this video often. :)

Last edited:
Check out Sean Forbes! thats kinda cool. his song im Deaf is cool! do a google search! on utube too. its sign and music and interactive caption and dance. original....

I'm late-deafened, so I really miss music. I have no musical talent myself, which probably made me appreciate others so much. As for signed music, so many of the YouTube videos are students and newbies, and I don't always enjoy their interpretations of the music. A fluent signer, especially one using ASL and sharing the true spirit of the song, though, is music to my eyes.

I go to a local Karaoke bar on occasion with a group of terps and Deaf. The terps (and some Deaf) take turns signing. I must be naive. I'm amazed at how many songs are just about sex. I took so many lyrics at face value...wrong-me! :dunno:

Alley Cat, who is this guy? He did a wonderful job.

i enjoy signed music, but as you know i am late-deaf. I don't much listen to music now, but when my friends keep playing a song, I like to youtube-it to find a good version in "ASL" (usually SEE). I enjoy it because it gives me a better understanding of the song than listening alone. The one thing i do not like is that many signers will bounce up and down and around while signing a song. It's very annoying since I can't hear the beat that they are bouncing to!
just my personal experience
*EQL*

Alley Cat, who is this guy? He did a wonderful job.

He is a Tampa, FL Baptist Preacher. His name is Ronaldo Feliciano. Totally awesome!!

My hubby is now hooked onto that video and wants me to play it every evening before he goes to bed.

For what it's worth, I attend a Deaf church, and the majority of Deaf individuals really seem to enjoy the signed music portion of the service. It's probably worth noting that the gal who translates all the songs is Deaf herself, and she's able to come up with some really creative and artistic ways of conveying the various concepts.

Not a big fan of watching High School ASL students practice for their finals because so much of the time they just copy each other. However I love watching things artfully and appropriatley signed (Russel Harvard singing Fireflies by Owl City?? AMAZING!)

sometimes I feel like I am a judge on deaf American Idol, when I am watching such videos. The first few seconds, if they are so bad, I close the video FAST. Very few of them attract my attention. Am I a deaf Simon Cowell? Heh

PRICELESS.

(for some reason i cant embed the video in the message??)

Last edited:
Music in ASL makes me think the person need their head examined.

Music rely heavily on hearing. Once you take the sound away, it become pointless for most part.
It is almost like as a blind person doing sculpture. They can do it and even feel it out, but in the end the purpose of the statue is to be looked at. So the purpose of a blind person being into sculpturing is pretty much lost.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxPp0vAniY]YouTube - Owl City - Fireflies - ASL Song[/ame]

This is one of my favorite signed videos

Music in ASL makes me think the person need their head examined.

Music rely heavily on hearing. Once you take the sound away, it become pointless for most part.
It is almost like as a blind person doing sculpture. They can do it and even feel it out, but in the end the purpose of the statue is to be looked at. So the purpose of a blind person being into sculpturing is pretty much lost.

I disagree with your analogy... the "purpose" of a sculpture for a SEEING person is to look at it... the purpose for a blind person would be to feel it.

Back