• I'm not deaf and I love music in ASL

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Like the signed music on youtube? Do you care about it?
I put little d, not caps, emphasizing on this so it includes all. Feel free to associate with what side you wish to be.

Not deaf or hearing here, hard of hearing, but care a little, just cause I appreciate people trying to become aware of Deaf culture, but seems like most ASL students see sign language as a fun game and not a real language.

Wirelessly posted

Only if the song is being translated by interpreters as a part of their services, or when a culturally Deaf person does it in the name of arts, preferably original.

Not deaf or hearing here, hard of hearing, but care a little, just cause I appreciate people trying to become aware of Deaf culture, but seems like most ASL students see sign language as a fun game and not a real language.

This makes me wonder: Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
(Chicken: deafies signing music in ASL)
(Egg: Hearing signing music in ASL)

Guess it doesn't really matter now, but in terms of seeing if it is really a part of the culture or not this would have to be addressed.

I remember in my ASL classes, a lot of the hearing had a penchant towards signed music as part of projects and finals. I always watched them thinking the deafs would really not care about how they express emotions in the song since they can't hear it.

I am deaf and care a little. The reason for that is I am not really into songs. However, I prefer them signed in ASL than SEE.

I am deaf and care a little. The reason for that is I am not really into songs. However, I prefer them signed in ASL than SEE.

But we could just play a really cool video game instead!

I really love to see the Choir sing/sign gospel songs, especially Black-Africians. It's very moving and joyous!, even tho I'm not overly religious. They put so much emotions into the song, it's actually made me get up and sign along....and of course, an encore, encore!

As for rock songs, even country western, etc., just watching "American Idol" was enuf for me.

Music and songs in ASL get lost in the translation and lose the meanings. So count be out if the music and/or song in only in ASL

Normally, I don't really care if the person signs the music in the video. I don't always watch it but it is interesting sometimes. My friends sent me a email on a ASL music video based on Miley Cyrus: party in the USA. What I do is just read the lyrics and follow through them with the music turned on. Then after awhile I'd memorize them and the words start to become clear for me. Its like reading captions--kind of. But its handy.

Does this mean you don't know ASL?

That's my problem. I am still trying to learn, but then again, I can't devote much time what with running the household of 6 and dealing with everything.

That's my problem. I am still trying to learn, but then again, I can't devote much time what with running the household of 6 and dealing with everything.

That's quite alright, K; my query was for rolling7.

Wirelessly posted

I like to read songs and listen the music things. But I like ASL music better. :)

My very first "ASL class" in college <taught by hearing man, voice-allowed, more SEE>, one class requirement was to sign a song...thought it was silly. Liked the prof. ok, but didn't like the class much. MUCH prefer the ASL 2 class I took taught by Deaf woman- Deaf of Deaf. I understand why the issue of songs would be controversial and why many d/Deaf people wish this was not encouraged.

My very first "ASL class" in college <taught by hearing man, voice-allowed, more SEE>, one class requirement was to sign a song...thought it was silly. Liked the prof. ok, but didn't like the class much. MUCH prefer the ASL 2 class I took taught by Deaf woman- Deaf of Deaf. I understand why the issue of songs would be controversial and why many d/Deaf people wish this was not encouraged.

Many d/Deaf people do not want what to be encouraged? Songs signed in ASL?

oh, no - not ASL songs as in cultural performance by skilled signer, but songs as part of class requirement for hearing students to learn with.

a poem or song signed in ASL, properly, is beautiful.
much of what is out there, especially on the internet, is not ASL and confuses more than inspires.

I am so-so on ASL signing songs.

I have performed several as part of ASL classes. Most of the time I feel I fall short of perfection in ASL songs.

Back