Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I'm not deaf and I care a little

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I'm not deaf and I love music in ASL

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
Never really cared for music, so I don't really care if it was signed.

a poem or song signed in ASL, properly, is beautiful.
much of what is out there, especially on the internet, is not ASL and confuses more than inspires.

I am so-so on ASL signing songs.

I have performed several as part of ASL classes. Most of the time I feel I fall short of perfection in ASL songs.

I agree. I will be expected to sign songs at my parents' funerals and I am dreading it.

Wirelessly posted

Only if the song is being translated by interpreters as a part of their services, or when a culturally Deaf person does it in the name of arts, preferably original.

Agreed. When done this way, it is a truly beautiful performance. Culturally Deaf signing choirs bring tears to my eyes.

I agree. I will be expected to sign songs at my parents' funerals and I am dreading it.
Do you mean as a soloist performing? Or do you mean as a participating member of the whole group when hymns are song at the funeral? (That is, you would be "following" an interpreter.)

a poem or song signed in ASL, properly, is beautiful.
much of what is out there, especially on the internet, is not ASL and confuses more than inspires.

I am so-so on ASL signing songs.

I have performed several as part of ASL classes. Most of the time I feel I fall short of perfection in ASL songs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtehiLQAnZw]YouTube - Music in Our Sacred Space?[/ame]

Do you mean as a soloist performing? Or do you mean as a participating member of the whole group when hymns are song at the funeral? (That is, you would be "following" an interpreter.)

As a soloist. As jillio said, it may be a burden in my time of grief, but my bothers and sisters extracted a promise from me. I just hope I can do it without collapsing into a blubbering heap, lol.
For Dad I will sing High Flight by John Gillespie Magee, Jr., and for Mom, Over the Rainbow.

I am late hoh and I enjoy signed music on you tube, when done well.

yeah, I think most deaf people who benefit from HA or CI do. It helps us understand the music better. But without the music sounds, it is blah.

beowulf, I'm sorry about your parents. did they died at the same time?

beowulf, I'm sorry about your parents. did they died at the same time?

Nawwww, A, they are alive and kicking and in their 90's (well, almost), so maybe they will live forever. ;)

Last edited:
whew... LOL, they were planning on their funeral, huh?

My dad want us to make sure his funeral is in the military style

I really like it. I am late deaf. One of my favorites is by stormfx on youtube. He has some good ones. One I really like is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAu5uFpbanU"]YouTube - [ PUMP IT ] a la ASL[/ame]

There are 3 performers. Nyke Prince, a Deaf model, Keith Wann and Bjorn Storm. Mr. Storm plays two parts. I understand that Mr. Storm is a hearing, high level terp. He also does signs of Crazy by Gnarls Barkley and another by Marilyn Manson. They are funny, well executed and so different from the usual ASL class kids. (the kids are way cute though)

Berry recently turned me on to Trix Bruce. She is great. She was born Deaf. Check her out.

As a soloist. As jillio said, it may be a burden in my time of grief, but my bothers and sisters extracted a promise from me. I just hope I can do it without collapsing into a blubbering heap, lol.
For Dad I will sing High Flight by John Gillespie Magee, Jr., and for Mom, Over the Rainbow.
When the time comes, do what you feel is right for you (not for any feelings of guilt or obligation) but keep in mind your surviving parent's wishes.

I've been to funerals where loved ones, hearing or deaf, have done either a special song or poem, and it wasn't easy, but it was a cherished moment for those present.

Tears flowing at funerals are normal, not shameful or shocking.

I really like it. I am late deaf. One of my favorites is by stormfx on youtube. He has some good ones. One I really like is:

YouTube - [ PUMP IT ] a la ASL

There are 3 performers. Nyke Prince, a Deaf model, Keith Wann and Bjorn Storm. Mr. Storm plays two parts. I understand that Mr. Storm is a hearing, high level terp. He also does signs of Crazy by Gnarls Barkley and another by Marilyn Manson. They are funny, well executed and so different from the usual ASL class kids. (the kids are way cute though)

Berry recently turned me on to Trix Bruce. She is great. She was born Deaf. Check her out.
Keith is a CODA and terp.

I LOVE them! It is nice to finally be able to connect with the lyrics of songs. This was my method of listening to vocals: I would listen to music and read the lyrics at the same time. Most of the time the vocals disappeared into the blend. It is hard for me to follow the rhythm of the word syllables and connect them with the lyrics. Just to see my favorite songs done in ASL really makes me bond with the music, finally! If ASL music videos disappeared, I will be a very angry man. No kidding!

Finding a whole bunch of signed songs on YouTube (Mike Schmidt's collection of the Beatles and other classic rock, especially) was a HUGE inspiration for us when considering whether or not to embark on ASL. Rocking out to the beat and the then-exotic and completely unfamiliar but lovely hand movements was a wonderfully fun introduction to how expressive ASL could be, and something that my daughter and I could share right from the start, without a year or 2 of lessons under our belt. With creaky old farmhouse floors that rocked out with the bass from the sub woofer, she and I both had the ASL lyrics down to I Want To Hold Your Hand well before our very first lesson.

Really too bad that site is now defunct. Li-Li loves all things scary, but I think I'll hold off on the Marilyn Manson videos for a while.

Last edited:
i am hearing, but i don't really care for it. most of the time on youtube, it's SEE not ASL and really stupid over-played songs lol :p
and this happens: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15HUSdpeCM&feature=related]YouTube - Fireflies -Owl City (Sign Language)[/ame]

Last edited:
That's quite alright, K; my query was for rolling7.

Read it again. My point is the song is composed in English and any song that is translated into another language (be it Spanish, Hebrew, etc.) gets lost in translation. Yes, I do know ASL but I dont know of one song that was "composed" in ASL (at least, that would mean a deaf person "wrote" the song). If you know the name of a deaf composer, share it with us.

Read it again. My point is the song is composed in English and any song that is translated into another language (be it Spanish, Hebrew, etc.) gets lost in translation. Yes, I do know ASL but I dont know of one song that was "composed" in ASL (at least, that would mean a deaf person "wrote" the song). If you know the name of a deaf composer, share it with us.

Signmark.

Back