• No

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Only for certain reasons

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • other

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And jillo, to clarify, sociopathy is a profoundly aberrant mental condition, not nessarily a mental illness per se. There's a reason why it's not classfied on the same axis as depression or scheziophernia or bipolar.

The difference between the Axis are that Axis I is reserved for disorders that can be remedied through treatment. Axis II is for disorders that can be treated but are not expected to show significant improvement. Sociopathy, in and of itself, it not a definitive diagnosis, but is a feature of many diagnoses. Therefore, the etiology of the sociopathic behavior needs to be dtermined to know whether it is recorded on Axis I, as a feature of, for example, schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features, or if it is the result of a personality disorder or a developmental disorder, which would be recorded on Axis II.

Trust me, DD...I use the multi-axial system of diagnosis several times a day. I am quite familiar with it, as well as with the DSM criteria.

There's still a chance. Why lock'em up for life and put the lives of guards & inmates in danger? If an inmate is bound and determined to kill again, they'll find a way to do it.

Putting them down eliminates any chances of that happening again. Period.

Yiz

It sounds like you're advocating executions of EVERYONE who takes a human life.

The difference between the Axis are that Axis I is reserved for disorders that can be remedied through treatment. Axis II is for disorders that can be treated but are not expected to show significant improvement. Sociopathy, in and of itself, it not a definitive diagnosis, but is a feature of many diagnoses. Therefore, the etiology of the sociopathic behavior needs to be dtermined to know whether it is recorded on Axis I, as a feature of, for example, schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features, or if it is the result of a personality disorder or a developmental disorder, which would be recorded on Axis II.

Trust me, DD...I use the multi-axial system of diagnosis several times a day. I am quite familiar with it, as well as with the DSM criteria.

Hmm, I hadn't known that. I'll have to keep that in mind even though I think ti's likely that your post is a summary of what entails a dx of sociopathy.

I do believe that some people deserve to die but given the serious limitations within the judicial system, I oppose death penalty. Besides it's cheaper to keep them in jail.

I do believe that some people deserve to die but given the serious limitations within the judicial system, I oppose death penalty. Besides it's cheaper to keep them in jail.

Exactly. What is deserved isn't the question, really. The question is whether or not the penalty can be carried out with 100% assurrance that we have not made a mistake.

Exactly. What is deserved isn't the question, really. The question is whether or not the penalty can be carried out with 100% assurrance that we have not made a mistake.

I am sure there's 100% accuracy for some killers like Jeffrey Dahmar and Ted Bundy.

Once a human being shows the capacity to take a life of another human being without cause or reason, that individual needs to be put down for the safety of everyone, including guards and other inmates as well as people in general.

Yiz

You are aware, aren't you, that the vast majority of murders committed, and people incarcerated for murder, are considered "crimes of passion".Meaning that the murder was situation dependent, and would not occur again.

I am sure there's 100% accuracy for some killers like Jeffrey Dahmar and Ted Bundy.

But that doesn't translate to 100% accuracy anytime the death penaly is used. Of course, some of the people convicted are guilty. But how do we know for certain which ones are and which ones aren't. Too many convictions have been overturned to insure 100% accuracy in conviction and carrying out of the sentence.

I do believe that some people deserve to die but given the serious limitations within the judicial system, I oppose death penalty.
netrox, good point.
I do think however that if it is well established by psychologists that the sociopaths are dangerous and unrepentant/severe, they should NEVER EVER get out of jail. And when we're talking about jail......we're talking about JAIL...like supermax for dangerous prisoners. Meaning NO luxeries or anything like that.
jillo I know that sociopathy isn't too unusual right.....but dangerous/criminal sociopaths are kind of rare overall right?

netrox, good point.
I do think however that if it is well established by psychologists that the sociopaths are dangerous and unrepentant/severe, they should NEVER EVER get out of jail. And when we're talking about jail......we're talking about JAIL...like supermax for dangerous prisoners. Meaning NO luxeries or anything like that.
jillo I know that sociopathy isn't too unusual right.....but dangerous/criminal sociopaths are kind of rare overall right?

Extremely rare. That is why they receive so much media attention.

It sounds like you're advocating executions of EVERYONE who takes a human life.

Precisely! Those that commit murder.

Except those that kill in self defense of life, liberty, family and home. Break into my house and threaten my life and the lives of my family, you will be shot dead, no exceptions.

Yiz

You are aware, aren't you, that the vast majority of murders committed, and people incarcerated for murder, are considered "crimes of passion".Meaning that the murder was situation dependent, and would not occur again.

That's no excuse to commit murder, except by means of self defense. If a spouse's life is threaten of being murdered, then by all means the spouse kill in self defense.

But on the other hand, if a spouse kills a spouse that is like....asleep in bed and kills or walks right up to the spouse under any circumstances and kills. That's not self defense, that's revenge and that spouse is not above the law. He/she should be arrested, tried and if found guilty in the court of law, be put to death.

Crimes of passion is not an excuse to murder nor is it to the law.

Yiz

That's no excuse to commit murder, except by means of self defense. If a spouse's life is threaten of being murdered, then by all means the spouse kill in self defense.

But on the other hand, if a spouse kills a spouse that is like....asleep in bed and kills or walks right up to the spouse under any circumstances and kills. That's not self defense, that's revenge and that spouse is not above the law. He/she should be arrested, tried and if found guilty in the court of law, be put to death.

Crimes of passion is not an excuse to murder nor is it to the law.

Yiz

I did not say that it was an excuse. You misunderstand the purpose of my post. It was to demonstrate the fact that the fact majority of people who murder would not commit murder again. It was a reaction to a specific situation and a specific person. They do not pose a danger to society at large.

I did not say that it was an excuse. You misunderstand the purpose of my post. It was to demonstrate the fact that the fact majority of people who murder would not commit murder again. It was a reaction to a specific situation and a specific person. They do not pose a danger to society at large.

Still sounds like you're excusing their behavior. Murder need no explanations, it's wrong period.

Yiz

Still sounds like you're excusing their behavior. Murder need no explanations, it's wrong period.

Yiz

Evidently you don't know the difference between an excuse and a reason. My post was just pointing out that fear that all murderers are dangers to society at large is unreasonable due to the reason most murders are committed. It has virtually nothing to do with excuses.

Evidently you don't know the difference between an excuse and a reason. My post was just pointing out that fear that all murderers are dangers to society at large is unreasonable due to the reason most murders are committed. It has virtually nothing to do with excuses.

Murder never has a reason. Since when did murder have a reasoning?

Yiz

I would have to agree with this, still murder is not the answer to their reason.

In my area, there were a murderer named Frank Garcias. To make this long story short. He had good job with high paying. There was a co worker that report sexual harassment against Frank. That report leads to termination of Frank's position. Frank got real pissed off at this, and decided that it is his reason for going out and murder this co worker and other co worker who witness sexual harassment, ended up murder witness. This valentine day massacre was just because he (Frank) was reported for sexual harassment. Frank had no trouble finding himself guilty of charges given by Jurors and was given several lifetime sentence. Again, it is not an excuse for him to get away from lifetime imprisonment.

Murder STILL wrong even though it was his own reasoning. He does not have mental illness of any kind. Will Frank murder again? I don't think so because his life is already f**ked up and he lost everything which result no reason to murder another one..

Actually there are two kinds of murders. One is murder by insanity like Sociopath, for example serial killers which kills for no apparent reason; while other is murder out of reason (retalation), for example Frank murder Joe because Joe raped Frank's 15 years old daughter.

In New York, your gonna go jail for this, no exception.
In Florida and Texas, you get excepted if the criminals entered your property, outside of your property, no exceptions.

Except those that kill in self defense of life, liberty, family and home. Break into my house and threaten my life and the lives of my family, you will be shot dead, no exceptions.

Yiz

Murder never has a reason. Since when did murder have a reasoning?

Yiz

You said it yourself above when you were referring to murder by means of self-defense. Are you going to let your loved one or even yourself be murdered because you think "oh, there's no reasoning behind this?"

Well said!

You said it yourself above when you were referring to murder by means of self-defense. Are you going to let your loved one or even yourself be murdered because you think "oh, there's no reasoning behind this?"

Back