Do I "need to wear a hearing device while driving"?

I agree with Lemontree. You have to wear hearing aids to protect you. If you don't wear hearing aids. You can't hear in background like honk, crash, and siren walling. Do you wear a glasses for read the sign?? What's wrong with hearing aids?? Glasses and hearing aids are the same! If you are application for a new job at truck. You have to wear hearing aids. Don't be shy or scare. That's silly to be shy or scare to wear. What kind of truck do you work for?? Semi Truck or Truck Delivery or Hauling? If you can't hear any noise. You will get risk. Hearing aids is protect you to hear. Glasses is protect for your vision. That's nothing wrong to wear aids. You will not get arrest by pullover. Just give you a ticket for speeding that all. I have to wear glasses all the times. I am not good at read sign. It's blurring. I always wear my hearing aids to hear anything.

what about full stoned deaf people.. they don't wear hearing aid cuz it doesnt help them to hear the noises. it wont do them any good. lot of them can function without hearing aid. it is not requiration for deaf people to wear the hearing aid. it is their choices if they wanted to wear one or not.

i wear hearing aid and i can tell you while driving on the road. diehardbiker is right. car is soundproofed. i cant hear nothing outside of the car? but with windows down i can hear noises like siren and things like that. it wont do me any good if its rolled up knowing i wont depend on my hearing aid. I would put down no i am deaf cuz i know it wont help me if windows are rolled up.

what about full stoned deaf people.. they don't wear hearing aid cuz it doesnt help them to hear the noises. it wont do them any good. lot of them can function without hearing aid. it is not requiration for deaf people to wear the hearing aid. it is their choices if they wanted to wear one or not...
That's right.

I hope you're referring to "stone-deaf" people and not "stoned" deaf people. I don't want them driving.

:lol:

Excuse me? You're misunderstand what I saying. I am not a driver. I mention about my fiance is using his earphone like bluetooth while he is talking to someone on cellphone. I am not bother him when he is on phone. Also I don't bother him during in bad traffic. I know how to careful. He is hearing! If you don't know what is earphone as bluetooth alike. You need go check at Google and see the image what it alike "Bluetooth" You will understand what I am talking about. Bluetooth is a hand-free!

It is not holding the cell phone in your hand that causes problems with talking on the phone and driving at the same time. It is trying to pay attention to the conversation and the traffic and the road all at the same time. You are just as distracted by conversation using BlueTooth as by conversation on a hand held.

That's right.

I hope you're referring to "stone-deaf" people and not "stoned" deaf people. I don't want them driving.

:lol:

:bowlol: I missed that one until I read your post.

Excuse me? You're misunderstand what I saying. I am not a driver. I mention about my fiance is using his earphone like bluetooth while he is talking to someone on cellphone. I am not bother him when he is on phone. Also I don't bother him during in bad traffic. I know how to careful. He is hearing! If you don't know what is earphone as bluetooth alike. You need go check at Google and see the image what it alike "Bluetooth" You will understand what I am talking about. Bluetooth is a hand-free!

Uhh......I know what a BlueTooth devise is. I am perfectly well aware that it is hands free. That doesn't make it any safer to use while driving. Read my post again. It is not holding the phone in your hand that makes it unsafe. It is talking on the phone and driving at the same time, whether you are talking into a hand held, or using a Blue Tooth connection.

Uhh......I know what a BlueTooth devise is. I am perfectly well aware that it is hands free. That doesn't make it any safer to use while driving. Read my post again. It is not holding the phone in your hand that makes it unsafe. It is talking on the phone and driving at the same time, whether you are talking into a hand held, or using a Blue Tooth connection.

Read my PM! (sighing) Bluetooth device isn't hold the hand on cellphone. I mean earphone for ear to hear. My fiance have no problem with bluetooth during drive. He is very good at eyes focus on road. I hope you get my message.

Read my PM! (sighing) Bluetooth device isn't hold the hand on cellphone. I mean earphone for ear to hear. My fiance have no problem with bluetooth during drive. He is very good at eyes focus on road. I hope you get my message.

I got what you were saying the first time. You just don't seem to understand what I am saying.

Blue tooth devise, handheld phone, same dangerous. Talk phone,, drive, together, no.

Hey everyone. I want to say apology. If you're disagree with me. That's okay. I want to tell you the point about Straddler's question about his driving. You can answer him the question.

Straddler, I am sorry for being mistake. I want to tell you. I wish I would have a license permit. I can't drive. You said, You do wear a hearing aid all the times. And you don't have to wear hearing aid during drive. It up to you. You will not get in trouble for not wear hearing aid. If you like to listen the music while you're drive. Are you a teenager? :)

I'm applying for a learner's permit, and one of the questions on the application is "Do you need to wear a hearing device while driving?" I'm confused about how to answer this. I do wear a hearing aid most of the time, but I don't need to wear it while driving. People who have less hearing than I have are obviously legally allowed to drive without hearing aids or cochlear implants. If I were to get pulled over while I was not wearing my aids, would I be fined, ticketed, arrested, get points on my license, etc? I'm just confused as to how to answer this question. Any insight?

I live in Kansas and they don't even add restriction on DL for hearing aid! Just glasses or contact Len. If you're HH or Deaf, they don't care what you have. As long as you can drive car safetly, that's important. They simply said that Deaf people are the best driver becasue they can spot a flashing lights (ambulance, firetruck, or police) through mirrors and pull over before Hearing driver can hear. Also they use eyes to scan through traffice ahead of them. It was a proud moment when me and my deaf friend were in HS Driver's education and Instructor told everyone about it. Everyone looked at us like we're just the best people :lol: heh heeh Hi everyone!!

Catty

I guess it depends on why they're asking you. Did you ask them why the question was asked and what would happen if you gave them a YES or NO answer?

My license says that I need hearing aid or side mirrors. If a cop pulled me over and looked at my license, he would then have to check one of the two... do I have side mirrors or am I wearing my hearing aid? If one or the other is "yes", then I'm fine.

I do NOT believe that hearing does help drivers drive better, it is just hogwash. AND I can prove easily!

Too many people are talking on cell phone, this can distract hearing drivers!

There are cars that was built as sound proof from outside of cars because hearing people can't stand the noises from outside of cars, yet they still drive and can't hear from outside hence soundproofing cars. If hearing is so important, then why build soundproofed cars? Don't believe ones that exists? Here is the link Are cars too well sound-proofed for drivers to hear emergency vehicles approaching? Text - Physics Forums Library which concerns about soundproofing cars with emergency vehicles! True business there is plenty out there.

What is most important part of driving? Of course your EYES! Without Eyes, you won't be able to drive, period.

finally there are plenty of people that cranked the volume up to the top in their cars, how can they hear from outside while inside the cars is damn too loud?

I think it is lame excuses for hearing people to look down at Deafies that they think can NOT drive just because they can't hear. FULL OF BALONEY!

Now you got my answer to your question!
Very good point! That's what I would explain it too. A deaf friend of mine she have been full of deaf for years and been driving for years without hearing aid. The only thing in Maryland laws that I know must have front mirror .. left and r side mirror. I do have sidekick tmobile I never play with it while I am driving. Because I know better. The worse problem is the hearing use their cellphone while driving. The highest rates are the hearing driver than the deafie.

I prefer to drive with my hearing aids switched off. The noises are too distracting for me.

I prefer to drive with my hearing aids switched off. The noises are too distracting for me.

I agree. It rack my head while driving.

For many years without hearing aids, I find more focus on road. Of course, my mobile phone is being distracting on me. tee-hee.

Gosh, both mobile phone and hearing aids. I couldn't imagine that it's too much.

That's right. I know it's too noise. I prefer to listen the music and bass. By the way, I am not drive. I am a passenger person. Do you like to listen the music during you're drive? :)

That's right. I know it's too noise. I prefer to listen the music and bass. By the way, I am not drive. I am a passenger person. Do you like to listen the music during you're drive? :)

No music. In fact, I forbid anybody playing music in my car. Too distracting for me.

You know, distractions will always be there while we drive. It doesn't matter if we are deaf or hearing. We all get distracted by using cellphones, sidekicks, signing/speaking, drinking a cup, looking at signs that are on display, attractions, so and on.

As each state varies with their driving law, some are required to have such restrictions but I have not seen or heard of a case where they (the police) pulls you over just because you're deaf. I've been pulled over couple of times myself (Yeah, I'm a leadfoot :giggle:) and not once, the cops has not gave me a ticket due to my deafness.

If we were to be ticketed just because we're deaf - There will be a lot of backpedaling. We have gone a long way to fight for our rights to drive.

I have been driving for 20 years now ( Iam 36) and no accidents. Just fender benders by other drivers. During those 20 years, I have driven several times without my hearing aids. Even with them on, I dont see how they can help me to be a better driver. :dunno:

Back