Do I "need to wear a hearing device while driving"?

Just keep one of these handy-dandy ear trumpet "hearing devices" in your car at all times. If you get pulled over, stick it in your ear and say, "Eh?"

http://www.medicalindexing.co.uk/rob/hearing/hanuck.gif

Well, it's a hearing device, right? The application form didn't specify what kind. :deal:

That has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read!! Oh man...I just cracked up big time when I saw the link. LOL!

I have been driving for 20 years now ( Iam 36) and no accidents. Just fender benders by other drivers. During those 20 years, I have driven several times without my hearing aids. Even with them on, I dont see how they can help me to be a better driver. :dunno:

Hurry! Knock on wood!

I have sharper eyes, and even with my hearing aids, I still can't hear the siren (and I can hear ok with my hearing aids too, just that the car is SOOOOO noisy)

I got pulled over twice, and I didn't need to use my hearing aids.. I have never hear the car horn in my life while driving. And when a ambulance comes, I noticed it from my rearview because I check my rearview often for stuffs like that.

So the answers is no, but they should tell you the answer to it in your handbook anyway.

Some people use their cellphone while drivi

I guess it depends on why they're asking you. Did you ask them why the question was asked and what would happen if you gave them a YES or NO answer?

My license says that I need hearing aid or side mirrors. If a cop pulled me over and looked at my license, he would then have to check one of the two... do I have side mirrors or am I wearing my hearing aid? If one or the other is "yes", then I'm fine.

Everyone need a side mirror in VA..
I don't even know what this mirror that some of you talking about anyway (if it is left and right outside mirrors, yep we got them)... and My dmv do not give out hearing tests

But if I wanted to have a special plate to notify EMT or Polices that I am deaf, I have to have a written from a doctor.

I think the biggest problem for deafs is learning how to drive from a instructor.. He can't really teach you if you can't look at him while driving. but once you learn, you're alright.

I hate when driver texting or chat away on cell phone.. Whenever you text or talk while driving, you drive a little slower than rest of car which led to road jams.. 2 weeks ago, a lady was chatting on phone and NEARLY hit my company vehicle when she tried to change lane and didn't see me!! That pissed me off.

Too bad, my state doesn't have law forbidding drivers from using phone while driving for people over 18.. Only under 18 are forbidden from using cell phone at all while driving.

I hate when driver texting or chat away on cell phone.. Whenever you text or talk while driving, you drive a little slower than rest of car which led to road jams.. 2 weeks ago, a lady was chatting on phone and NEARLY hit my company vehicle when she tried to change lane and didn't see me!! That pissed me off.

Too bad, my state doesn't have law forbidding drivers from using phone while driving for people over 18.. Only under 18 are forbidden from using cell phone at all while driving.

Yes, been there. I have had close call with a woman talking on cellphone at the parking lot. Luckily, using my common sense. I looked ahead and saw her driving and look like she's not paying attention. I stopped my truck and sit there when I supposed to go thru. She drove past by me without stopping. Sheesh. If I went a head without stopping, she'll crashed on side of my truck.

This is unbelievable. It make no different whether hearing or deaf, they drive same tho.

When I got pulled over for speeding. When officers approached me at my driver's side, I motioned him pointing my ear and say "I'm deaf". He understood quickly and wrote me a note. He gave me warning ticket and told me slow down lol. In Olathe, KS, many officers signs because there are many deaf people living there plus Kansas School of the Deaf located there. Some of my friends were nabbed by Olathe cops for speeding and other things in the past. Olathe cops are treating deafie just like everyone else. They will not let them go free because they're deaf. Luckily, I don't live there lol.

Catty

No music. In fact, I forbid anybody playing music in my car. Too distracting for me.

Same here ... cannot stand to have any music in the car! Like peace and quiet so I can concentrate on driving. :)

I normally wear my hearing aid when I drive, but it doesn't really help me to hear what's going on around me. Emergency sirens, PFT! I don't hear them unless they are EXTREMELY close to me (I see their flashing lights first before I hear them). and I hear more car/truck sounds than anything else, so I rather drive with my hearing aid off (or turned off). I will more likely have my hearing aid turned on if I'm driving in bad weather, just in case.

as for the hands-free thing... at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina, they have a sign that says you can drive and use a hands free device with your cellphone. You can NOT be holding your cell phone up to your ear and drive at the same time, you'll get ticketed. Just something I noticed while I was there. Why they have that system in Camp LeJeune, I have no idea.

Well, I don't know if many of you will like my answer but here goes. If that question is on my driver renewal, I certainly don't remember it but I would check no. It's no one's business if I have my aids in or not. I use my eyes. I pay attn to what is goin on around me. If I notice other drivers pulling over to stop, I do the same and then I see an ambulance. And I think there's a lot of hearies out there that blast their stero's so loud, even God wouldn't be able to hear a siren. I only wear my ha in the car when I have my precious cargo (my kids)

Everyone need a side mirror in VA..
I don't even know what this mirror that some of you talking about anyway (if it is left and right outside mirrors, yep we got them)... and My dmv do not give out hearing tests

But if I wanted to have a special plate to notify EMT or Polices that I am deaf, I have to have a written from a doctor.

I think the biggest problem for deafs is learning how to drive from a instructor.. He can't really teach you if you can't look at him while driving. but once you learn, you're alright.
When I went to driving school, I would talk with my driving instructor before I started driving. First, I asked her what she would be teaching me and telling me. She would mention things like telling me which direction to go, when to stop & go, when to speed up & slow down, etc. I would then tell her the best way to tell me those things.

Stop (sign language for 'Stop')
Go (sign language for 'Go')

Left (either point to the left or use the letter 'L' in the left direction
Right (either point to the right or use the letter 'R' in the right direction
Forward (point to the front)
Back (use thumb pointing to the back)

Slow Down (sign as if patting a dog)

There were a few others, but I don't remember at the moment. My driving instructors were very understanding and we never had problems.

This is more of a common sense question than anything else. If you have hearing aides or CIs and your driving why wouldn't you wear them? A vehicle is a machine and you should listen for abnormal noises all the time. On top of that you can listen for sirens, horns and other dangers.

I agree with Lemontree. You have to wear hearing aids to protect you. If you don't wear hearing aids. You can't hear in background like honk, crash, and siren walling. Do you wear a glasses for read the sign?? What's wrong with hearing aids?? Glasses and hearing aids are the same! If you are application for a new job at truck. You have to wear hearing aids. Don't be shy or scare. That's silly to be shy or scare to wear. What kind of truck do you work for?? Semi Truck or Truck Delivery or Hauling? If you can't hear any noise. You will get risk. Hearing aids is protect you to hear. Glasses is protect for your vision. That's nothing wrong to wear aids. You will not get arrest by pullover. Just give you a ticket for speeding that all. I have to wear glasses all the times. I am not good at read sign. It's blurring. I always wear my hearing aids to hear anything.

i'm hoh...me too, i have to wear my hearing aid to help me hear in case if there's emergency siren, i have to pull over. several times i heard emergency siren really loud.
i wear my hearing aid since i was a kid.

I normally wear my hearing aid when I drive, but it doesn't really help me to hear what's going on around me. Emergency sirens, PFT! I don't hear them unless they are EXTREMELY close to me (I see their flashing lights first before I hear them). and I hear more car/truck sounds than anything else, so I rather drive with my hearing aid off (or turned off). I will more likely have my hearing aid turned on if I'm driving in bad weather, just in case.

as for the hands-free thing... at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina, they have a sign that says you can drive and use a hands free device with your cellphone. You can NOT be holding your cell phone up to your ear and drive at the same time, you'll get ticketed. Just something I noticed while I was there. Why they have that system in Camp LeJeune, I have no idea.

You are more likely to see the sirens before you hear them. Besides, a lot of cars today are built to keep the outside noises out so it's kind of moot to be debating this.

You are more likely to see the sirens before you hear them. Besides, a lot of cars today are built to keep the outside noises out so it's kind of moot to be debating this.
Banjo, actually , newer technology has been introduced to enable law enforcement to alert drivers up ahead with standard sirens and sounds PLUS Rumbler feature...

Police Car Equipment - New High-Tech Cop Patrol Vehicle Gadgets - Popular Mechanics

Police Install New Earth-Shaking Device In Patrol Cars|NewsChannel 8

With New Device, Police Shake, Rattle and Roll - washingtonpost.com

check out those several youtube vids... (crank up your volume :giggle:)
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

It is not moot to debate this. You will only find a few luxury cars that filter out all noise from the outside. If you have hearing aids it is in your best interest and the interest of others to wear them, I don't even understand why this is a debate? Is it because of pride?

It is not moot to debate this. You will only find a few luxury cars that filter out all noise from the outside. If you have hearing aids it is in your best interest and the interest of others to wear them, I don't even understand why this is a debate? Is it because of pride?

When I wear my hearing aids while driving, I play the stereo so I cant hear what goes on outside of my SUV and it is not a luxury one. Even with the stereo off, I just hear the engine.

No difference for me with or without my hearing aids when it comes to "aiding" me in driving.

Pride? No, I just don't think it's common sense to think that one should wear it just for the sake of it. If you want to wear hearing aids, feel free to do so. I do sometimes, or not. It doesn't really help me with driving.

Besides, it's not just the luxury cars anymore.

Pride? No, I just don't think it's common sense to think that one should wear it just for the sake of it. If you want to wear hearing aids, feel free to do so. I do sometimes, or not. It doesn't really help me with driving.

Besides, it's not just the luxury cars anymore.

Nor can you get around the fact that light travels faster than sound. Therefore, you will see the lights before you hear the siren. So, you are correct Banjo. Its a moot point.

I drive better and MUCH MORE SAFELY without my hearing aids - than with them..

This is because even with the best digital hearing aids, I can't tell the difference between a pot banging (Bonnnng!), a low-frequency car horn (Hoonnnk!), or my mom calling my name in annoyed manner (Marrrrk!).

If something is wrong with the car, I can feel it through vibrations, or car drifting, I just need to do engine critical checks more often.

My brain cannot stand second-guessing sounds, and I focus MUCH better with no audio while driving. Because I am nearly completely deaf (and also unable to use the phone without relay or TTY) at the profound level, my ears does not provide the signal-to-noise margin necessary to distinguish between critical sounds, necessary to make driving safer for me with hearing.

It is NOT the same as eyeglasses versus hearing, because I can't tell apart a car horn and female calling my name in a prolonged manner, as one example. Although I am only nearly totally deaf, 100% totally deaf people can legally drive in many places, 100% totally blind people can't legally drive.

Also, when passengers play the radio, the radio sound is EXTREMELY distracting to my ears as it is meaningless cacophony noise to my ears that all sound the same no matter what is playing. "Mary had a little lamb!" sounds meaninglessly like "mahee-ah-ah-ihur-aamm!" for example, and often just even more meaningless identical syllables to my ears "ah-ah-ah-ih-ah" over other noises such as wind, motor, conversation, and all. Yes, all syllables in many songs sound all the same in some circumstances. Meaningless distracting cacophony.

Yes, my circumstances are different from yours. But I am too deaf to identify critical sounds, and the safety distraction of sounds often outweigh the safety improvement for my specific case, because of this.

And yes, I do need to keep a more careful eye out for emergency vehicles, have all 3 mirrors, and all.

Back