Dlink vp vs Sorenson vp

IloveVP said:
Wondering if you are Sorenson installer. It seems that you know so much about Sorenson but not this LDAP-Core stuff.
No, I am not an installer. I am a network engineer. I do know about LDAP but from what qwerty is saying, Sorenson no longer uses LDAP even though their documentation says to open ports on your firewal to all LDAP through.

qwerty123 said:
you try envision and webcam and dial to other vp? find out!
Envision is a totally different means and while I'm quite sure it will work, it's not anything I am interested in at this point.

rockdrummer said:
Envision is a totally different means and while I'm quite sure it will work, it's not anything I am interested in at this point.

envision use ldap but wont work because ldap is not longer service envision wont work with vp numbers

qwerty123 said:
envision use ldap but wont work because ldap is not longer service envision wont work with vp numbers
So do you think I should drop my Sorenson and go with a DLINK??? And what about my question before about providing a link or some industry information about CORE. Do you have that? If not, then where did you get your information about CORE? Just curious.

FYI DLink and Sorenson VP is pretty much the same thing, the only difference is that it is internal programming part. It is programmed for VP-100 to be more VRS friendly, and deaf friendly. The rest, pretty much the same, even the networking setting and all the stuff. Dlink manufacture both Dlink and manufacture VP-100 for Sorenson.

I have both, and I EVEN tried to set both to work on same WAN line, never made it! Always get conflicts no matter how smart you are. I have known there are plenty of people out there, even networking engineer tried this, none of em have any success.

rockdrummer said:
So do you think I should drop my Sorenson and go with a DLINK??? And what about my question before about providing a link or some industry information about CORE. Do you have that? If not, then where did you get your information about CORE? Just curious.

diehardbiker65 said:
FYI DLink and Sorenson VP is pretty much the same thing, the only difference is that it is internal programming part. It is programmed for VP-100 to be more VRS friendly, and deaf friendly. The rest, pretty much the same, even the networking setting and all the stuff. Dlink manufacture both Dlink and manufacture VP-100 for Sorenson.

I have both, and I EVEN tried to set both to work on same WAN line, never made it! Always get conflicts no matter how smart you are. I have known there are plenty of people out there, even networking engineer tried this, none of em have any success.

Rockdrummer
Get what DHB say. CANT and CANT and CANT get both vp (vp100 and dlinK) to work on single WAN line. so much for your 20+ year neworking expereince

me seen certain routers that may not work too well with both vp you turn off one vp and turn on the other, router will not recongize it. netgear routers is know have problem best use dlink 604 or soresnon sr200 router

rockdrummer said:

easy to know...try envision

diehardbiker65 said:
Or even better.... ask DLink technicans and they will give ya hard answer.
Geeze guys.. if CORE is a technology that replaces LDAP, I would hope there is information out there somewhere on it. I couldn't find it and I would expect those that told me it was true were able to back up their cliams. Apparantly not.

Hey, why is it so hard for you to contact directly to manufacturer and find out the hard answer? You could claim yourself to them (Dlink) that you got networking engineer degree for 20 years and see if they would give you hard answer or two then come back to us?

rockdrummer said:
Geeze guys.. if CORE is a technology that replaces LDAP, I would hope there is information out there somewhere on it. I couldn't find it and I would expect those that told me it was true were able to back up their cliams. Apparantly not.

diehardbiker65 said:
Hey, why is it so hard for you to contact directly to manufacturer and find out the hard answer? You could claim yourself to them (Dlink) that you got networking engineer degree for 20 years and see if they would give you hard answer or two then come back to us?
I could do that but you are missing the point. Lets rewind a bit. I posted port numbers that Sorenson has listed in their documentation and on the box the VP came in. Then qwerty said that the LDAP port is no longer used and told me it was replaced with some custom database called CORE but he can't back that up with anything. I backed up what I said and posted an excerpt from the manual that shows what I said is true. I also did some research on the web about this CORE and found NOTHING. I am not about to go on a wild goose chase because of someones claims that they cant even back up. Anybody can make claims. If you can't back it up, then I won't take you seriously. And it's not like I didn't look for the information. I did but there wasn't any which leads me to believe that maybe this is just more smoke blowing...

So the point here DHB is that qwerty is disputing what is in the Sorenson documentation but not able to back it up with anything substantial. I'm not saying that the Sorenson documentation is accurate but until I have something concrete that says otherwise, I'll stick with what the manufacture is saying.

rockdrummer, while I'd love to say that qwerty is wrong, there is evidence that blocking the 389 port does not prevent the VP-100 from connecting to the directory. Whether it's still an LDAP server or not, we don't know. Your VP-100 manual was most likely one of a million printed and inserted into your VP a long time ago and given to you as part of their backlog of inventory. So, your manual isn't the latest info, and Sorenson hasn't bothered to update the manual because they're getting the VP-200 out eventually. So why bother to update an expensive document that's going to be phased out anyway?

You're right, though, there's nothing that qwerty says that can be verified on the internet. There's no such thing as CORE out there. Most likely it's just his wording for a custom database directory that he thinks Sorenson made. I've not seen any evidence, BEYOND the blockage of port 389 not being enough to prevent connection to Sorenson's LDAP servers, that states that LDAP is no longer being used.

Or that maybe due to vp-100 being phased out and that LDAP might be phasing out too, and that VP-200 MIGHT be using different type of server.,.. who knows? Or Sorenson MIGHT already knew that hackers breaks in their server too easy, too often, so they are updating with their server with newer type with increased security. I don't know, but I DO know their current server is too easy to break in.

Dennis said:
rockdrummer, while I'd love to say that qwerty is wrong, there is evidence that blocking the 389 port does not prevent the VP-100 from connecting to the directory. Whether it's still an LDAP server or not, we don't know. Your VP-100 manual was most likely one of a million printed and inserted into your VP a long time ago and given to you as part of their backlog of inventory. So, your manual isn't the latest info, and Sorenson hasn't bothered to update the manual because they're getting the VP-200 out eventually. So why bother to update an expensive document that's going to be phased out anyway?

You're right, though, there's nothing that qwerty says that can be verified on the internet. There's no such thing as CORE out there. Most likely it's just his wording for a custom database directory that he thinks Sorenson made. I've not seen any evidence, BEYOND the blockage of port 389 not being enough to prevent connection to Sorenson's LDAP servers, that states that LDAP is no longer being used.

Dennis said:

Thanks for your insight. Actually I just downloaded that manual from their website last week when the topic came up, so I assume it's the latest. Now I know from experience that it's not a perfect world and perhaps the manual is not updated. I can live with that but all I ask for is concrete evidence when someone wants to dispute something. It's real easy to make claims and try to sound intelligent. I'ts a whole different story to back up those claims with something substantial that may show you actually know what you are talking about.

Dennis said:

opps dennis you wrong pasted from Soresnon netwrok paper ask soresnon techincle support for user guide page 79

Inbound Ports:
* Port 1720 (TCP & UDP)
* Ports 15328-15333 (TCP & UDP)

Outbound Ports:
* Ports 1024-65535 (TCP & UDP)
* Port 21 (FTP)
* Port 80 (HTTP)

no port 389? mean no ldap vp200 have 500 entry

Back