Dlink vp vs Sorenson vp

Dennis said:
I'm not anti-Sorenson. I'm anti-ignorance, which qwerty displays on a constant basis with regards to Sorenson. And yes, I know Sprint originally started VRS in Texas in conjunction with Relay Texas and Ed Bosson in 1996 and etc., etc., etc.

Hey, they say ignorance is bliss. I like making ignorant people smarter and UNHAPPY. :)

did you know that hovrs filed complaint with FCC last week abt Sorenson nag screen on soresnon vp when call other vrs provider? that is crybaby tactic simply checkmark and get over with

so u ignorance?

Ed Bosson is the father of VRS

qwerty123 said:
did you know that hovrs filed complaint with FCC last week abt Sorenson nag screen on soresnon vp when call other vrs provider? that is crybaby tactic simply checkmark and get over with so u ignorance?
Ed Bosson is the father of VRS
Does it really matter who came up with what first? Isn't the important thing here that the features are available to the various vendors of videophones. My guess is that they intentionally share (not steal) the features in order to benefit the deaf community. Isn't that what is really important?

Dennis said:
I'm not anti-Sorenson. I'm anti-ignorance, which qwerty displays on a constant basis with regards to Sorenson. And yes, I know Sprint originally started VRS in Texas in conjunction with Relay Texas and Ed Bosson in 1996 and etc., etc., etc.

Hey, they say ignorance is bliss. I like making ignorant people smarter and UNHAPPY. :)

correction 1995, not 1996 see this

Who is the Father of VRS?

Published in SWCDHH What's Up?! newsletter
May-June 2005 issue
By Frank Mounts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is the Real Father of VRS? The question popped in my head for quite a while. I decided to set out and do a bit of poking around and researching. I asked all major VRS providers: Sprint, CSD, Sorenson and HOVRS.

They were quick to point to Ed Bosson, the Texas relay administrator. Ed envisioned deaf people communicating with each other with videophones more than 10 years ago. At the time, Ed saw how Internet evolved into people’s lives. He knew it would eventually make its way into the lives of the deaf people. He also knew the possibilities that video conferencing technology was ripe enough to enable communication over high speed land line with use of ASL.

Ed then contacted Mark Seeger who was then the account manager of Sprint TRS in Texas at the time and explained about the possibilities. Mark contacted the Sprint technicians to see if Ed’s vision would work. The technicians reported that it would work. Ed was thrilled to know that and went to Texas PUC with the idea. However, it took Ed a long time to be able to convince PUC and got some help from a lawyer in interpreting. One by one, Ed’s supervisor then the Commissioners were convinced it was a feature of TRS. They allowed Ed to do the trials. Sprint was the first TRS to provide two trial testing.

The first trial was in Austin, Texas during 1995 and was limited to 4 locations. The second trial was done in 1997 expanding to 10 different cities in Texas. During that time, two different services participated in the trials, Sprint and Hanwave Interpreting. During that time it was called VRI (Video Relay Interpreting) but not the same as Video Remote Interpreting. It was suggested by Linda Nelson, a deaf representative that the acronym word be changed to VRS (Video Relay Service) and Ed went with that. Ed thought and agreed it would be better described that way than “Video Relay Interpreting”.

Jon Hodson from Sorenson worked with Ed Bosson during early stages and provided Sorenson PCI, video conferencing software during the VRS trial in Texas.

To some extent, the trials went well that time so sometime during 2000, VRS became formal in Texas. Since that time, Texas was paying for the VRS service until FCC started reimbursing VRS providers, Texas stopped paying for it. Hanwave Interpreting Service was bought out by CSD (Communication Service for the Deaf) so Sprint subcontracted with them jumping aboard the beginning of the VRS industry.

Getting the facts straight:

*Sorenson is the inventor of the high compression chip and co-developed the D-Link videophone.
*Washington state and Texas were the first states to try out VRS statewide in 1998 on trial basis.
*Sweden was the first country to implement a public VRS fully subsidized by the government.
*USA was the second country to provide public and personal VRS.
*Sprint/CSD were the first to provide VRS trials and introduced the first VRS model at Deaf Way II in 2002.

On basis of Ed Bosson’s work in VRS, national awards were given to him by Smithsonian Computerworld and TDI. Ed Bosson has been in communication with CSD/Sprint, Sorenson, and Sweden on making this happen. Hence, VRS was born in Texas. The VRS trials in Texas was then used as a model by FCC making this a national reality. Based on my research and information given, I believe Ed Bosson is the Father of VRS.

Hats off to Ed for making this happen!

Interesting I saw and met Ed Bosson before at
one of these deaf conferences a few years ago !!
I did NOT realize that he's the VRS Father ... Congrats!

Cool !

And... That Mark Seeger was at my sister's wedding in California :)
And also met/chat with Jon Hodson and also Linda Nelson at other events

A Bit off the topic: My former bosses happened to be
a Father of the Internet (with ARPA/Darpa)

Remember that if it was NOT for the Internet,
none of these things could have occurred at all.

rockdrummer said:
The Sorenson VP-100 needs the following ports open to function properly.

Inbound Ports:
• Port 1720 (TCP & UDP)
• Ports 15328-15333 (TCP & UDP)
Outbound Ports:
• Ports 1024-65535 (TCP & UDP)
• Port 21 (FTP)
• Port 80 (HTTP)
• Port 389 (LDAP)

uh oh where you gotta that port number from? you got it from outdated manual?

port 389 not need anymore
block it in router your vp work

qwerty123 said:
uh oh where you gotta that port number from? you got it from outdated manual? port 389 not need anymore
block it in router your vp work
I got it from a manual that I just downloaded from the Sorenson website 2 days ago. It also matches with what is on the box that the VP came in. LDAP is the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol and is used for accessing information directories. I understand that this would be the means of cross referencing a directory of VP's to actual devices. If they don't use LDAP anymore then there must be another means of accomplishing this. I am not here to argue with you as to the accuracy of the Sorenson documentation but if what you say is true, then what did they replace the industry standard LDAP with?

rockdrummer said:
I got it from a manual that I just downloaded from the Sorenson website 2 days ago. It also matches with what is on the box that the VP came in. LDAP is the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol and is used for accessing information directories. I understand that this would be the means of cross referencing a directory of VP's to actual devices. If they don't use LDAP anymore then there must be another means of accomplishing this. I am not here to argue with you as to the accuracy of the Sorenson documentation but if what you say is true, then what did they replace the industry standard LDAP with?

CORE customized database

qwerty123 said:
CORE customized database
Really? Where would I find information on that? If this is the case, then Sorenson should update their documentation. How long have is it been since they replaced LDAP with CORE? Thanks for your help.

rockdrummer said:
Really? Where would I find information on that? If this is the case, then Sorenson should update their documentation. How long have is it been since they replaced LDAP with CORE? Thanks for your help.

proprietary database since begin 2006

rockdrummer said:

Wondering if you are Sorenson installer. It seems that you know so much about Sorenson but not this LDAP-Core stuff.

IloveVP said:
Wondering if you are Sorenson installer. It seems that you know so much about Sorenson but not this LDAP-Core stuff.

You need to stop accusing people of working for Sorenson because they're so smart about VRS. Attempting to discredit others by labelling them is a poor way to argue, Sorenson Fanboi.

I understand that blocking port 389 still allows updating of the VP and still receive the list. That would be the only evidence that Sorenson has possibly changed from LDAP to something else. It's also entirely possible that you can access LDAP services from a different port, such as port 80. That's not a big deal, and if you control both ends of the system, you control the transmission. There's lots of tunneling methods that are available out there for transmitting data as long as both ends are set up for non-standard transmissions.

IloveVP said:

me not installer

rockdrummer said:

you try envision and webcam and dial to other vp? find out!

Dennis said:
You need to stop accusing people of working for Sorenson because they're so smart about VRS. Attempting to discredit others by labelling them is a poor way to argue, Sorenson Fanboi.

I understand that blocking port 389 still allows updating of the VP and still receive the list. That would be the only evidence that Sorenson has possibly changed from LDAP to something else. It's also entirely possible that you can access LDAP services from a different port, such as port 80. That's not a big deal, and if you control both ends of the system, you control the transmission. There's lots of tunneling methods that are available out there for transmitting data as long as both ends are set up for non-standard transmissions.

Look who is talking... You have been negative on Sorenson for ages and ages. :dunno:

While my support for Sorenson is sparse, I do recognize that it exists and has developed some good things for deaf people. So, what, because it's done some apparently unethical things, that it's not okay to dislike them?

Get this. They have been lobbying to the FCC for VRS stuff. You know, sending people to Washington DC to push their various VRS initiatives like the E-911 system. They are suspected of then billing the hotel, flights, hours, meals, etc. to the FCC/NECA as part of their VRS costs. How screwed up is that?

It's in the FCC's ECFS system, the FCC wants YOUR comments on it. I'd LOVE to go on an all-expenses paid trip to visit the FCC and have them pay for everything, AND help my favorite VRS team win too!

Same here, Id love to death to get involved with VRS business. I would be dying to quit my job and join the VRS world, *IF* I am getting paid for it. I can't afford paying on my way!

Dennis said:
While my support for Sorenson is sparse, I do recognize that it exists and has developed some good things for deaf people. So, what, because it's done some apparently unethical things, that it's not okay to dislike them?

Get this. They have been lobbying to the FCC for VRS stuff. You know, sending people to Washington DC to push their various VRS initiatives like the E-911 system. They are suspected of then billing the hotel, flights, hours, meals, etc. to the FCC/NECA as part of their VRS costs. How screwed up is that?

It's in the FCC's ECFS system, the FCC wants YOUR comments on it. I'd LOVE to go on an all-expenses paid trip to visit the FCC and have them pay for everything, AND help my favorite VRS team win too!

Dennis said:

Oh really... Is that right ?

IloveVP said:
Oh really... Is that right ?

Yup. Of course, since everything was filed under confidentiality, no one is actually named, but read here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-106A1.doc

Look under "Legal and Lobbying expenses." $2 million for "some" providers? Methinks only one provider has done that much legal and lobbying work. From the relevant section:

For example, is it lawful and reasonable under Section 225 to reimburse travel, hotel, and meal costs associated with lobbying? Are costs associated with setting up web sites and mail campaigns to encourage the general public to lobby the Commission to raise VRS rates appropriate for public funding? Is it reasonable under Section 225 to reimburse legal expenses associated with petitioning for rule changes? Should amounts allowed for legal and lobbying expenses be uniform for all providers, or be tied to the number or minutes of service provided? We also seek comment on any other issues relating to the appropriate compensation of legal, lobbying, and related expenses.

qwerty123 said:
proprietary database since begin 2006
Thanks but what I was asking for is a link or some reference to the technology from the industry.

Back