District files appeal against deaf student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the name of this forum is alldeaf and the oral deaf are part of the deaf community, Jackie is in the proper place. As for the rest of your post, just your usual delusional rantings and ravings.

Jacki isn't oral deaf. Jackie is an oralist. And she's not in the proper place if she isn't willing to give the respect that is deserved. You come to a forum entitled AllDeaf, its a pretty good indiction that you are going to be in the company of deaf people. If you open yourself up to them expressing your opinions, then you have to take what you get. Just like choosing strictly oral education for a deaf child. You put yourself and your child in that position. You have no right to complain and ask others to fill the gaps for you. You made the choice, you deal with it lock, stock and barrel.

I read some of this person's posts and I hope he does stay in school for he has the makings of a fine lawyer. The legal analysis he stated in some of his posts is right on point.

If you had been able to comprehend his posts you would have understood that he was not calling you an "audist", what he said was:

"The definition of audist is a person who thinks themselves better based on hearing status. You portray in your posts a person who thinks manually raised or operating Deaf are superiorly raised to orally raised. You may not think you do, but that is the picture I have made of you over time."

He very adeptly took your argument and crammed it back down your throat! Bravo!

However, the most telling comment he made as to why he has a bright future ahead of him is this:

"I don't debate with people who want to argue with me if I say the sky is blue."

No, rick he didn't and only someone as ignorant as the poster could even come up with that conclusion.

And he didn't even address my argument. It was his argument. And his misperception, as well.

BTW, he dropped out of his pre-law program and is now in a terp training program.

Yes, jackie, and this is a very young, very new student whohas no idea what he is talking about. He needs to stay in school and have quite a bit more exposure to the DEaf community. The fact that he even applied the word "audist" to me tell s me that he is very new in his education. LIkewise, his only exposure to the Deaf community has been in his very new classes.

He is enthusiastic, and he is idealistic, but he is also very unrealistic and naive. And you certianly haven't won any points with the deaf community by posting his comments here. He has had one intro psych course and fancies himself qualified to speak on the psychological aspects of deafness.

He is taking some ASl classes, and fancies himself an expert on the Deaf.

He was homeschooled and considers himself expert on the subject of the public school system.

He stated early on in the discussion that he was an interpreter. Then later on, he backs down and admits that he has just begun intrpreter training.

He thought you were a single mother.

He didn't not realize that gpa was a grade point average of all of a students's grades. He doesn't know the difference, despite numerous explanations, of the difference between interpretation and transcription.

Sorry, girl, but you haven't increased your credibility one iota. If you want to add credence to your argument, I'd start quoting people a bit more qualified than an adolescent terp in training

Please, jackie, get off the Jillio is picking on me. The fact of the matter is, the person who have jsut quoted is the only one that supports you. Want me to point out some of the other posters that think you are ridiculas?

Jillo have you noticed that everyone but you is wrong. And anyone who disagrees with you doesn't know anythhing.

I wanted to let you all know that my daughter will be starting the school year of with CART. A contract was signed on Thursday. We are very excited about my daughter starting the new year off with CART,

Thank you, Pete. I've had problems with bouts of depressions since grade school days and some of have been so bad that I used to wonder if I'd live to be 40. Problems with depression and Bipolar runs in my family; several members of my family have been hospitlized for it.

Both of my parents have worked in the medical field; my dad is a retired doctor and my mom was a nurse before she married my father.

They've known I was deaf since I was 9 mo old. I do not recall many visits with my audiologist though. My parents are not very flexible about things and I think that's what caused a lot of problems for me.

Dear deaf skeptic
I am so sorry you have had to go through what you have with your parents. Stories like yours, makes me sure that I always talk to my children and make sure that I am meeting their needs. What an amazing person you must be to be able to survive what you have. You are much stronger then you give yourself credit.
More power to you and to all those other people that have gone through what you have.

Until the appeal is heard.

I know that with your comments you think that you are trying to make me feel discouraged but you do not. We had a hearing this past week and the district was not looked favorable by the federal judge. I won't say anymore since you are always threating me that if court system or district could use the informtion against us.

Jackie,
Overall, most of the sucessful oral types are middle class or otherwise have quite a bit of money and resources to spend on oral training.
That doesn't mean that poor or "gotta work" working class folks won't be sucessful if they pursue the oral only route. Just that it's gonna be a lot harder. I bet if you looked up the stats on income,(for those enrolled in oral programs) you'd only find a small handful of not middle class, and not rich people.
jackie, actually the thing that's equalivant to a 'terp for an oral deaf person is an oral 'terp. Ever hear of those? Lots of Deaf people can and do use CART.......I know MANY Deaf kids who can very easily "code switch", and can use 'terps, CART etc.
Besides, why the hell spend so much money on somethign just b/c your daughter's not hearing the class jokes? It would be different if your daughter wasn't doing well..............but she IS doing well.
EVERYONE would support you if your daughter wasn't doing well, even thou she can't use Sign in an educational setting. But this is basicly trying to kill a flea with a thermonuclear bomb!

Since the name of this forum is alldeaf and the oral deaf are part of the deaf community, Jackie is in the proper place. As for the rest of your post, just your usual delusional rantings and ravings.

Agree. :) I'd also like to state that Jackie herself did not start this topic, but did join in when she found out it was on going.

Either those of us who are deaf are deaf (even us oral ones) or the Deaf/ deaf debate is still very much ongoing. I actually thought it was pretty much over but seems not to be.

Agree. :) I'd also like to state that Jackie herself did not start this topic, but did join in when she found out it was on going.

Yes, Jag is right I only joined because the newspaper article on my daughter was being discussed here and there were things being said that were wrong so that is I why I joined, because you were discussing my daughter and you had no idea who she was. Once I joined I encountered people that I really enjoyed talking too so that is why I have stayed. /COLOR]

Either those of us who are deaf are deaf (even us oral ones) or the Deaf/ deaf debate is still very much ongoing. I actually thought it was pretty much over but seems not to be.

I agree with Jag, there are threads here on CIs, oralism, and all sorts of different topics that involved the oral deaf. Just because my children are oral does not mean that they are not deaf. The title of this forum is all deaf not just deaf that sign.

Jillo, do you see where the title says all deaf. If the title means that only deaf can be here then you are not deaf just like I am deaf and we both should leave.

Jackie,
Overall, most of the sucessful oral types are middle class or otherwise have quite a bit of money and resources to spend on oral training.
That doesn't mean that poor or "gotta work" working class folks won't be sucessful if they pursue the oral only route. Just that it's gonna be a lot harder. I bet if you looked up the stats on income,(for those enrolled in oral programs) you'd only find a small handful of not middle class, and not rich people.
jackie, actually the thing that's equalivant to a 'terp for an oral deaf person is an oral 'terp. Ever hear of those? Lots of Deaf people can and do use CART.......I know MANY Deaf kids who can very easily "code switch", and can use 'terps, CART etc.
Besides, why the hell spend so much money on somethign just b/c your daughter's not hearing the class jokes? It would be different if your daughter wasn't doing well..............but she IS doing well.
EVERYONE would support you if your daughter wasn't doing well, even thou she can't use Sign in an educational setting. But this is basicly trying to kill a flea with a thermonuclear bomb!

DO you really think that the middle class doesn't 'gotta work' just like people who don't make as much money? Do you know that in this state about 63000 puts you into the higher tax bracket? One reason people mover out of the 'lower' class is because their parents insisted they learn in school.

BTW, why if the school 'offered' both a terp or a notetaker is it so bad if a child raised orally asks for CART. Are the costs so different? If they're willing to pay of a terp why not for CART instead? ahh the things that make you go hmmmmmm..

Anyway, in reference to his classroom. He changed his seating arrangement years ago to a horseshoe arrangement because he believes that even with hearing students, that sort of arrangement is less isolating and encourages themto take part in class discussions, etc. He can see all of his students at once, and they can see him.

Just saying, sometimes the traditional way is not the best way for any student. Takes an educator that can think outside the box and is dedicated to their students to make a few changes that are for the better education of the students. And sometimes, its the small, low tech, low cost solutions that provide the most benefit.
How do you get 35 kids in one class in a horshoe arrangement?

DO you really think that the middle class doesn't 'gotta work' just like people who don't make as much money? Do you know that in this state about 63000 puts you into the higher tax bracket? One reason people mover out of the 'lower' class is because their parents insisted they learn in school.

BTW, why if the school 'offered' both a terp or a notetaker is it so bad if a child raised orally asks for CART. Are the costs so different? If they're willing to pay of a terp why not for CART instead? ahh the things that make you go hmmmmmm..

Jag I am not sure what state you are in but here in CA a terp and a notetaker will equal the price of CART. So what is the difference.

Cloggy, they did it all the time at my college. Or do a ciricular/square arrangment. My third grade teacher had that set up (and that was about 18 years ago......eeeeekkkkkkk) It's not THAT unknown as a solution.
I for one think that Jackie should try that for her daughter.
Well first of all, I think that the majority of dhh kids can and should learn Sign early on, so they have that tool in their toolbox. Visual processing is a strengh for the gross majority of dhh folks. Therefore they should learn techniques which capitalize on that strengh.
Second of all, we're NOT against kids who "really need it" not getting CART. If an oral dhh kid is not doing well, with more traditional interventions.........GET THEM CART ASAP! However in this case it just seems like Jackie is whining b/c she's suddenly realized that oral only has not given her daughter 100% access to the hearing world. I mean we're talking about a student who has an amazing GPA.

jag, I do understand the differences in economics in different places. HOWEVER, middle class people in general do tend to have more resources and things to funnel into their kids' educations. That is a fact! They are more likely to be able to have good health insurance, be able to relocate to good oral schools, be able to supplement on publicly available EI etc.

I cant speak too much on this, but having a teleprompting and real time transcription on a large screen would help not the deaf student, but some of the hearing ones as well.

Public schools waste so much money on admistration when they could easily make a small change that can benefit everything.

I would loved to have seen the word "rendezvous" and know that they say it like "rondayvu"

I agree with Jag, there are threads here on CIs, oralism, and all sorts of different topics that involved the oral deaf. Just because my children are oral does not mean that they are not deaf. The title of this forum is all deaf not just deaf that sign.

Jillo, do you see where the title says all deaf. If the title means that only deaf can be here then you are not deaf just like I am deaf and we both should leave.

Yes, dear deaf. No I am not deaf, but have been welcomed by the deaf posters here on AD. Why? Because I seek to understand their experience, and use it to improve circumstances for all deaf children. Can you claim the same?

Jag I am not sure what state you are in but here in CA a terp and a notetaker will equal the price of CART. So what is the difference.

Because one provides interpretation and transcription, and the other provides transcription only. Two separate ways to transmit information as opposed to one.

Hey I am not the one making up things, BTW Petey have you found that post yet where you said that I trashed deaf children or are you ready to admit that you just made it up?

It's your attitude, I don't have to find a thing.

Oh, and by the way, the name is Pete. I used that nickname at a college I attended, so unless you know me from that college and can name it, I'd appreciate being called Pete. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back