Disgraced pastor Haggard admits second relationship with man

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everyone involved was a minor?

It still should have been followed up on. I wonder if the youth pastor didn't want to pursue it because he feared he would be blamed for not supervising the group properly?

The boys should have been punished, and the poor girl should have been given counsel and support. All the parents should have been informed and involved. You shouldn't have been shunned. You should have also been provided counseling and support. It doesn't seem like anyone was dealt with properly.

I agree but this is a far too common way of the church dealing with inner problems, they turn a blind eye to it and simply say they know nothing.

If the church can't police themselves in these situations then perhaps the state should get involved. I know there is a seperation of church and state and I strongly agree with that as when religion controls laws and religion begins to control the personal lives of citizens bad things happen for everyone, but if a minor is assaulted and is unreported and undisciplined then the state needs to do some investigating on WHY the church turned a blind eye. Maybe even remove the church leadership by revoking pastoral licenses and keeping them from a leadership position within a church and possibly having the youth minister relinquish his title and register as a sex offender and he/she will no longer be able to be around minors. Sounds extreme, but this is an extreme problem that is very likely under-reported across the States. Look at the Catholic church - it could happen to ANY church and ANY denomination.

Here we go again.

You're just itching to get this thread locked.

No, I responsed some ADer´s posts over those issues, they mentioned, not bring up those issues...

I agree but this is a far too common way of the church dealing with inner problems, they turn a blind eye to it and simply say they know nothing.

If the church can't police themselves in these situations then perhaps the state should get involved. I know there is a seperation of church and state and I strongly agree with that as when religion controls laws and religion begins to control the personal lives of citizens bad things happen for everyone, but if a minor is assaulted and is unreported and undisciplined then the state needs to do some investigating on WHY the church turned a blind eye. Maybe even remove the church leadership by revoking pastoral licenses and keeping them from a leadership position within a church and possibly having the youth minister relinquish his title and register as a sex offender and he/she will no longer be able to be around minors. Sounds extreme, but this is an extreme problem that is very likely under-reported across the States. Look at the Catholic church - it could happen to ANY church and ANY denomination.

Well said. Dixie. This wasn't the first incidence of this conduct with this particular pastor.

If the church can't police themselves in these situations then perhaps the state should get involved. I know there is a seperation of church and state and I strongly agree with that as when religion controls laws and religion begins to control the personal lives of citizens bad things happen for everyone, but if a minor is assaulted and is unreported and undisciplined then the state needs to do some investigating on WHY the church turned a blind eye. Maybe even remove the church leadership by revoking pastoral licenses and keeping them from a leadership position within a church and possibly having the youth minister relinquish his title and register as a sex offender and he/she will no longer be able to be around minors.
Legally, the state can't remove pastors or revoke their ordinations as pastor because those aren't civil positions. Pastors are ordained by their churches, not civil organizations (except in places like China).

The police can arrest sex offenders and any other law breakers, regardless of church membership or position. But the police or any other government agency can't tell churches how to administer their churches.

It's up to churches to fire sex offenders, or do background checks when hiring. Church discipline is limited to kicking offenders out of office and out of their membership.

Church discipline is also allowed for behaviors that are legal, so that's another reason that church discipline and criminal law enforcement are two different things.

I agree..nothing wrong with being gay but there is something wrong when someone preaches that being gay is sinful or morally wrong but yet engages in the same behavior...has to practice what he preaches..that's the moral of the story.

Exactly but expect some people on here to not "get it" because that's always the standard.

Why is Haggard so afraid of being honest? Honesty is the best policy and though I'm not a religious man, I always try to be honest in my life. That's just common sense. Haggard really has nothing to fear by admitting his mistakes.

Haggard is a disgusting man whom I've never held in high regard.

But, he is a human being too. Doesn't he deserve your forgiveness and the forgiveness of everyone else?

But, he is a human being too. Doesn't he deserve your forgiveness and the forgiveness of everyone else?
Only those whom he harmed can forgive him. That would include God, Haggard's wife, family, and congregation.

Would you?
If he had caused me harm, I could forgive him. But I still wouldn't approve of him being a pastor or having any other spiritual leadership position. Sin has consequences. If he truly repented and wanted the best for the cause of Christ he would understand and accept that.

Controversy involving Haggard first erupted in November 2006, when a former prostitute, Mike Jones, said the pastor had paid him for sex over three years and had used methamphetamine in his presence.

Haggard initially admitted in interviews that he received a massage from Jones but denied having sex with him. He also said he bought methamphetamine, but threw it away instead of using it.

Don't Miss
Haggard: I contemplated suicide after first scandal
Disgraced pastor Haggard facing new sex allegations
Haggard: 'I'm guilty of so many things'
The assertions received widespread news coverage and sparked charges of hypocrisy, particularly because Haggard had condemned homosexual sex. Watch Haggard address allegations on Oprah »

Yeah, right!:roll:

Yeaaaah, the bible also says you're supposed to put homosexuals to death. Why don't I see anyone following that scripture, hmmmmmm? Come on now people, let's not pick and choose! Line 'em up, throw 'em in camps, brand the homosexuals with numbers!

Oh...wait. That already happened. In Nazi germany.

And you call this a loving god?

Right..

Mod's note:

Please, people... let's stay on topic. Consider this a warning.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone"

Last edited:
My Lutheran pastor was awesome. He was so laid back. All you have to do is ask for forgiveness and everythings ok. He never spewed any bs about gays or others going to hell. He was about trying to be a better person and that no one is perfect. Just dont be afraid to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back