Discrimination

When I was 19 years old, I had worked at Jack in the Box for almost 4 years at that time. I wanted to move up to Shift Leader cuz I felt that I knew how the restaurant was run from inside out. No, I wasnt looking for career as I was still going to college but wanted a promotion for more money and more challenges since I was so bored with being a cashier, cook, and stocker. Wanted the experience of running a shift and of course, any kind of management experience always looks good on a resume regardless of where the job is at. My boss told me that he couldnt promote me cuz of my deafness...I was shocked and knew something was wrong in the picture but didnt know what. I didnt really understand the ADA and my rights as my parents never really talked about me about those issues. They were in denial about my deafness so I told my mom and she said "You werent seeking a career with Jack in the Box anyway." I took her words to heart but 20 years later to now, I wish I didnt and had fought cuz the company got away with it. I regret quitting after I was told that I would never get promoted. I wish I had taken to the next step but I was just a ignorant kid.

That was a big-time discrimination situation I have ever experienced.

I have experienced discrimination by hearing people for not treating me as someone who has a brain like they do.
That sucks.

I wasn't aware of the ADA when I worked at my local grocery store years ago. I started out as a bagger. It took me a long time to prove that I was worthy of getting a promotion or taking a different position in the store. The reason for not promoting me was because of my deafness. My supervisor eventually saw the potential in me and mentioned that he was going to consider giving me the chance soon. Then he got transferred before it happened. The new supervisor didn't see it that way and I had to prove him. Again, when the time came... he got transferred and I had to start all over each time. It happened 4 or 5 times in 18 months. There were other deaf co-workers who were baggers and they never really did their jobs well. That's probably why I had a difficult time proving myself. The last supervisor was actually the worst. He never intended to promote me. He just told me that I would never get anywhere and that I was deaf and didn't have the skills to be a manager or do anything better than what I was doing.

Then a few years later, I became assistant manager at my local video rental store. One night, he came in as a customer. When he saw me, he chuckled a bit and said something like... "Oh, you're here now? Hahaha... so, what are you? A cashier? Hahaha..." I looked at him straight in the eyes and said, "Nope, I'm the manager. Can I help you with something?" He choked. After a few seconds, he went through his transaction with absolute silence and then walked out in quiet embarrassment. ;)

I wasn't fully aware of the ADA until I went to RIT. (Just like I never knew about ASL until I went to RIT.) :)

It is not the norm to interrupt a seminar speaker. It is the norm to ask those that constantly interrupt to leave.
Yeah, that's right.

It's more respectful and mature to hold everything until the end and then explain afterward.

I dont want to win cases, I just want a chance to move up.
I know the feeling.

Unfortunately, there are people who will immediately jump to a lawsuit without taking the time to take a step back and see the whole picture before determining what could be done to improve the situation.

A friend of mine had a co-worker who immediately got upset with the accommodations that she requested. She thought that her employer had to provide her with the exact accommodations that she requested or it was considered discrimination. She ended up spending her time at work researching on ADA stuff and finding out how she could sue her employer... that she ended up getting fired for not doing her work. Now, she has no case. :roll:

Exactly.

If it was a class-action lawsuit--then it would've taken a lot longer. Since it was me--it was about right.

Did you know that if you were involved in a MVA and file a lawsuit against the other party--that could take about 1.5 years to 2 years?

My wife had to deal with that one. someone ran a stop light and they sewed her. unfortunately there was no proof they ran the red light. she was the only one in her car and they had her her husband and 3 kids. She said I wouldnt run a red light with my kids my car.... they won sorta but the insurance paid it all. They were so rediculous.

Have you ever felt discriminated on VP when somebody important asked you that they can't talk to you thought VI for confident reason? As many of you know I work for Purple Company, I was using VI though VP-200 as usual for business reasons. So I came cross to call my ISP or phone company for information or had a account with them. What did I get? Discrimination. They won't allow to speak to me because of confident reason unless they see me personal. Wtf...?? Hearing people can call on their phones, why can't we? They ask for VI name and who they are. They aren't allowed because of the policy. VI use numbers only. Still VI certificated are federal service. I did ask for their supervisors. No problem with them really. So why the hell are wrong with those people?

Maybe this was because there would be an interpreter and they might say stuff.

Maybe this was because there would be an interpreter and they might say stuff.

Like I say certified interpreter that interpreted for you are confident. They can't know our informations. If they did, they would sue and fine the interpreter or even fried from their job. Even lawsuit. All certified interpreter are federal services.

like required diversity training which happened during 1993 to 2000 for feds. Also forced AIDS training too.
some firms offered re-retraining for those who were demoralized...

What are forced privileges workshops?

Deafness.

They wouldn't provide for an interpreter for staff meetings after requesting it several times.

I filed a complaint with EEOC and then my employer fired me for doing that.

I sued.

I won.

Right on!

That sucks.

I wasn't aware of the ADA when I worked at my local grocery store years ago. I started out as a bagger. It took me a long time to prove that I was worthy of getting a promotion or taking a different position in the store. The reason for not promoting me was because of my deafness. My supervisor eventually saw the potential in me and mentioned that he was going to consider giving me the chance soon. Then he got transferred before it happened. The new supervisor didn't see it that way and I had to prove him. Again, when the time came... he got transferred and I had to start all over each time. It happened 4 or 5 times in 18 months. There were other deaf co-workers who were baggers and they never really did their jobs well. That's probably why I had a difficult time proving myself. The last supervisor was actually the worst. He never intended to promote me. He just told me that I would never get anywhere and that I was deaf and didn't have the skills to be a manager or do anything better than what I was doing.

Then a few years later, I became assistant manager at my local video rental store. One night, he came in as a customer. When he saw me, he chuckled a bit and said something like... "Oh, you're here now? Hahaha... so, what are you? A cashier? Hahaha..." I looked at him straight in the eyes and said, "Nope, I'm the manager. Can I help you with something?" He choked. After a few seconds, he went through his transaction with absolute silence and then walked out in quiet embarrassment. ;)

I wasn't fully aware of the ADA until I went to RIT. (Just like I never knew about ASL until I went to RIT.) :)

My girlfriend is expierencing the same you did. They tell her she can't be a checker and has to stay a bagger because she is deaf. I told her that's descrimination.

That's terrible. Deaf people are able body just like everyone else. What make them different from other people?? They can’t hear which doesn’t mean they can’t do the job. This is one of the issues that my husband and I argue about. He’s hearing and I’m hard of hearing. He works for an oil rig and he told me that there is no way a deaf person can work there because they have to hear alarm and etc. I asked him what if a deaf person went to his work place and apply a job there. He told me that they won’t hire him but I told him that’s discrimination. He doesn’t see it that way. I’m so tired of fighting with him over this. He’s in the wrong and I know I’m right. I can understand the concern of hearing the alarm if the water level gets low or too high. I told him that the ADA can provide special device for him but he won’t listen so we end the discussion. The problems with employers that they don’t want the ADA get involved in their business and I think it’s wrong. That’s one reason that I was let go from my previous job because my ex-employers don’t want the ADA involved so they fired me by setting me up. I was on medical leave for 6 weeks and it made them mad. I haven’t take off on any medical leave for 9 years and I very seldom take off. They want this new girl who can hear and she’s very young and naïve. I tried fighting in court but I didn’t have enough evidence and didn’t had enough time to collect them.
What’s RIT?
Thanks,
Lauria

I was going to get a job at the local hardware store here a few months past, but you have to be able to use the radio (walkie talkies).

So, the answer is DLA (Deaf Liberation Army)? the military arm of the poltically NAD...

I tried fighting in court but I didn’t have enough evidence and didn’t had enough time to collect them.
What’s RIT?
Thanks,
Lauria

problems with college acceptance of hearing dog

I have a question that hopefully someone will know the answer to. I live in Illinois and will be attending a community college in August.
The college wants me to submit a bunch of paper and documentations and letters describing how a hearing dog will affect my education specifically.
Is it legal for them to ask for all of this paperwork? I thought that hearing dogs had to be allowed everywhere that I go. Does anybody know the answer to this?

I have a question that hopefully someone will know the answer to. I live in Illinois and will be attending a community college in August.
The college wants me to submit a bunch of paper and documentations and letters describing how a hearing dog will affect my education specifically.
Is it legal for them to ask for all of this paperwork? I thought that hearing dogs had to be allowed everywhere that I go. Does anybody know the answer to this?

documentations showing the proof of your disability? yes required.
a letter to describe how a hearing dog will affect your education specifically? I think that's illegal. Your rights to bring a service dog to anywhere should be UNFETTERED AND UNQUESTIONED. You should not be explaining why you need to bring a service dog to ANYONE.

documentations showing the proof of your disability? yes required.
a letter to describe how a hearing dog will affect your education specifically? I think that's illegal. Your rights to bring a service dog to anywhere should be UNFETTERED AND UNQUESTIONED. You should not be explaining why you need to bring a service dog to ANYONE.

Thank you. This helps. I will do some more checking on the explanation part. I was also asked if I have used a hearing dog for school before in the past. I don't think this is any of their business, as I am only getting the dog on the 25th of this month.

Back