Discrimination

Have you ever felt discriminated on VP when somebody important asked you that they can't talk to you thought VI for confident reason? As many of you know I work for Purple Company, I was using VI though VP-200 as usual for business reasons. So I came cross to call my ISP or phone company for information or had a account with them. What did I get? Discrimination. They won't allow to speak to me because of confident reason unless they see me personal. Wtf...?? Hearing people can call on their phones, why can't we? They ask for VI name and who they are. They aren't allowed because of the policy. VI use numbers only. Still VI certificated are federal service. I did ask for their supervisors. No problem with them really. So why the hell are wrong with those people?

discrimination against race, gender, sexual orientation is not a very cryptic subject. it happens all the time and for those that under went that process, im sorry. it is at least a somewhat decent thing that most individuals aren't being discriminated against for being deaf.

When I was 19 years old, I had worked at Jack in the Box for almost 4 years at that time. I wanted to move up to Shift Leader cuz I felt that I knew how the restaurant was run from inside out. No, I wasnt looking for career as I was still going to college but wanted a promotion for more money and more challenges since I was so bored with being a cashier, cook, and stocker. Wanted the experience of running a shift and of course, any kind of management experience always looks good on a resume regardless of where the job is at. My boss told me that he couldnt promote me cuz of my deafness...I was shocked and knew something was wrong in the picture but didnt know what. I didnt really understand the ADA and my rights as my parents never really talked about me about those issues. They were in denial about my deafness so I told my mom and she said "You werent seeking a career with Jack in the Box anyway." I took her words to heart but 20 years later to now, I wish I didnt and had fought cuz the company got away with it. I regret quitting after I was told that I would never get promoted. I wish I had taken to the next step but I was just a ignorant kid.

That was a big-time discrimination situation I have ever experienced.

I have experienced discrimination by hearing people for not treating me as someone who has a brain like they do.

because it is the norm to interrupt. Go to any diversity seminar or forced privileges workshop and hear the word handicapped a lot. Fight the Power.

WTH?

Why would you continually interrupt an individual who is giving a presentation when one can wait until the end of the presentation to let them know about the term, "handicapped"?

All you two did was berate each other instead of empowering one another.

When I was 19 years old, I had worked at Jack in the Box for almost 4 years at that time. I wanted to move up to Shift Leader cuz I felt that I knew how the restaurant was run from inside out. No, I wasnt looking for career as I was still going to college but wanted a promotion for more money and more challenges since I was so bored with being a cashier, cook, and stocker. Wanted the experience of running a shift and of course, any kind of management experience always looks good on a resume regardless of where the job is at. My boss told me that he couldnt promote me cuz of my deafness...I was shocked and knew something was wrong in the picture but didnt know what. I didnt really understand the ADA and my rights as my parents never really talked about me about those issues. They were in denial about my deafness so I told my mom and she said "You werent seeking a career with Jack in the Box anyway." I took her words to heart but 20 years later to now, I wish I didnt and had fought cuz the company got away with it. I regret quitting after I was told that I would never get promoted. I wish I had taken to the next step but I was just a ignorant kid.

I have experienced discrimination by hearing people for not treating me as someone who has a brain like they do.

Because it's business and a single person can ruin a company so that's probably why they couldn't afford the risk to promote you maybe? Although it's still a discrimination because we are capable and destiny for greater things. Deafness had nothing to do with it, but skills. We have be discriminated one times too may no matter how hard we try. People often use us for granted. No what what your resumes are, sometimes we never get a chance to build greater career after promote.

because it is the norm to interrupt. Go to any diversity seminar or forced privileges workshop and hear the word handicapped a lot. Fight the Power.

Are you talking about the norm of the Deaf culture to interrupt?

Remember we are dealing with the dominant culture--Hearing. They don't like to be interrupted when speaking and when there is an opening--then we 'Fight the Power'. :)

Remember we are dealing with the dominant culture--Hearing. They don't like to be interrupted when speaking and when there is an opening--then we 'Fight the Power'. :)

It is not the norm to interrupt a seminar speaker. It is the norm to ask those that constantly interrupt to leave.

It is not the norm to interrupt a seminar speaker. It is the norm to ask those that constantly interrupt to leave.

I think I should've been a little more specific on my post....

What I was referring to is when the speaker asks if there are any questions or comments that one wants to make and when that happens--then one can tell the speaker about their viewpoint on the word, "handicapped".

Educating those that don't know is the key. :)

I experienced something similar at my first job at a grocery store. I worked as a bagger for a couple of months, hoping to be promoted to cashier. With the union, the pay is really good. Anyways, they never promoted me and they were hiring people off the street to start as cashiers. They were the same age as me.

I talked to the manager about it but all I got was the run around. I got the hint that they would never promote me. So I ended up quitting. The weird thing was, I never asked for any accomadations and my hoh was never an issue. I worked hard too but it didnt matter.

Being hired by company that never intends to let you move up the ladder is as bad as not being hired at all. You end up wasting your seniority.

Because it's business and a single person can ruin a company so that's probably why they couldn't afford the risk to promote you maybe? Although it's still a discrimination because we are capable and destiny for greater things. Deafness had nothing to do with it, but skills. We have be discriminated one times too may no matter how hard we try. People often use us for granted. No what what your resumes are, sometimes we never get a chance to build greater career after promote.

Theres always a risk promoting a employee whether they are deaf or not. To deny someone the opportunity because they are deaf is just wrong.

The weird thing was, I never asked for any accomadations and my hoh was never an issue. I worked hard too but it didnt matter.

Being hired by company that never intends to let you move up the ladder is as bad as not being hired at all. You end up wasting your seniority.

I know what you are saying. I been there several times and hate it.

My boss said in his words that it was because of my deafness that he wouldnt promote me. Besides Jack in the Box is a huge company..I doubt I could ruin it.

My boss said in his words that it was because of my deafness that he wouldnt promote me. Besides Jack in the Box is a huge company..I doubt I could ruin it.

Only one incident almost did--the e.coli outbreak.

I have a case of employment discrimination, which is still ongoing (since April 2005).
I also won a couple of discrimination cases (Denied me of communication access). All five cases of them together since 2005. The cases goes on and on and on. I am patient because I know my rights were violated and I will get what I deserve to get.

Have you ever felt discriminated on VP when somebody important asked you that they can't talk to you thought VI for confident reason? As many of you know I work for Purple Company, I was using VI though VP-200 as usual for business reasons. So I came cross to call my ISP or phone company for information or had a account with them. What did I get? Discrimination. They won't allow to speak to me because of confident reason unless they see me personal. Wtf...?? Hearing people can call on their phones, why can't we? They ask for VI name and who they are. They aren't allowed because of the policy. VI use numbers only. Still VI certificated are federal service. I did ask for their supervisors. No problem with them really. So why the hell are wrong with those people?
Have you tried emailing your ISP or other communication methods offered by your ISP?

My ISP has live-chat. If I have problems, I use the live chat. I get better response and help that way. :)

Back