Difference between HARD of HEARING and DEAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is like one saying that gay people are not allowed to get married because it is morally wrong. That's why there are protests against this kind of thinking.

It's a religious view, and freedom of speech and freedom of religion are protected rights and people are entitled to those too, even if it's "unpopular."

It's a religious view, and freedom of speech and freedom of religion are protected rights and people are entitled to those too, even if it's "unpopular."

He is telling Alleycat and others that they aren't Deaf after they have identified themselves as Deaf. Like they aren't allowed to identify themselves that way just like telling gay people that they aren't allowed to get married.

He is telling Alleycat and others that they aren't Deaf after they have identified themselves as Deaf. Like they aren't allowed to identify themselves that way just like telling gay people that they aren't allowed to get married.

That is correct, but that is not a personal attack on them. It is a debate on HoH and Deaf. And, you can't have a debate if you don't understand what Deaf means.

If Deaf means that anyone who contributes to and is accepted by the Deaf Community is a part of that community, why was Jane Fernandez not considered Deaf enough to be president of Gallaudet? It's not ancient history, it's 2006. And, she was just as deaf as anyone on this forum and contributed more the the Deaf Community too.

That is correct, but that is not a personal attack on them. It is a debate on HoH and Deaf. And, you can't have a debate if you don't understand what Deaf means.
so you're saying you do understand what Deaf means?

If Deaf means that anyone who contributes to and is accepted by the Deaf Community is a part of that community, why was Jane Fernandez not considered Deaf enough to be president of Gallaudet? It's not ancient history, it's 2006. And, she was just as deaf as anyone on this forum and contributed more the the Deaf Community too.

because they felt Jane Fernandez's management style and agenda was questionable, not because she's not deaf enough.

First so far I'd like to say that there is obviously a lot to be said about this topic more so than I realized when making the original post. Pretty kool and insightful stuff. I will say this though, In browsing all through this site I've noticed that people have the tendency to personally attack people. There's so much energy concerning these topics, can we all including myself (because I've made mistakes) try to stay rational. From what I see many people have their own individual personal viewpoint on what it is to part of Big D Deaf Culture or just what it means as a little d. As a matter of fact it has a lot to do with Identity from what I've seen. Anyways, making sure I stick to the point here. Keep in mind their are various reasons why people come to this site, sure some are idiots, but you also have people that have come to learn, or to find friends who can relate to them, or just to have another way of socializing. You have people that are coming an sharing some of what they learn or sharing their experiences and their character is immediately judged because in some way shape or form others feel they are being judged on the whole. Then the questions arise about how involved and how truly informed are you about deafness. The constant testing. If there's one opinion I have about some people on this site, remember that you are all individuals with your own thoughts and opinions about the experiences you have, STOP saying us, we, and them, it puts everyone under the same exact belief system when no 2 people are EXACTLY alike.

I think people already answered to you about the issue with Jane Fernandez but you are like a dog hanging on to his bone. You wont let go of it.

BTW..I never said it was a personal attack. It was more of a dictatorship on them.

First so far I'd like to say that there is obviously a lot to be said about this topic more so than I realized when making the original post. Pretty kool and insightful stuff. I will say this though, In browsing all through this site I've noticed that people have the tendency to personally attack people. There's so much energy concerning these topics, can we all including myself (because I've made mistakes) try to stay rational. From what I see many people have their own individual personal viewpoint on what it is to part of Big D Deaf Culture or just what it means as a little d. As a matter of fact it has a lot to do with Identity from what I've seen. Anyways, making sure I stick to the point here. Keep in mind their are various reasons why people come to this site, sure some are idiots, but you also have people that have come to learn, or to find friends who can relate to them, or just to have another way of socializing. You have people that are coming an sharing some of what they learn or sharing their experiences and their character is immediately judged because in some way shape or form others feel they are being judged on the whole. Then the questions arise about how involved and how truly informed are you about deafness. The constant testing. If there's one opinion I have about some people on this site, remember that you are all individuals with your own thoughts and opinions about the experiences you have, STOP saying us, we, and them, it puts everyone under the same exact belief system when no 2 people are EXACTLY alike.

You can be Deaf even wearing hearing aids or CIs.

so you're saying you do understand what Deaf means?

because they felt Jane Fernandez's management style and agenda was questionable, not because she's not deaf enough.

The board, "regretfully" with, "much regret and pain" made the decision to terminate Fernandez. I doubt very much her management style was the issue instead of a cultural clash at the school.

Origins of "Not Deaf Enough"

Be cool, be calm. And ask questions even if you feel your being accused, because if you don't you'll only accuse right back. I said in my original post to watch out for the potential personal attacks, stop that, lets learn how to have an informed positive debate without allowing ourselves to lose control. I'm black and I'm lesbian, but I don't lose it and make condescending personal attacks on people the minute they have something to say about either aspect about me.

You have learned much here, Shara. I think you will make a very good Alldeaf member.

The board, "regretfully" with, "much regret and pain" made the decision to terminate Fernandez. I doubt very much her management style was the issue instead of a cultural clash at the school.

Origins of "Not Deaf Enough"

I was there (not immediate) with the Deaf community during the protests. It was all about her management style. Not because she is not Deaf enough although there were a few who wanted her out for that reason. Remember, the media likes to twist things around and make things appear when they aren't. Look at the inaccurate reporting of the Boston Marathon Bombings.

Deaf people are not that dumb as to why they didn't want Jane for many reasons. I remember I was a senior in high school. They all told me that they dislike the way she operates the administration for some reasons.

Deaf people are not that dumb as to why they didn't want Jane for many reasons. I remember I was a senior in high school. They all told me that they dislike the way she operates the administration for some reasons.

Management, it seems, certainly wanted her. Yes, some administration did not, but she was the sitting person at the time. Jordan, was certainly not the only person who thought she had the potential to lead the college.

At the top level, lets say for a moment that it was management issue. Having gone to college, I don't see how the students would be privy to that information. If she was having managerial issues, other than the student counsel, ordinary student would not have enough information to make a decision based on that.

Back on topic: My point is, there is a cultural difference to what Deaf with a capital D means.

At Gallaudet, students are categorized according to their “type” of deafness—“capital D” deaf come from deaf signing families and went to deaf high schools, and “little d” deaf, who may be the only deaf person in their family, grew up speaking and lip reading, and went to mainstream schools. (Maura Judkis, 2006)

Jane K. Fernandes Gallaudet University

Hearing people have their own perspective of operating the administration at Gallaudet. Yet, Too many hearing people were on board of trustees.

Hearing people have their own perspective of operating the administration at Gallaudet. Yet, Too many hearing people were on board of trustees.

Well, Jane Fernandez was not hearing, she was deaf, late deafened to be exact. If deafness was not the issue and management was the issue, why would being hearing or late deafened make a difference?

Are you saying she was not deaf enough to properly manage a college?

Well, Jane Fernandez was not hearing, she was deaf, late deafened to be exact. If deafness was not the issue and management was the issue, why would being hearing or late deafened make a difference?

Are you saying she was not deaf enough to properly manage a college?

From what I am told that her attitude, and opinions are not what Deaf people are looking for. :dunno2: I wasn't there at this time but I know those people who didn't want her to be, so I believe them.

From what I am told that her attitude, and opinions are not what Deaf people are looking for. :dunno2: I wasn't there at this time but I know those people who didn't want her to be, so I believe them.

OK. An honest answer..

Point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back